Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 05:55 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Yeah well, a lot of conservatives are butthurt lately, and they keep starting these gov't shutdown threads even when the mods made a sticky for it.

I read news this morning that the house speaker is under a great deal of pressure from his own members to get something done, and how the teapublicans are still steering the speaker from behind, Boehner isn't much of a leader for the house when he has a few telling him what to do, he should be telling them what to do, yes?
Some journalist was saying that if Boehner took a stand and brought this to a vote, he'd be on every talk show and magazine cover the next day as a guy of integrity, in which case, the Tea Party Taliban would not be very effective in bringing him down and replacing him. Somebody should tell this to spineless Boehner. My issue with this is, he should just bring this to a vote because it's the right thing to do, regardless of consequences, but then again, this is the guy that passed out Tobacco Industry lobbyist checks on the house floor.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:57 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Thank you for pointing out the obvious Ov! Americans don't seem to like paying for things unless it directly benefits them! I can only imagine when was the last time a rightwinger actually visited a National park and now they are complaining that the parks aren't "open".
But you have forgotten that guns are now allowed in National Parks, so that might influence their interest in visiting them.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:59 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Some journalist was saying that if Boehner took a stand and brought this to a vote, he'd be on every talk show and magazine cover the next day as a guy of integrity, in which case, the Tea Party Taliban would not be very effective in bringing him down and replacing him. Somebody should tell this to spineless Boehner. My issue with this is, he should just bring this to a vote because it's the right thing to do, regardless of consequences, but then again, this is the guy that passed out Tobacco Industry lobbyist checks on the house floor.

I agree that Boehner could come out of this looking very good; however, he's reaching his time limit to do that. I don't think that if he lets this go another week that he will fare as well.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree that Boehner could come out of this looking very good; however, he's reaching his time limit to do that. I don't think that if he lets this go another week that he will fare as well.
He could, if he stopped trying to blackmail the Country's Government and let Democracy work..

Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Obama needs to stand his ground and it will be a sad day for all of America if he doesn't. Can you imagine if a minority in the White house can hold the government hostage and get their way? They could pass anything!! Do you want to speak Spanish or Arabic? Who knows what some small minority might want. This needs to be stopped with no concessions whatsoever!
That's what's happening right now! <bold> Very good point. The democrats are playing the same game with this that they played with the sequester. Cause as much pain as humanly possible to the public and point the finger at the GOP.

Here's the problem that the dems are about to run into, just like with the sequester as time goes by more news leaks out about things they're doing. Real stupid things like threatening to arrest chaplains if they show up on base and perform their duties like mass, christenings or marriages, even as volunteers. Things like blocking off parking lots,driveways or bus turn arounds leading to places that are not under federal control just because those lots,driveways etc are federal property.

There is a good chance this is going to backfire big time on the dems only leaving the most strident ideologues to defend their actions.

Last edited by jimj; 10-05-2013 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-05-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
That's what's happening right now! <bold> Very good point.
Typical of those with no valid argument to change another person's statement in a feeble attempt to support their own nonsense. Sarcasm requires a bit of thought.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I would ask the National Park Rangers, "If the national parks are closed, why are you essential?"

Old 10-05-2013, 06:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Typical of those with no valid argument to change another person's statement in a feeble attempt to support their own nonsense. Sarcasm requires a bit of thought.
And so some should be used when reading what I wrote <sarcasm>

On the upside it got YOUR attention as I knew it would.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I would ask the National Park Rangers, "If the national parks are closed, why are you essential?"

Well the Rangers are essential. Most of the other government leeches in the NPS are worthless pieces of fat that need to be cut though.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And so some should be used when reading what I wrote <sarcasm>

On the upside it got YOUR attention as I knew it would.
Errr, there is never a valid reason to alter what someone else says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies