Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,844,964 times

Advertisements

From the OP article, it looks like Maher was speaking of that specific group of veterans who took pictures with Michelle Bachman who is a Tea Partier and her faction is primarily responsible for the shut down to many people so I do understand where he is coming from and I don't see the issue, unless you believe that these veterans should have had a photo-op with a congress person, with Bill's statements.

Also, wanted to add that it is ridiculous to give veterans access to "their memorial" as if they are the only people who owns that memorial or as if there are not other groups out there who want access to other war and historical monuments in our nation's capital. It is just stupid all around in regards to that day and those veterans and the politicians so I do agree with Bill Maher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,681,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
From the OP article, it looks like Maher was speaking of that specific group of veterans who took pictures with Michelle Bachman who is a Tea Partier and her faction is primarily responsible for the shut down to many people so I do understand where he is coming from and I don't see the issue, unless you believe that these veterans should have had a photo-op with a congress person, with Bill's statements.

Also, wanted to add that it is ridiculous to give veterans access to "their memorial" as if they are the only people who owns that memorial or as if there are not other groups out there who want access to other war and historical monuments in our nation's capital. It is just stupid all around in regards to that day and those veterans and the politicians so I do agree with Bill Maher.

Agreed--his "outrage" with the vets had to do with their falling all over Michelle Bachman when she basically just used them for her photo op. And she was so two-faced about it. The vets were just clueless. So, in that instance, yeah they were dumb. Bill hates people who vote/pander against their own interests.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
In a nutshell, some WW2 vets ignored the barricades and visited the memorial. Michele Bachman was there for the photo op which was the Segway to the comment that "they may have been the greatest generation, not the brightest":

Maher mocks WWII vets: 'Nobody said they were the brightest generation' | The Daily Caller

Some people enjoy Bill Maher.
Some people enjoy Dennis Miller
Some people enjoy both.
Some people enjoy none.

Political Comedians - Top Ten Political Comedians

Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom lives View Post
Bill Maher is typical of what the leftwing progressives really think of our men and women in uniform...
Maher is an entertainer. He doesn't need to be bright. Just entertaining.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:10 PM

38,034 posts, read 22,214,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
If I were a WWII vet I'd say, "Don't open this national park for me. Pass a clean budget without trying to destroy the legislation that gives my grandchildren the same guarantee of affordable health insurance that I get and that every other person in the developed world has."
All a "clean CR" is, is one without the personal mandate delay.

0bama wants to punish people for not getting 0bamaCare, even though the program is so messed up that 0bama has already delayed major portions of it already, including relaying the employer mandate. But that punishment for individuals, he really, really needs that one, and is willing to close down the parks and defund funerals for our military personnel killed in a war, etc....

Old 10-10-2013, 04:35 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,958,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Maher is an entertainer. He doesn't need to be bright. Just entertaining.
The fact is he isn't!

How can one be funny when they constantly slam and talk about others. He's not funny or entertaining, unless one finds making fun of other people entertaining.

Wonder why he has never thought about giving time to visit those in Iraq or a children's hospital in the USA. I'm sure he thinks he's above any of these ideas, more fun to talk about what others do or don't do.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,681,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The fact is he isn't!

How can one be funny when they constantly slam and talk about others. He's not funny or entertaining, unless one finds making fun of other people entertaining.

Who are you to proclaim someone is or isn't funny? It's subjective. You don't find him funny or entertaining. Many people do. Different strokes and all that. There are plenty of people that I don't find funny either but I am open-minded enough to know that other people enjoy those entertainers--it's just not for me. I'm not about to put down some proclamation that I deem them unfunny and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. We get it, you don't like him.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,235,259 times
Free speech.
And a heads up to all you inflamed right wingers that don't know better: not all of what Maher says is indicative of what all liberals think. Though I do like what he says about religion.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,030,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom lives View Post
Really genius...If it weren't for that great generation you'd be speaking German or Japanese...Talk about being ungrateful.
Doesn't take much study of WWII to see that the Axis forces were doomed regardless.

Hitler should have let his good generals have more control, and stayed with the politics side.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,958,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Who are you to proclaim someone is or isn't funny? It's subjective. You don't find him funny or entertaining. Many people do. Different strokes and all that. There are plenty of people that I don't find funny either but I am open-minded enough to know that other people enjoy those entertainers--it's just not for me. I'm not about to put down some proclamation that I deem them unfunny and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. We get it, you don't like him.
Along with checking with others to start threads......do we also have to check with others if we have an opinion? Even, if I claim "fact"...... Like I said, some people enjoy those who talk about others. I don't expect those kind of people to agree with me any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies