Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 06:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oh, the humanity!

What is really offensive is that you think this is more important than real suffering by millions of Americans. Tell us, what are the vets suffering other than a little bit of inconvenience? You continue to ignore this question because you know the answer is nothing. All this hand-wringing about closed monuments amounts to nothing more than melodramatic whining from a bunch of drama queens. Ridiculous.
I agree with you that a lot of people just don't care about this generation.
I'm one who does. I won't apologize for that.

Carry on with your vitriol on the old folks that fought in WWII - you have a lot of support for that position.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I agree with you that a lot of people just don't care about this generation.
I'm one who does. I won't apologize for that.

Carry on with your vitriol on the old folks that fought in WWII - you have a lot of support for that position.
You are talking about my father and his generation, and I know for a fact that he believes it's more important that a fellow vet or senior got his hot meals or a baby got her formula than for him to walk around a memorial. I think you are selling these vets short by assuming they are so selfish that they don't care about anyone but themselves.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You are talking about my father and his generation, and I know for a fact that he believes it's more important that a fellow vet or senior got his hot meals or a baby got her formula than for him to walk around a memorial. I think you are selling these vets short by assuming they are so selfish that they don't care about anyone but themselves.
I was unaware that the cost to maintain the memorial was so great, that it means seniors would go without food and babies would starve.. I guess thats why Obama put up a fence around it, thereby increasing the cost for things like security.

He wanted babies and old people to DIE!!!!

Old 10-07-2013, 07:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Were Honor Flights going on during the previous 17 shutdowns? Just asking because you seem to think that all this "veteran" visiting was happening on the previous shutdowns, when, I'm thinking several of those sites weren't even there then, so I'm not sure how you can prepare the actions today to the actions during the last shutdown in the 90s. Several days ago I posted a picture of the shutdown then with memorials and parks being barricaded, so I'm just not sure how different it was except we had less veterans memorials back then.

And just for the record, I'm not against these vets whatsoever and I feel horrible that 90 year old vets, who have these once and lifetime trips planned are getting stuck in the middle of this. I also feel bad for the dying people who can't get their clinical trials done at NIH (oddly enough more people are concerned about the vets). It's just funny what the media latches onto and the public whips into a frenzy over. There are many people who have much more to lose over this shutdown than the vets losing a trip to the memorial.
First - congratulations that you have been called back from your furlough, I know it was stressful for you. You and I both know that the Veterans are not important, their Memorials (that they had to fund raise for years to get built) are not important. It's the Federal workers that are "important" - they have big mortgages on fancy homes, kids in private schools and headed to college. Lot's of expenses in an expensive place to live. The "little people" just have no clue about how tough their lives are. Imagine how hard it is for a couple with no children to get by on only $350,000 a year .... the shutdown is extremely stressful. No President in History has ever shut down War Memorials, but you already knew that. I think the old Vets got a kick out of "busting through the barricades" to see the Memorials they struggled to fund. It's going to be a great memory for them. They fought once again and will have stories to tell about it. Not a bad trade off for them, they will try and ignore the insult.

It's become a "bad PR" deal for both the Administration and the Leftists that follow that Administration - we know this. You and I both know this. I don't think there is anything "funny" about it, but I do understand that other people don't feel the same way I do. Maybe they never heard of WWII, maybe they never knew anyone who served, maybe they just don't care because they are obsessed by their own lives. At the end of the day .... it's won't matter. Those who cared, went out in support of these old Vets, or they are like me and tried to get their stories out. I'm perfectly willing to take the heat for that and don't mind a bit that I caused (perhaps) a few to actually think about what is happening in our Transformed America.

Dad is 98, he landed at Normandy and came home. He had 10 brothers who all signed up (no draftees in that family), they all made it home - which is way against the odds. All dead now but Dad, who won't ever see that Memorial he donated money to - his health won't allow it. Mom was in the 2nd group to join the WAVES - of course she served Stateside. She is 92 and in good enough health to go on an Honor Flight, but she won't leave Dad. Mom doesn't say much about the War and Dad says nothing about the War. They put it all behind them when they got home and tried to rebuild their lives and teach their children about the evil of War and the horror of Depression.

I'm probably going to be the last of a dying breed (except for my kids that I passed the lessons to) - we now live in the world of "Me Me Me & gimme, gimme, gimme". It is what it is.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:20 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
First - congratulations that you have been called back from your furlough, I know it was stressful for you. You and I both know that the Veterans are not important, their Memorials (that they had to fund raise for years to get built) are not important. It's the Federal workers that are "important" - they have big mortgages on fancy homes, kids in private schools and headed to college. Lot's of expenses in an expensive place to live. The "little people" just have no clue about how tough their lives are. Imagine how hard it is for a couple with no children to get by on only $350,000 a year .... the shutdown is extremely stressful. No President in History has ever shut down War Memorials, but you already knew that. I think the old Vets got a kick out of "busting through the barricades" to see the Memorials they struggled to fund. It's going to be a great memory for them. They fought once again and will have stories to tell about it. Not a bad trade off for them, they will try and ignore the insult.

It's become a "bad PR" deal for both the Administration and the Leftists that follow that Administration - we know this. You and I both know this. I don't think there is anything "funny" about it, but I do understand that other people don't feel the same way I do. Maybe they never heard of WWII, maybe they never knew anyone who served, maybe they just don't care because they are obsessed by their own lives. At the end of the day .... it's won't matter. Those who cared, went out in support of these old Vets, or they are like me and tried to get their stories out. I'm perfectly willing to take the heat for that and don't mind a bit that I caused (perhaps) a few to actually think about what is happening in our Transformed America.

Dad is 98, he landed at Normandy and came home. He had 10 brothers who all signed up (no draftees in that family), they all made it home - which is way against the odds. All dead now but Dad, who won't ever see that Memorial he donated money to - his health won't allow it. Mom was in the 2nd group to join the WAVES - of course she served Stateside. She is 92 and in good enough health to go on an Honor Flight, but she won't leave Dad. Mom doesn't say much about the War and Dad says nothing about the War. They put it all behind them when they got home and tried to rebuild their lives and teach their children about the evil of War and the horror of Depression.

I'm probably going to be the last of a dying breed (except for my kids that I passed the lessons to) - we now live in the world of "Me Me Me & gimme, gimme, gimme". It is what it is.

You have ragged on my posts but who do you know makes 350k a year.... my lord if think fed employees make that much I want to know whom. You honestly seem like a good person, but your facts on how much money 99.8 pct of us make seems way out in fairlyland. My dad passed away as well and served in WWII. But I still dont understand all the hatred toward us or is it the system you hate and not us workers. But sure does come across as hatred toward us. I fail to see what I did to deserve such hate you have, at least in your posts to me. I would love to discuss my situation and my views with you given the chance. I live in a world and in my job of where you give and give....at least here in the upper Midwest we are full of folks who care about each other and care for one another. That is how Grand Forks-East Grand Forks got through the 97 flood. You must live in a different part of the country where that isnt the case anymore. Your thoughts intrigue me.

Dan

Old 10-07-2013, 07:33 PM

777 posts, read 1,873,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I believe the House has already approved paying those without a paycheck. The bill of course is sitting in the Senate...the do nothing Senate
Senate was to vote on the bill (S. 1567) today. The result isn't pretty:
Back Pay for Furloughed Workers Hits Snag in Senate (Updated) | The World's Greatest Deliberative Body

Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Ralph Spencer (80) and his wife, Joyce (77) will certainly be happy when the government is up and running again. They'll be able to return home. Ralph and Joyce have live on Stewart's Point - a small town located in Lake Mead (Nevada) since the early 70's. Last Thursday, a park ranger came to their home and told them they had 24 hours to leave, since their home is built on federal land.

It's not just furloughed workers who are feeling the brunt of the shutdown. Some people are actually being told to vacate their homes. Lesson learned here is never own a home that is situated on federal land. They can evict you with no more than 24 hours notice. damned government

Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:

No President to date has shut down War Memorials. You can stop the nonsense. The *** is up and most people already know that this was months in the planning...

Quote:
A Federal Budget Crisis Months in the Planning

A defunding “tool kit” created in early September included talking points for the question, “What happens when you shut down the government and you are blamed for it?” The suggested answer was the one House Republicans give today: “We are simply calling to fund the entire government except for the Affordable Care Act/Obamacare.”

Get your Defunding Obamacare Toolkit | Tea Party PatriotsTea Party Patriots
Even the GOP's donors are telling them to stop their shutdown.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:00 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Day Four: King Obama and his flying monkeys in the Senate still refuse to negotiate with half the country. Hang tough GOP!
Apparently you are not affected by either the shutdown or by lack of healthcare, so I guess it is easy to root the dumbazzes on! Basically all these fools are doing is trying to defund something that is already a law and holding the country captive because a fraction of their own party demands it. But I guess it must be nice to sit back with you covered healthcare and watch faux and the koch brothers spend millions on politicians to lie to you. It must be nice

Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
But if they do, they might remember Obama's Benghazi, NSA, and IRS scandals and how the Democrats defended them all. So you might want to wish for a short attention span after all.
All of that is forever buried by the GOP scandal causing the government to shutdown and threatening the debt ceiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies