Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,366,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, I was going to say the same thing. He was never GOP.
Agreed. Quite a few folks here do not understand either party...sad sad sad.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end. Since i'm a huge fan of lists I've decided to expound upon why I belive the party is a shell of it's former self.

1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.

2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.

3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.

4). Reaganomics is a joke.

5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.

6). The military really doesn't need to be this large.

7). It's blind aversion to scienfitic consensus.

8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.

9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.

10). They're war mongerers when their guy is in office...peacenics when the other guy is.

Other reasons exist but these are the primary ones that are leading to me taking off my bumper stickers and withdrawing my name from the GOP call lists. Enjoy your journey into mediocrity.
I'm going to add another point to your list. And that's the growing exclusivity of the party. The idea of ideological purity dooms a political party in our system of government. You cannot ask a party to represent the majority of people in a nation, when that same party requires its membership to be ideologically pure. That is the nature of the RINO philosophy. To require members to be ideologically pure. It's a top-down philosophy. But political parties are supposed to generate their policies and proposals from the bottom upward.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:27 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,688,984 times
My wife and I were both firmly in the conservative camp. William Buckley types true and true. I was the first in line to buy 'Dereliction of Duty' about Clinton.

However as the GOP morphed into a social issue driven machine I became far less interested in them. Then we both became firmly independents after Bush threw McCain under the bus on his path to the presidency. As the truth about Iraq emerged I was pretty much done with GOP and the Neo-cons.

Being a veteran I could not ever forget Bush dodging his responsibilities as a soldier, or the fact that none of his 'dream team' including Cheney ever served. Just a bunch of hypocrites as far as I'm concerned.

Then came the tea-party. Buckley is rolling over in his grave.

I'm no fan of liberalism, I'm still very fiscally conservative. I don't buy into Gov't run and mandated health care but I do buy into regulated care and tort reform.

I agree with the OP. I'm never going back unless they can become less socially driven and more fiscally minded. Playing chicken with our debt ceiling IS NOT fiscally responsible. Convincing voters that next election cycle they can fix the economic maladies and reform health care IS. And I ain't seen NONE of that.

This fish ain't buying any of their bait in the water.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:27 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
No political party is perfect or ever will be. While we can all agree that the strategy employed by the GOP during this period has been flawed the fundamental fact that is inarguable is that our nation is going to be bankrupted in the not too distant future. That is a principle worth fighting for.
yep rmissourimule, no party is perfect and for anyone to believe any party is perfect is naive but Obama supporters believe Obama and his administration can do no wrong. That is very dangerous.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.
The debt is high, but not unprecedented as a share of GDP.

United States Debt as a Percentage of GDP (1940-2012) | Visual.ly

After WWII the US was able to tax its way out of enormous debt -- whose share of GDP continued to decline almost uninterruptedly until it reached a historic low in 1980. And we all know what happened then.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,858 times
Democrats aren't evil. Republicans aren't evil.

It's the extremeists who give the parties a bad reputation. We see that the red states are doing well. If we can apply the fiscal side of the righties and the openness that the lefties carry, we have a moderate country. The majority of the country is moderate. We'd be just fine.

We could get rid of Obamacare and just expand Medicaid. I don't see the point in Obamacare if Medicaid is available.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm going to add another point to your list. And that's the growing exclusivity of the party. The idea of ideological purity dooms a political party in our system of government. You cannot ask a party to represent the majority of people in a nation, when that same party requires its membership to be ideologically pure. That is the nature of the RINO philosophy. To require members to be ideologically pure. It's a top-down philosophy. But political parties are supposed to generate their policies and proposals from the bottom upward.

That is a very interesting paragraph. I think your opinion has real validity. I have been rather astonished over the past few years at how many stalwart Republicans are summarily dismissed by the 'pure of thought' of being RINO's. I mean, many present-day Republicans dismiss past conservative giants such as Barry Goldwater.

Well said. Food for thought indeed.

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
yep rmissourimule, no party is perfect and for anyone to believe any party is perfect is naive but Obama supporters believe Obama and his administration can do no wrong. That is very dangerous.
Actually, that is incorrect.

I'm a liberal and I believe that President Obama and his administration have done plenty wrong. I think most Obama supporters believe the same as I do.

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I've always been an independent, but over the years I've vote for more Republicans than Democrats. For many of the reasons you cite, I'll probably vote straight ticket Democratic from here forward.
I have been voting mostly "R", even for president, but I don't think the nation can afford these people anymore. They have to change, or leave. I don't think I'll vote at all in 2014.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-09-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Obama supporters believe Obama and his administration can do no wrong. That is very dangerous.
Wrong. As far as I can tell, there is only one blind Obama-worshipper here on this forum. The idea that anyone who supports anything Obama does automatically supports everything he does is a classic example of projection from the cons, who have perfected the idea of "party above country." As evidence, I present the cons' reaction to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies