Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 09:30 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,213,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Agreed. Though I am a hunter and target shooting enthusiast I also keep two weapons (Beretta 9mm and a Remington 870 12 gauge pump-with lights to ensure that I know what I'm shooting at in a dark room of course) specifically for home defense. I pray that I will never NEED to fire them at something other than a cardboard target. If someone forces their way into my home that is an immediate threat to mine and my family's safety and I would certainly meet that threat with an armed response. However, if I were to merely observe illegal activity (someone stealing from my yard, my neighbor's home, etc...) and my LIFE and my family's LIVES (not property) I would maintain a defensible position in my own home and call the police.

Few rational people would justify using deadly force in order to protect property. The only ratholes on earth where they still execute people for stealing are places like Saudi Arabia, Libya, Iran, etc... Futhermore, few people, no matter how big their internet balls might be, would have such an easy time snuffing out a human life. Ask yourself how it would feel to watch someone bleed out, their wheezing breaths turning into a "death rattle" as it is called as their lungs and esophagus fill with fluid. It's not like TV. Would you sleep comfortably at night after watching the life leave another human being's body right before your eyes knowing that you had caused it to happen? I think not. Again, I pray that I never have to use deadly force against an intruder, partly because if I do that death will be on my conscience for the rest of my life. Finally, I have to say that I'm not surprised by the responses, as topics such as these tend to bring the internet toughguys out of the woodwork.
Well I recently purchased an SK with a 30 rd clip for the sole intended purpose of killing a human being. I hope to the stars I never have to fire the thing at anything other than a paper target or a plastic milk jug but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I happen to have had not only the experience of the aroma of burnt human flesh, the smell of blood and brain matter upon my sleeve but also the experience of having a man die in my arms which has given me a different perspective than some folks I would gather. For these experiences, I am very much against the use of violence, war, or any related acts against humanity that are matter of choosing. However I have not one second of doubt or hesitation in the use of force to preserve my own life or that of the lives of my family.

The second amendment is a serious right that we Americans have and with it does come a great deal of responsibility and hopefully our best judgment.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,998,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
MODS, I hope this is noticed
Yes, very mature. I wonder how many of these folks have ever handled a weapon? I would guess not many. In fact, I bet most of their firearms training comes from Playstation. On the other hand, every yahoo who actually does own a firearm and thinks its ok to shoot thieves with no provocation is a DIRECT THREAT TO MY 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS which makes me quite steamed Regardless, I'm sure most of these wannabee "Punishers" would s--- their pants if someone put a loaded .45 into their hands, let alone if they fired it! I have a .357 that will break your arm if you're not careful, I'd like to see some of these keyboard jockeys hit the broadside of a barn with it.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I happen to have had not only the experience of the aroma of burnt human flesh, the smell of blood and brain matter upon my sleeve but also the experience of having a man die in my arms which has given me a different perspective than some folks I would gather.
Hilltopper, I'm guessing you're either a solider or a police officer and I thank you for your service. I've never served myself, but like you I regard the 2nd Amendment as a right that comes with great responsibility and I share your view that taking a human life is not fun and games. Thanks for adding a bit of sanity to this thread.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,098,120 times
I've handled firearms most of my life (mostly military), and I think we can all agree that there are much worse cases of 2nd amendment violations than this one. i.e. kid/school shooting sprees. So used to hearing it that when something of this nature comes along...it just doesn't phase me. Should it? Perhaps. But I've grown so insensitive to the 'bad guys winning', as it were, that this seemed like a 'break' from what I'm used to hearing

Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,446,964 times
Even though the burglars were committing a crime, the punishment (death) does not fit the crime. You are never allowed to use deadly force to protect personal property under the law!

In Florida we have the "castle doctrine" whereas you can justifiably shoot an intruder found in your own home because it's automatically presumed that you have a reasonable fear for your life in such situations ... but I just can't see extending that justification and defense to someone who goes to his neighbor's house and shoots burglars - unless the burglars were armed and turned on him first!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 PM

989 posts, read 2,764,556 times
Default Here's the next step

Cop Clips High Speed Biker*Video

It is a vid of a cop car (in Lithuania) pulling out in front of a speeding motorcycle and probably killing him.

If this guy can leave the safety of his home to kill two (in this case non-violent) burglars, then why not allow the average citizen to plow their car into speeders?

It would of course greatly reduce speeding if the average traffic criminal (i.e. speeder) knew that this was a possibility

Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 PM

I think this says it all

Old 11-19-2007, 10:11 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,194,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifizgud View Post
I'm for ridding the earth of lowlifes and their supporters! I like sleeping at night knowing I'll wake up in the mourning!
I agree! But I don't see why we need to stop with just petty crooks! Why can't we shoot speeders and drunk drivers? I think we should be allowed to shoot ANYONE who violates ANY law at ANY time!!

THAT would keep ALL criminals off the streets!!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I agree! But I don't see why we need to stop with just petty crooks! Why can't we shoot speeders and drunk drivers? I think we should be allowed to shoot ANYONE who violates ANY law at ANY time!!

THAT would keep ALL criminals off the streets!!
Ooo ooo ooo! Can we shoot loud cell phone talkers? How about kids who sag their pants? Or celebrities behaving badly?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,194,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
I am sick of them getting away too. I just don't believe that this sets a good precedent. Perhaps we need to spend more money on law enforcement?
I think more money is the answer more than people would like to think...

Recently, I was reading about a guy who killed 5 people in some town in Texas. The cops were alerted that he had killed a person, stolen a car and was heading to a specific place -- but they did nothing. While some people were saying "Our cops are really good" someone else pointed out that the police department was accepting cops with a "GED or equivalent" (What's the equivalent of a GED?) and were paying basically nothing.

You get what you pay for. Our town pays about $70K a year for a new cop and we're ranked in the top 25 "safest cities" list that came out today. Our cops aren't lazy and they ARE smart: College degrees are required and many are bilingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies