Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Of course you can. But only one of the many things that kills children is a weapon whose purpose is to kill.

Next specious argument?
The purpose of my shotgun is to turn flying pieces of clay into smaller flying pieces of clay.

But for the record, my guns remain locked in a gun safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
This thread is about gun deaths, not vehicular ones. Try to stay on topic please.
Well, you can say that...however, when something kills more children that the OP, I would say that this is part of the conversation because it shows the priority of some people and thier mind set, i.e. they jump on a band wagon and don't care about the other thing that is more deadly then what is stated in the OP.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I see nothing wrong with holding adults responsible for gun accidents of their children, or children in their home, due to unsecured weapons or improperly trained children.

I don't see this as any different from parents who leave their children in hot car (though criminal charges are not common). It is typically a "tragic accident."

Old 09-30-2013, 07:40 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Clearly, it is the parents' fault (or whoever else leaves a gun, especially a loaded one, accessible to children). The question is, when are we going to start taking this problem more seriously? What is a reasonable punishment for a parent who leaves a gun accessible to a child?

The article mentions several preventative measures, such as safe storage and ID lock guns, but the NRA is firmly against them all.
I'm quite certain the worst punishment anyone will ever receive is the loss of the child.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Clearly, it is the parents' fault (or whoever else leaves a gun, especially a loaded one, accessible to children). The question is, when are we going to start taking this problem more seriously? What is a reasonable punishment for a parent who leaves a gun accessible to a child?

The article mentions several preventative measures, such as safe storage and ID lock guns, but the NRA is firmly against them all.

What you are doing is grouping all parents in one big bowl and saying all parent do this...

This is the problem that gun owners have with any new laws or restrictions that come out.

My son is 12 years old, I have about 10 guns in the house and always keep a pistol next to my bed...loaded....GASPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP... .

Guess what, he knows better thatn to play with it...even when friends are around...

Do you have a link that the NRA is firmly against those measures or are you just parroting....

Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Cars are intended for killing?
Nope, but they do...don't they...

Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
A very compelling and thought provoking piece from the New York Times about the realities of accidental child gun deaths in this country:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us...anted=all&_r=0
Let's outlaw swimming pools.

CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

Do you know how many children drown every year? Minorities more than anyone else!

People who leave guns lying around are stupid. I had guns in my home while my kids were growing up, but there was NO way on earth thry could get to them and fire them. They were BOTH in a locked gun safe, and in addition both had trigger locks.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
And they never taught the kids about gun safety.

As a very young kid, I was told to never touch a gun without an adult around. But that didn't matter. I had my own cap guns. As I got older (elementary school age), I was taught proper gun safety and shown just how destructive one could be. By the time I was in 7th and 8th grade, I was hunting by myself or with friends of the same age. This was just rabbit and squirrel hunting with a .22 or a shotgun.
Yes I agree....but it is not the guns fault....

Old 09-30-2013, 07:47 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Thank you. As you acknowledge, it's a weapon for killing. It is the only one of its kind that we allow children to play with. And we tell ourselves that it's all in the name of "liberty."

We are a very sick country.
It sure is about liberty. I have the freedom to protect myself with whatever means possible including the use of a firearm. With this, comes great responsibility. If I leave my gun out and my children can get it, it's my fault and I deal with any consequences with nobody to blame buy myself. Not society. Not the gun manufacturers. Me. Personal responsibility is a wonderful thing though. I highly recommend you try to practice it.

You know what's great about our country? We have the ability to choose. You don't want a gun, don't get one. But you have no right to tell other people they shouldn't have one either. But go on ahead with your crocodile tears using children as your shield for your anti-gun rants. Just be sure to include all those crazy car-owners as well for all the innocent children killed in car accidents.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Cars are intended for killing?
Nope. But they still kill.

Gun are intended to protect. They are also intended for recreation and even for food gathering. You against these practices as well??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies