Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
It's literally been decades since Republicans have passed any bills/laws that have actually made a difference in ordinary Americans lives. I'm not surprised that you are ditching them.
That pretty much says it all. If anyone can point out bills that really made a difference let us know, because one can forget. However, spare us the make the rich richer trickle down bull, cause its trickling down to 3rd world counties and communist countries like Viet nam (58,000 Americans dead) and Red China----Hybrid yes, but a communist government none the less.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end. Since i'm a huge fan of lists I've decided to expound upon why I belive the party is a shell of it's former self.

1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.

2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.

3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.

4). Reaganomics is a joke.

5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.

6). The military really doesn't need to be this large.

7). It's blind aversion to scienfitic consensus.

8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.

9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.

10). They're war mongerers when their guy is in office...peacenics when the other guy is.

Other reasons exist but these are the primary ones that are leading to me taking off my bumper stickers and withdrawing my name from the GOP call lists. Enjoy your journey into mediocrity.

Right......................

I have been a liberal my whole life and am a right wing conservative as of five minutes ago.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
I live in a RED state......yes, some are doing really well here......the others are rarely heard of nor have much of a voice.....WE just got a GREAT 5% tax break law passed. It doesn't take much math IQ to figure it out. But, speeches were wonderfully boasted on TV. We're at the bottom of most measured ideals of an American society....or what some of us remember as an American way of life. Times are changing.
Which Red state do you live in? Why do you live there? And if its such a terrible place to live in, then why do people continue to live there?

Be careful looking at supposed statistics which purport to indicate quality of life. The only thing that actually matters in life, is whether or not you are happy. There are people in Africa that are far happier than many Americans. Even rich Americans. And while millions of Americans suffer constant depression and dissatisfaction with life. To the point tens of thousands are killing themselves every year. The poorest people on Earth, rarely even contemplate something so extreme as suicide.

Most of the statistics which try to identify happiness. Rarely focus simply on asking people if they are happy. They tend to focus on things which supposedly make you happy. Things like money, the percentage of people who are overweight, or who smoke, or who have health insurance.

If you actually ask people if they are happy. Its called "life evaluation". And the happiest state in the country by that index, is Alaska. The third happiest state by that measure, is North Dakota. Does the existence of people who claim to be happy, mean everyone is going to be rushing to live in Alaska and North Dakota? I doubt it.

Top 5 and bottom 5 ranked states in life evaluation | Two Views

When you look at simply "optimism". The states that are most optimistic going into the future, are South Dakota, Utah, and Texas.

In fact. My home state of Oklahoma is consistently one of the most optimistic in the country. Of course, we also have a very high obesity rate. High rates of people who smoke cigarettes. High divorce rates. And relatively low incomes compared to the national average. What does it mean?

I like Oklahoma. I didn't really understand how much I liked it, until I went elsewhere. Is Oklahoma perfect? No. But no where is perfect.

I've actually gotten a lot happier, when I stopped believing that its the government's job to fix all my problems for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I swear this Republican purity purge reminds me of the freaking Chinese Cultural Revolution. Once upon a time the Republican Party consisted of political statesmen like Nelson Rockefeller, Jacob Javits, Everett Dirksen, George Romney, Bill Scranton, and Dwight Eisenhower, politicians who Republican bona fides have never been called to question. Yet today we have the Republican Red Brigades marching around purging any Republican who does not adhere to the political doggrel of political and intellectual lightweights like Rand Paul, Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, and Michele Bachmann. Individuals who couldn't fetch a glass of water for their predecessors.

Well keep on purging because unlike China we don't tend to allow vanguard parties to rule a democracy and Just like China we will be able to consign you Real Republican™ to the dustbin of political history, just like China disposed of Jiang Qing, Zhang Chunqiao, Yao Wenyuan, and Wang Hongwen.
It isn't as if the Republicans even have to exist as a party. If they are purging people, then those people should create their own party. And if that isn't possible because of the way our system of government is structured. Then maybe we need a revolution to institute a new government.

Who is with me?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right......................

I have been a liberal my whole life and am a right wing conservative as of five minutes ago.
My my all you far righties have the same reaction to someone questioning the antics of your fearless leaders, Throw em under the Bus! Thanks for continuing to prove freedom of thought is forbidden in the GOP.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
My my all you far righties have the same reaction to someone questioning the antics of your fearless leaders, Throw em under the Bus! Thanks for continuing to prove freedom of thought is forbidden in the GOP.
As the Republicans continue to alienate the center-right and continue to pander to the extreme right wing they will just become even more unelectable. You might have thought that the last two elections had taught them something. But no, it would seem not.

The Democrats, who have many faults and many impediments at least give the impression that they are listening to middle-America. The Republicans don't even bother any more.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:44 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,997,693 times
Quote:
And their tent continues to shrink.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Just had a thread I started closed for reason totally unclear, but it was on the subject of Sociopathy and how it permeates the right wing represenatives and base. Sociopaths are in denial and are repulsed when faced with truth. Ayn Rand attracted followers...why? Because her scorched earth policies were accepted by individuals just as demented as sociopathic as she was. Horribly, we now have entities within government attempting to push this sociopathic agenda while a perverse minded base cheers them on. Social misfits.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
That would be a valid point if the OP was ever GOP. By his own words (which I posted upthread), he's a democrat. For me, I have no patience for someone trying to lecture the GOP about why he's supposedly leaving the party when he never belonged to the GOP.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
It's literally been decades since Republicans have passed any bills/laws that have actually made a difference in ordinary Americans lives. I'm not surprised that you are ditching them.
What sort of difference? Positive or negative? The Iraq War sure as hell made an impact on ordinary Americans. So did Bush's completely insane tax cuts.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:51 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end. Since i'm a huge fan of lists I've decided to expound upon why I belive the party is a shell of it's former self.

1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.

2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.

3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.

4). Reaganomics is a joke.

5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.

6). The military really doesn't need to be this large.

7). It's blind aversion to scienfitic consensus.

8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.

9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.

10). They're war mongerers when their guy is in office...peacenics when the other guy is.

Other reasons exist but these are the primary ones that are leading to me taking off my bumper stickers and withdrawing my name from the GOP call lists. Enjoy your journey into mediocrity.
So you're just now figuring out that you don't like Reaganomics (from circa 30 yrs. ago) and so you're taking your GOP bumper stickers off of your car? LOL! I suppose next you're going to tell us that you've had it with Pat Paulsen's antics and will NOT be voting for him again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies