Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 03:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
How are they not the same thing?
Profit denotes a monetary advantage, while exploit can denote advantages of any sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 03:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think many of these pictures are posted along with context that demonstrates intent. And if a person were to tell the person posting them that they considered the postings to be malicious, if the person continued to post them, a case for malice might be established.
Websites will take them down when asked.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:57 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Profit denotes a monetary advantage, while exploit can denote advantages of any sort.
It can, but in the context of using a person's likeness, there is little difference.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I would think as the cases get prosecuted, that the bar establishing "serious" harm will get set, and precedent established. Laws rarely define concepts as "serious" in an explicity and solid way, because each case is unique, and judges require some leeway in determining how seriously the victim has been impacted.
As I noted, how seriously they were impacted is irrelevant. The law prosecutes someone for intentionally wanting to inflict serious harm.

If serious harm is done and no intent to do serious harm is proven there is no violation.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Websites will take them down when asked.
Usually I'm the one accused of being too trusting.

And I've actually had some experience with this. Websites aren't always responsive to a person's complaints.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As I noted, how seriously they were impacted is irrelevant. The law prosecutes someone for intentionally wanting to inflict serious harm.

If serious harm is done and no intent to do serious harm is proven there is no violation.
Okay. So then you take it to civil court, where intent isn't the issue, but whether the person could have prevented any or all of the harm.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:19 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
The girl has to choose between betraying the guy who is "banging her", or protecting society from a murderer. She isn't behaving out of malice. (You did read the law, right, the one you're so incensed about. Because it explicitly states that the ex, which I'm not sure the girl you "banged" last night qualifies as an ex, has to be acting out of malice.) And where you get "fruit from the poisonous tree" is beyond me. Her testimony in court would be permissible because it was proffered by a citizen acting on behalf of society. Your posting nudie pictures of her online in an effort to hurt and humiliate her would be unacceptable because it's done out of MALICE.
So if I put the pictures on line for the sole purpose of adding to size of the Internet then it would be ok according to this law. What is the point of the law if the intent cannot be known, thus no one can ever be charged?

Sounds like we are getting into thought crime territory.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Okay. So then you take it to civil court, where intent isn't the issue, but whether the person could have prevented any or all of the harm.
They can do that now.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:59 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That line was crossed many pages ago...

Old 10-02-2013, 06:45 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So if I put the pictures on line for the sole purpose of adding to size of the Internet then it would be ok according to this law. What is the point of the law if the intent cannot be known, thus no one can ever be charged?

...a great many laws have a specific intent element...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies