Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
No. Here's the Constitution on the subject:

Art. I, § 7, Cl. 1- All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

Cl. 2- Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the United States; If he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. (It continues with how vetoed bills are handled by Congress)

Budget bills are like any other bill.
The Senate was not given the "power of the purse." The reason is that it is the House which is responsible to the people. It is the people's money. The Senate may not originate spending bills.
Upon further study, I recant the above statement, that the Senate cannot originate spending bills. The language of Article I Secion 7 is clear, referring only to bills to "raise revenue," and it has traditionally been understood that the Senate my introduce (instigate) spending bills, even though (again, traditionally) this has usually been left to the House.

Heritage Foundation disagrees with Andy McCarthy (on whose opinion I was relying for my position) on this.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 10-08-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 06:12 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Senate was not given the "power of the purse." The reason is that it is the House which is responsible to the people. It is the people's money. The Senate may not originate spending bills.
Then you agree that the House should vote. Hey, why not tell Boehner that?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OH RIGHT! That's why the Democrats fought to get rid of "Bush Tax Cuts" for 10 years. They were LAW, too.

And NO. Obama making MAJOR CHANGES to a MAJOR LAW like deferring the MANDATORY participation of BUSINESSES is not some little minor thing.
When did the Democrats use extortion by threatening to shut down the government to be rid of Bush's wet kiss to the rich tax cuts? Seriously...when?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Obama: "I declare Congress and the Executive Branch exempt from Obamacare and businesses exempt from the Obamacare mandate for a year since next year is election time. Even though the law was passed differently."

The House: "OK and you'll exempt the CITIZEN workers individual mandates, too, right?"

Obama: "No. I get to chose which parts of the law to enforce or not".

The House: "No you don't. And We have the power of the purse constitutionally, dude".

Obama: "Go F yourselves and that pathetic Constitution".

Quote:
Top 16 myths about the health care law

5. Congress is exempt from Obamacare. False.

Chain email, Jan. 6, 2013

Even a few sitting lawmakers have repeated this claim, but it’s not true. Congress is not exempt from Obamacare. Like everyone else, lawmakers are required to have health insurance. They’re also required to buy insurance through the marketplaces. The idea is to have lawmakers and their staff buy insurance the same way their uninsured constituents would so they understand what their constituents have to deal with. Most Americans who already get insurance through work are left alone under the law; members of Congress have insurance through work but are treated differently in this regard. Recently, a rule was added so that lawmakers’ could keep the traditional employer contribution to their coverage. But they weren’t exempt from requirements that other Americans face. We rated this claim False.

PolitiFact | Top 16 myths about the health care law

Step out of that Faux News/Limbaugh bubble sometimes.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The House has voted, non stop.. The Senate hasnt taken ONE VOTE since the shut down..

FAIL...

Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The spending continues though....

The US Army went shopping and bought a mechanical bull.
It's for promotional use in recruiting.

I'm sure they deemed this essential spending.

'Shutdown' Day 7: Government Buys $47,174 Mechanical Bull | CNS News

Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

Step out of that Faux News/Limbaugh bubble sometimes.
Far left "Politifact" didn't mention the fact that King Obama approved a special subsidy for Congress and staff to make sure that they didn't suffer any premium hikes after being "subject to Obamacare."

Get your facts straight, because "Politifact" sure won't.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
When did the Democrats use extortion by threatening to shut down the government to be rid of Bush's wet kiss to the rich tax cuts? Seriously...when?
Oh please.. Democrats have non stop whined and threatend shut downs from everything from the tax cuts, to the sequester... I remember Obama running around whining that seniors wouldnt get their checks.. Another lie...

Whats it matter? Is the shut down stopping your welfare check?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
First, see my edit to my previous post.

The House has voted numerous times, and has sent bills to fund various departments, etc. to the Senate, which has taken no action.

The hangup here is with the Senate. Not the House, and Barack Obama. The House is doing their job.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
the house voted several times. Call your buddy Mr Cleanface in the Senate and tell him to put to vote all the bills that the house has already passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies