Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,174,118 times

Advertisements

I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end. Since i'm a huge fan of lists I've decided to expound upon why I belive the party is a shell of it's former self.

1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.

2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.

3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.

4). Reaganomics is a joke.

5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.

6). The military really doesn't need to be this large.

7). It's blind aversion to scienfitic consensus.

8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.

9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.

10). They're war mongerers when their guy is in office...peacenics when the other guy is.

Other reasons exist but these are the primary ones that are leading to me taking off my bumper stickers and withdrawing my name from the GOP call lists. Enjoy your journey into mediocrity.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Every point you make only states that you never were what you claim to be. I have no idea why people think posting stuff like this makes any sort of valid point.

It's not believable. You have some valid positions, argue those positions, don't demean them with posts like this.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,578,581 times
Congrats!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,027 times
My list would be similar.

pknopp, why do you find this demeaning? Why you do think that someone who raises these points 'was never what they claimed to be?' Plenty of us are fiscal conservatives who believe in small government. We ought to be able to be Republicans, but we certainly can't with this iteration of the party.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 AM

408 posts, read 393,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Every point you make only states that you never were what you claim to be.
No true Scotsman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I have no idea why people think posting stuff like this makes any sort of valid point.
It's probably not intended to make a point, but rather to serve notice. I left the GOP myself in 2003 after over 20 years of sticking with the GOP through thick and thin. I'm still in regular contact with friends I made while volunteering in the GOP. Some of them have left, too.

And I'm not telling you that to 'make a point.'

Quote:
It's not believable.
To you. Shrug.

Quote:
You have some valid positions, argue those positions, don't demean them with posts like this.
Yes, the Party is your friend. Never question established conservative orthodoxy.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:07 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,997,693 times
It's literally been decades since Republicans have passed any bills/laws that have actually made a difference in ordinary Americans lives. I'm not surprised that you are ditching them.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end. Since i'm a huge fan of lists I've decided to expound upon why I belive the party is a shell of it's former self.

1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.

2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.

3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.

4). Reaganomics is a joke.

5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.

6). The military really doesn't need to be this large.

7). It's blind aversion to scienfitic consensus.

8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.

9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.

10). They're war mongerers when their guy is in office...peacenics when the other guy is.

Other reasons exist but these are the primary ones that are leading to me taking off my bumper stickers and withdrawing my name from the GOP call lists. Enjoy your journey into mediocrity.

I've always been an independent, but over the years I've vote for more Republicans than Democrats. For many of the reasons you cite, I'll probably vote straight ticket Democratic from here forward.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Kinda agree with post #2.

Who cares about party preference? Know your views and support your House Rep, 2 Senators, and President (and state personnel) who most closely aligns.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
It's literally been decades since Republicans have passed any bills/laws that have actually made a difference in ordinary Americans lives. I'm not surprised that you are ditching them.
Well, to be fair, there were those enormous tax rebates we all got during the W administration. Those $150 checks made a huge difference in my life! For about a day.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Every point you make only states that you never were what you claim to be. I have no idea why people think posting stuff like this makes any sort of valid point.

It's not believable. You have some valid positions, argue those positions, don't demean them with posts like this.
Wow, took only one post before one of their fellow conservatives threw the OP under the Bus, happens everytime a real conservative points out the lunacy so common in the GOP these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies