Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

Is it bias when pundits like Rush, Coulter, O'Reily call out the GOP over this stupid shutdown?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The media is extremely biased. That said the GOP bet it all on a weak position. The Dems own a good measure of blame. What has the dems done to come up with a balanced budget that both can agree to. By that I mean beyond rhetoric. Could it be that both are playing this for the same reason? Special interests?

Of course. Obama's duped plenty of people into blaming Republicans while dismissing his own complicity and that of his party in the shutdown. That's nothing new. Dems hold the presidency and the Senate, and they're blaming a handful of Tea Party Republicans? Laughable, and the useful idiots buy it.

Special interests abound in both parties, too. Take fossil Mitch McConnell (remember, I agree with term limits regardless of the party), who held out until he curiously got a $2 billion government construction contract for his home state of KY. They're all bringing home the pork.

Give me a break with these career politicians!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Is it bias when pundits like Rush, Coulter, O'Reily call out the GOP over this stupid shutdown?
The bias is so insidious, it's from both sides!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why would he have agreed to a one year delay? What would be the purpose of a delay for the Republicans othh
er than they could spend another year wasting time trying to defund ACA. Maybe they were hoping a delay would give them a chance to get a majority in the Senate too.
Obviously the purpose would be to try to come up with fixes for some of the more problematic provisions. Why not try to come up with some changes to keep Jimmy Hoffa Jr.'s head from exploding? Why not try to address the fine collection mechanism, which is going to eventually have to be changed anyway? Otherwise you have a system analogous to being able to buy car insurance after the accident, to cover the accident.

Not to mention, after one year maybe the computer software could be ready. Are you comfortable entering all of your personal info into a software system that is deemed not even ready for beta testing? I'm not.

Obama himself already delayed a key part of the law. Were you on here complaining about that?
Administration delays key ObamaCare insurance mandate | Fox News

If the law is to be repealed, it's not going to happen until Jan 20, 2017 anyway, when Obama no longer has his veto pen.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Obviously the purpose would be to try to come up with fixes for some of the more problematic provisions. Why not try to come up with some changes to keep Jimmy Hoffa Jr.'s head from exploding? Why not try to address the fine collection mechanism, which is going to eventually have to be changed anyway? Otherwise you have a system analogous to being able to buy car insurance after the accident, to cover the accident.

Not to mention, after one year maybe the computer software could be ready. Are you comfortable entering all of your personal info into a software system that is deemed not even ready for beta testing? I'm not.

Obama himself already delayed a key part of the law. Were you on here complaining about that?
Administration delays key ObamaCare insurance mandate | Fox News

If the law is to be repealed, it's not going to happen until Jan 20, 2017 anyway, when Obama no longer has his veto pen.
Then why did the House waste an entire year trying to pass bill after bill after bill to defund ACA knowing full well it would bever happen? Why should I believe they would spend all of next year doing the exact same thing had they gotten a year delay to it?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:54 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
24 billion is like saying... "If I played the lottery I might have won 100 million dollars but because I didn't play, I LOST 100 million dollars."... full of BS...

Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM

545 posts, read 400,411 times
The double-think that is going on in this very thread is what I expected before I even started reading the comments.

It's funny watching liberals prance around as if they are enlighten and on the side that is right because of the echo chambers they live in with the MSM backing them up and feeding them talking points. "Reality has a liberal bias!!", you are right, a liberal reality looks like this :

ObamaCare Employer Mandate: A List Of Cuts To Work Hours, Jobs

Death spiral: Hours cut, workers pushed to part-time due to Obamacare; ‘They keep cutting my hours’

Do I think the republicans should have done something that was more effective and with more finesse? Of course I do. But I'll take a little govt shutdown to fight a policy that has been causing all kinds of disasters throughout the economy and beyond.

And when Obamacare continue to fell, I am sure the media is gonna blame the republicans for it and the useful idiots on the left are going to eat it up all the while patting themselves on the back for being such free and enlighten thinkers.

Typical, liberals are shoving this Obamacare down the nation's throat, no matter the disaster and fallout and when the right pushes back, they are the extreme ones demanding to have it their way.

Think about, even some of the biggest Obamacare supporters don't want much to do with it and yet your rank and file liberal will still push and defend it, why?, because their puppet-masters in the media told them to and anyone else speaking out against it are just hateful obstructionists and right wing liars.

Liberals are out there marching for policies that would harm them pushed by people who won't be affected by it and anyone pointing this out just needs to shut up and get out of the way. "Reality has a liberal bias!!"....Sure...I have spoken directly to people, in real life who had their hrs cut because of Obamacare and yet it's those damn republicans who are out to destroy and harm the working/middle class. To be a useful idiot and think of yourself as enlighten at the same time is the height of cognitive dissonance, but not surprising.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:39 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
It's funny watching liberals prance around as if they are enlighten and on the side that is right because of the echo chambers they live in
The irony of that statement is rather remarkable, especially given that one citation you provided is for an article by a pundit who is an economic inequality denier and has never failed to have a bad thing to say about President Obama and ACA, and has extolled the ideas of Senator Ryan, and Newt Gingrich; and a citation that didn't invite balancing comments about those who could not afford healthcare this year but will be able to afford health coverage next year. Eric clearly understands that his chosen echo chambers work best when focused on sources that favor his predetermined personal preference.

Quote:
But I'll take a little govt shutdown to fight a policy that has been causing all kinds of disasters throughout the economy and beyond.
There are so many failures in that comment I don't know where to begin. The government shutdown wasn't "little". All shutdowns are big and damaging. And the time to fight the policy is when it was passed. I know you feel that your side didn't get to impose its own preferences on ACA, and that you're upset that your side's attempt to call for a "do over" has failed 40+ times. Get over it. You live in a democratic republic - abide by its processes. Heck, I want to get rid of the filibuster. We all have to live with the system as it is, until we can convince enough other people to elect representatives that will vote that way. Stop rationalizing the immature behavior of the partisans you support.

Quote:
Typical, liberals are shoving this Obamacare down the nation's throat, no matter the disaster and fallout and when the right pushes back, they are the extreme ones demanding to have it their way.
As much as you try to dodge and evade, Eric, your perspective is indicative of the real problem here. Your side lost - I'm not talking about earlier this week, I'm talking about 2008, 2009, 2010. It's time to get over it and start accepting our society's duly ratified laws.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That's a lot of words to say pretty much nothing. Bottom line, Obama could have stopped the shutdown on day one by agreeing to a one year delay. The computer systems are not ready for roll out anyway. The unions would have cheered and the IRS union would not have to be in the embarrassing position of seeking exemption from the very law that the IRS is tasked with enforcing.

You can't remove the onus of the shutdown from Pres. Obama, no matter how you duck and dodge. To use your own words, 'suck it up.'
Some onus.
The Republican party crashed, burned, and is now busy trying to kill the survivors.

That's the bottom line. Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:04 PM

545 posts, read 400,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The irony of that statement is rather remarkable, especially given that one citation you provided is for an article by a pundit who is an economic inequality denier and has never failed to have a bad thing to say about President Obama and ACA, and has extolled the ideas of Senator Ryan, and Newt Gingrich; and a citation that didn't invite balancing comments about those who could not afford healthcare this year but will be able to afford health coverage next year. Eric clearly understands that his chosen echo chambers work best when focused on sources that favor his predetermined personal preference.
Of course, attack the source as not credible. Economic inequality denier? Never have anything nice to say about Obama?, I see, so he lacks credibility because you say so?. That's not gonna fly.

Quote:
There are so many failures in that comment I don't know where to begin. The government shutdown wasn't "little". All shutdowns are big and damaging. And the time to fight the policy is when it was passed. I know you feel that your side didn't get to impose its own preferences on ACA, and that you're upset that your side's attempt to call for a "do over" has failed 40+ times. Get over it. You live in a democratic republic - abide by its processes. Heck, I want to get rid of the filibuster. We all have to live with the system as it is, until we can convince enough other people to elect representatives that will vote that way. Stop rationalizing the immature behavior of the partisans you support.
It was a little shutdown, workers get their back pay and we are still stuck with Obamacare. And you want to sit here and act like you have done things the right way, because "we won", tell that to the workers who had their hrs cut, tell them "it's the law" and get another part time job just to break even. And what was the damage done?. The workers get their back pay, so who was really hurt?

Quote:
As much as you try to dodge and evade, Eric, your perspective is indicative of the real problem here. Your side lost - I'm not talking about earlier this week, I'm talking about 2008, 2009, 2010. It's time to get over it and start accepting our society's duly ratified laws.
No, the real problem here is that after you have been told how bad the fallout was from the stupid crap your side pushed, you couldn't fall back on any success but "we won". Good for you, now how does that negate any of the problems that have came for this and other liberal policies?. And yeah, laws that have been sold as affordable only to pass as a tax.

From what I can tell is that you find yourself so sure that you haven't even bothered to address anything I have said and just rant on anyway. Obama-care is a disaster, the website doesn't even work for crying out loud and you didn't so much as touch on that and you want to accuse others of deflection? Address the points I had and not cherry pick stuff and prance around like you had something substantive to say.

This is what I said and you've just proved it :Liberals are out there marching for policies that would harm them pushed by people who won't be affected by it and anyone pointing this out just needs to shut up and get out of the way.

I'm not saying what the republicans done was good but at least they were trying to fight this horrible policy that has being rammed down the throats of Americans. Pat yourself on your back if you want, people are suffering because of Obamacare, you can own that and feel like you've "won" something special. All you just did was throw a fit and stomp your feet like a child.

Last edited by EricGold; 10-18-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies