Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 PM

577 posts, read 512,538 times

Advertisements

Taxes should be raised across the board on everyone, and it should be set on a curve that is fair to everone. Then tie the rate to a plan to pay off the national debt in ten years while streamlining and cutting back government programs that have overlapping areas of responsibility. I know tax increases are painful for Republicans to agree too, and Liberals see cuts in services as painful, but it has to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Taxes should be raised across the board on everyone, and it should be set on a curve that is fair to everone. Then tie the rate to a plan to pay off the national debt in ten years while streamlining and cutting back government programs that have overlapping areas of responsibility. I know tax increases are painful for Republicans to agree too, and Liberals see cuts in services as painful, but it has to be done.
So how much money should I pay as a percent of income?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 PM

577 posts, read 512,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So how much money should I pay as a percent of income?
Hard to answer that, who even knows what the total national debt really is, and what it would take to pay off in ten years. I know the levels would have to be set high enough that no group will think it's fair. Corporations shouldn't get a pass on the hikes either. Same goes with cutting budgets for government agencies. A real solution to paying the debt off will be a sacrafice for everyone, but I think once it is done that it will help everyone. With the taxes raised and a plan in place, the dollar's value should rise and would lower prices, so that would help offset the tax increases.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Federal income tax? It shouldn't exist at all. The Constitution specifically forbid the federal government from imposing one. The federal government would have plenty of money to defend the nation from invasion (which it currently doesn't) by imposing trade levies and tariffs.

What exactly do we get for our federal taxes? (The National Parks? You pay to use them already, and services are run by concessionaires). Take a look at the sheer number of federal departments and agencies spending your money--you won't have clue what 99% of them do.

Your income taxes go to supporting a corrupt upper class in Washington, whose actions funnel wealth to Big Business and erode the very foundations of the currency and the economy. Every decision they make hurts the working class, but the low information voter parrots back the talking points of the liberal media and thinks the Tea Party is his worst enemy. It would be comic if it weren't so sad.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
So many people who are for the flat tax come up with the Mantra that "we will all feel the same pain" when we pay our taxes. I'll sign up when the following conditions apply.

ex. Toyota Camry costs $25000

Person A who makes $250000 who buys it is using 10% of income.

Person B who makes $25000 who buys it is using 100% of income.

So under the "Feel the Same Pain philosophy", Person B should only have to pay $2500 for the new Camry!

Substitute health insurance and food for the above example for more same pain examples.

When the Flat Taxers can flatten the price curve like the above example, call me! I'll sign up
Here's a better "Feel the Same Pain" plan: Truly fair would be everyone paying the same flat amount - not as a percentage but as an absolute dollar amount. That way, everyone has the same amount of skin in the game.

Alternatively, anyone who does not pay taxes should not get a vote or other say in how the system is managed. Or votes could be allowed based on the amount of taxes paid. You pay more taxes, you get more votes.

The progressive tax is criminal and in no way fair to those who make more. Likewise with a percentage, those who earn more pay more. Yet everyone gets a vote?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Rich should be taxed higher than average

I think it's fair to tax higher all those wealthy individuals and big corporations who made out under the Bush years. They were unjustly enriched while the nation bled to death. For each year that they benefited from those only-rich-supporting GOP policies, they should be taxed much higher than the average taxpayer.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
We should be taxed on what we spend - because that is the one thing we have control over.

If you save, you aren't taxed. If you donate, you aren't taxed.

No tax on food. No tax on clothing items under $100.

How does someone at poverty level have control over what they spend?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:12 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The natural state of an economy is wealth and poverty. Generally speaking, middle class is an artificial state created by Government. The current tax code favors the seriously wealthy and working poor.

A flat tax is inherently regressive and would hurt the middle class and working poor harder than higher income earners.

A flat tax with 3-5 income brackets might warrant careful consideration if/when it was applied to all income, not just earned income and all deductions and credits were eliminated.

??? HowTF does the current tax code favor the working poor who are childless? A burger flipper working full time pays over $500/yr in federal income tax.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:04 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
And the so-called rich DO pay more taxes currently, and would with a flat tax in place. Without all of the deductions and loopholes, we could probably get by with a 10-20% flat tax. But, the government would have to do away with some of the unnecessary expenditures. Our local government just spent $130,000 on a park opening party. $33,000 to Jo Dee Messina to play some music for a bit. Stuff like that needs to go, on the local and federal level.

But, getting government to stop spending money foolishly is a pipe dream.
Not really. Those earning 1 million a year pay an average of 24%, and those earning 10 million pay an average of 19%. This is due to various tax loopholes and dodges. 10 tax dodges that help the rich get richer - Salon.com

Old 10-10-2013, 04:43 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
So many people who are for the flat tax come up with the Mantra that "we will all feel the same pain" when we pay our taxes. I'll sign up when the following conditions apply.

ex. Toyota Camry costs $25000

Person A who makes $250000 who buys it is using 10% of income.

Person B who makes $25000 who buys it is using 100% of income.

So under the "Feel the Same Pain philosophy", Person B should only have to pay $2500 for the new Camry!

Substitute health insurance and food for the above example for more same pain examples.

When the Flat Taxers can flatten the price curve like the above example, call me! I'll sign up
So we can have fair taxes as long as prices are progressive instead?

How about we just have everyone make the same amount of money no matter what job they work?

From each according to his ability to each according to his need - how does that sound to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies