Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
This government shut down has not been like the others. In 1995 the GOP controlled Congress did their job and passed a budget. Clinton's veto shut down government. In 1984 the Democrat controlled Congress did their job and passed a budget. Reagan's veto shut down government. In this case, however, the GOP controlled House did not do their job. No budget was passed, therefore, there was nothing for Obama to either sign or veto. The House definitely deserves the larger portion of the blame. The Senate also deserves a smaller portion of the blame for not allowing the four appropriation bills the House did pass reach the floor for a vote.
You are correct - this Shut Down (of only 83% of the Government) is not like during the Carter and Clinton years. Both Clinton and Carter worked tirelessly with many meetings to bring the Shut Downs to a halt. Obama goes to play Golf and says "I will not negotiate". He's big on blaming everyone and everything but himself for everything. Obama gives speeches and wags his pointy finger - that's about the extent of his "leadership".

Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Really??? Is this another one of those "Obama Myths" that his followers are spreading around now?
I wonder who is disobeying the Presidential orders to "reverse the decision". The Park Service not only did not remove the barriers, but now they are wiring them shut to attempt to keep those old men in wheelchairs from seeing the WWII Memorial that they raised the money to build.
WWII Memorial Barricade Wired Shut
10:22 AM, OCT 4, 2013

This photo was from October 4th posted at 8:10 am. on Twitter and by a little after 10 on the Weekly Standard. Did Obama think people were going to quit posting the pictures and reporting on the BarryCaded War Memorials? If Obama or his people are claiming the War Memorials are NOT BarryCaded .... they are lying.

NBC News also reports that a group of Vietnam Vets were told not to enter the Vietnam Wall area, as well as the WWII Memorial.

Closure of War Memorials Continues to Cause Conflict
Friday, Oct 4, 2013

Folks ..... these War Memorial barricades are carefully designed to be Mean and Petty. How do we know this for sure? Check out the "barricades" at the WW1 Memorial - it get's little traffic and only a sign. The Honor Flights that bring WWII Veterans and terminally ill Vietnam Vets are scheduled for most of October - this bad press and extreme ill feeling for the Obama Temper Tantrum will NOT stop, because HE will not stop. Obama is Out of Control
Who do you think protects these memorials from vandalism and theft? And who do you think will get sued when some visitor spills a milk shake that nobody is there to clean up and somebody slips and gets injured?

Shame on the right wing media for spreading the lie that parks don't need personnel.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
You are correct - this Shut Down (of only 83% of the Government) is not like during the Carter and Clinton years. Both Clinton and Carter worked tirelessly with many meetings to bring the Shut Downs to a halt. Obama goes to play Golf and says "I will not negotiate". He's big on blaming everyone and everything but himself for everything. Obama gives speeches and wags his pointy finger - that's about the extent of his "leadership".
That's the thing I cannot get past. I didn't agree with the decision to shutdown the government although I agree with the GOP on Obamacare. Primarily I took that stance because I felt it took away from the failures of the rollout of the exchanges. That being said, I think Obama's actions or rather lack of action is abhorrent and his behavior is not in keeping with any other President during a shutdown, including other Democrats.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And we have yet another year where D's and R's and the President have successfully avoided dealing with the budget, the deficit, cuts and taxes.

CR and raise the debt ceiling. Kick that can down the road for another year.
Perhaps you didn't realize the facts that federal spending has been flat in nominal terms, and falling fast in real per capita terms, for several years, or that the deficit is plunging.

Suddenly, the GOP talking points moved from defunding Obamacare to curbing runaway spending growth and exploding debt, which aren't a problem.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
The Park Service not only did not remove the barriers, but now they are wiring them shut to attempt to keep those old men in wheelchairs from seeing the WWII Memorial that they raised the money to build.
It's unfortunate that these vets are being inconvenienced, but let's face reality here, that's all this is. No one will die because they can't walk around a memorial. You should instead be wringing your hands in dismay about all of the homebound vets and other seniors who depend on programs like Meals on Wheels who could be going hungry if this shutdown continues. You know, people who are suffering real consequences. But to do so would go against the GOP meme that no one is really being hurt by this drawnout shut down. So much better and easier to go with the good photo op of a chained off memorial and pretend that this is the biggest outrage ever!!!!!

Your protests ring hollow to thinking people.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:08 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
You can thank the House Republicans for that. A clean bill to keep the government running while they debated the issues would be the sensible thing to do. Boner could have a clean bill vote today and end the shutdown today if he wanted to, but he won't bring it to vote because he knows it will pass.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,006,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That's the thing I cannot get past. I didn't agree with the decision to shutdown the government although I agree with the GOP on Obamacare. Primarily I took that stance because I felt it took away from the failures of the rollout of the exchanges. That being said, I think Obama's actions or rather lack of action is abhorrent and his behavior is not in keeping with any other President during a shutdown, including other Democrats.
Agree...

Old 10-07-2013, 08:14 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Vice President Joe Biden gave his support to the park ranger who was blasted by a Republican lawmaker at the World War II Memorial.Biden called the park ranger to say he was proud of her.
The extreme right-wing element of the GOP, and the American Taliban (a/k/a "Tea Party") seem to enjoy berating public employees and first responders. It's good to see the Vice President of the United States doesn't behave as badly.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:14 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You can thank the House Republicans for that. A clean bill to keep the government running while they debated the issues would be the sensible thing to do. Boner could have a clean bill vote today and end the shutdown today if he wanted to, but he won't bring it to vote because he knows it will pass.
I guess libs can't blame Bush anymore, so it's on the House Republicans.

Please explain why that website is shut down, but union workers are going back to work and the golf course that Obama golfs on has enough workers to staff it?

Voting on a bill, and playing politics on what should be kept running or not during the shut down are VERY different things in this discussion.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
Quote:
Really??? Is this another one of those "Obama Myths" that his followers are spreading around now?
I wonder who is disobeying the Presidential orders to "reverse the decision". The Park Service not only did not remove the barriers, but now they are wiring them shut to attempt to keep those old men in wheelchairs from seeing the WWII Memorial that they raised the money to build.
WWII Memorial Barricade Wired Shut
10:22 AM, OCT 4, 2013

This photo was from October 4th posted at 8:10 am. on Twitter and by a little after 10 on the Weekly Standard. Did Obama think people were going to quit posting the pictures and reporting on the BarryCaded War Memorials? If Obama or his people are claiming the War Memorials are NOT BarryCaded .... they are lying.

NBC News also reports that a group of Vietnam Vets were told not to enter the Vietnam Wall area, as well as the WWII Memorial.

Closure of War Memorials Continues to Cause Conflict
Friday, Oct 4, 2013

Folks ..... these War Memorial barricades are carefully designed to be Mean and Petty. How do we know this for sure? Check out the "barricades" at the WW1 Memorial - it get's little traffic and only a sign. The Honor Flights that bring WWII Veterans and terminally ill Vietnam Vets are scheduled for most of October - this bad press and extreme ill feeling for the Obama Temper Tantrum will NOT stop, because HE will not stop. Obama is Out of Control
You DO know that it is CONGRESS that forced this shutdown, not the president, right? I mean, you people DO know this simple fact, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.