Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokingHazard View Post
if cops hunted minorities like slaves, there would be a lot fewer illegal aliens.

IMAO, we have a high incarceration rate because of the cops' bosses. they're the ones who direct the cops to spend so much of their time prosecuting that BS war on drugs. they're also the ones who pass those mandatory minimum , 3 strikes and try a kid as an adult laws.

Well they have to keep the prisons full for the investors

Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokingHazard View Post
if cops hunted minorities like slaves, there would be a lot fewer illegal aliens.

IMAO, we have a high incarceration rate because of the cops' bosses. they're the ones who direct the cops to spend so much of their time prosecuting that BS war on drugs. they're also the ones who pass those mandatory minimum , 3 strikes and try a kid as an adult laws.
Illegal alien ain't a race. Even the "Hispanics", some are "white" but try to claim "minority" for the goodies.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:58 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
As private prisons become the norm in the United States, it's time society takes a look at the institution and asks, "Are prisons really being used as rehabilitation/deterrence for crime, or have private interests started attaching price tags to lawbreakers’ heads and exploited their incarceration for profit?"
Here are several key statistics that paint an ugly, troubling picture of the for-profit prison system in America:
500% Increase
The biggest private prison owner in America, The Corrections Corporation of America, has seen its profits increase by more than 500% in the past 20 years. Moreover, the business’ growth shows no sign of stopping, having already approached 48 states to take over government-run prisons.
10-60 Pounds Lighter
One way for-profit prisons to minimize costs is by skimping on provisions, including food. A psychiatrist who investigated a privately run prison in Mississippi found that the inmates were severely underfed and looked “almost emaciated.” During their incarceration, prisoners dropped anywhere from 10 to 60 pounds.
100%
100% of all military helmets, ID tags, bullet-proof vests and canteens are created in federal prison systems through prison labor. Though prisoners are “generously” compensated cents per hour, it’s clear having this inexpensive, exploited labor force is critical to the military industrial complex. I bet that the irony that mostly non-violent offenders are making war gear for others to perpetuate violence abroad without consequence is not lost on many of the inmates.
90% Occupancy
States sign agreements with private prisons to guarantee that they will fill a certain number of beds in jail at any given point. The most common rate is 90%, though some prisons are able to snag a 100% promise from their local governments. Because of these contracts, the state is obligated to keep prisons almost full at all times or pay for the beds anyway, so the incentive is to incarcerate more people and for longer in order to fill the quota.
25%
One in every four people that is incarcerated worldwide is held captive in a United States jail. How is it that a country with only 5% of the world’s population has 25% of all the inmates? Simple: prisoners are source of revenue for private companies, so the demand for incarcerating them is especially high.
11 Times
Violent crimes are down overall, so how does the United States keep prisons stocked instead? Amplifying the war on drugs: there are now 11 times as many people in jail for drug convictions than there were in 1980, constituting 50% of the prison population. Longer mandatory minimum sentences also keeps the inmates in longer. Most people incarcerated for drug charges are non-violent, have no prior record, and are addicts rather than major drug-traffickers.
50%
Nearly half of all detained immigrants are held in privately owned facilities. The fact that ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) has stepped up its game to detain more undocumented immigrants – about 400,000 each year – has actually increased the need for private systems as most detainees will linger in the system waiting for court dates for months if not years.
Civil rights groups have deemed the quality of care provided in immigrant detention centers unacceptable, particularly because of the large numbers of preventable fatalities and sexual assaults.
$45 million
The three largest for-profit prison corporations have spent more than $45 million on campaign donations and lobbyists to keep politicians on the side of privatized incarceration. In light of all of their ethical violations, it’s obvious that they have to offer some incentive for keeping their business legal.

Lobbyist$$$$ and corruption, again a problem here.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

What are you going to do about it?
I didn't get that memo.

[shrug]

Old 12-28-2013, 02:29 AM

60 posts, read 52,830 times
Quote:
When it comes to raising revenue, harassment, and falsifying/planting evidence, its blacks and other minorities (blacks, poor people, hispanics, people with certain cars or who dress a certain way) who suffer the most. Statistics show the number of stops on people of color and other traits depending on area, are extremely disproportionate to the current majority (whites, upper middle class whites particularly).

Why should they be allowed to do this and is this the intended purpose of a government Police force to begin with?

Private Police forces can be maintained with much more transparency and due process.

We currently have the highest incarceration rate (per capita and raw numbers) in the world.

What are you going to do about it?
I would say BS had I not been privy to several vids and sites sent to me by friends on this topic...Very sad...to say the least..
I have seen in some metro areas where minorities are targeted as racial profiling, basically being hustled and harassed for crimes that have not been committed however their white counterparts have not had they niot fit the profile...I.E..Meaning did not dress nice, looked strung out ect..
As a mom living in the suburbs I would raise hell if my son was apprehended for a crime he diod not do meaning he was standing around waiting around for me to pick him up in a public spot...
I am half white and his father is as white as they come and he looks spanish...
So for someone of authority calling him a mutt and demanding what he is doing waiting outside the mall for a ride? Harassment and there would be hell to pay...This mama is crazy like that...
When I saw a video of this very thing happening and the kid taped it? I would go straight to the media...
This is bullshido...My heart went out to this kid...This is ridiculous...
Then to go further? A cop on the force went on record but his his face and stated that they have PRESSURE coming from the PD to do this and they need to have a quota? Hell no. I am so glad that this officer was decent enough being that he had much to lose..
The child involved was man handled and when trying to ask why he was being targeted and stated he was doing nothing wrong? The attending officer shouted curses at him and called him am mutt? Dumb ass mofo, where is his mother? I would have had his badge number and name by the end of the day and would have gone to the media...!!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:04 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Those are some very, very interesting statistics Dreamofmonterey. I'm a stats guy so will definitely remember a few of those stats. Defnitely didnt know the 11x stat about incarceration now compared to 1980 when the crack epidemic was in full swing and cities were seeing their highest rates ever.

I also appreciate your perspective das. Some in this thread do not believe its an issue, or even that it happens. Yet they want people to support their rights and Lord forbid an officer ever flips out on them or tries to entrap them or assault them. For those with money, they have the means to hire a high powered attorney and press charges. For the poor, that's not really an option. Just paying court fees and fines usually breaks the bank.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:46 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
As private prisons become the norm in the United States, it's time society takes a look at the institution and asks, "Are prisons really being used as rehabilitation/deterrence for crime, or have private interests started attaching price tags to lawbreakers’ heads and exploited their incarceration for profit?"
Here are several key statistics that paint an ugly, troubling picture of the for-profit prison system in America:
500% Increase
The biggest private prison owner in America, The Corrections Corporation of America, has seen its profits increase by more than 500% in the past 20 years. Moreover, the business’ growth shows no sign of stopping, having already approached 48 states to take over government-run prisons.
10-60 Pounds Lighter
One way for-profit prisons to minimize costs is by skimping on provisions, including food. A psychiatrist who investigated a privately run prison in Mississippi found that the inmates were severely underfed and looked “almost emaciated.” During their incarceration, prisoners dropped anywhere from 10 to 60 pounds.
100%
100% of all military helmets, ID tags, bullet-proof vests and canteens are created in federal prison systems through prison labor. Though prisoners are “generously” compensated cents per hour, it’s clear having this inexpensive, exploited labor force is critical to the military industrial complex. I bet that the irony that mostly non-violent offenders are making war gear for others to perpetuate violence abroad without consequence is not lost on many of the inmates.
90% Occupancy
States sign agreements with private prisons to guarantee that they will fill a certain number of beds in jail at any given point. The most common rate is 90%, though some prisons are able to snag a 100% promise from their local governments. Because of these contracts, the state is obligated to keep prisons almost full at all times or pay for the beds anyway, so the incentive is to incarcerate more people and for longer in order to fill the quota.
25%
One in every four people that is incarcerated worldwide is held captive in a United States jail. How is it that a country with only 5% of the world’s population has 25% of all the inmates? Simple: prisoners are source of revenue for private companies, so the demand for incarcerating them is especially high.
11 Times
Violent crimes are down overall, so how does the United States keep prisons stocked instead? Amplifying the war on drugs: there are now 11 times as many people in jail for drug convictions than there were in 1980, constituting 50% of the prison population. Longer mandatory minimum sentences also keeps the inmates in longer. Most people incarcerated for drug charges are non-violent, have no prior record, and are addicts rather than major drug-traffickers.
50%
Nearly half of all detained immigrants are held in privately owned facilities. The fact that ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) has stepped up its game to detain more undocumented immigrants – about 400,000 each year – has actually increased the need for private systems as most detainees will linger in the system waiting for court dates for months if not years.
Civil rights groups have deemed the quality of care provided in immigrant detention centers unacceptable, particularly because of the large numbers of preventable fatalities and sexual assaults.
$45 million
The three largest for-profit prison corporations have spent more than $45 million on campaign donations and lobbyists to keep politicians on the side of privatized incarceration. In light of all of their ethical violations, it’s obvious that they have to offer some incentive for keeping their business legal.

Lobbyist$$$$ and corruption, again a problem here.
Excellent information, Kudos!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 05:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Quote:
Those are some very, very interesting statistics Dreamofmonterey. I'm a stats guy so will definitely remember a few of those stats. Defnitely didnt know the 11x stat about incarceration now compared to 1980 when the crack epidemic was in full swing and cities were seeing their highest rates ever.

I also appreciate your perspective das. Some in this thread do not believe its an issue, or even that it happens. Yet they want people to support their rights and Lord forbid an officer ever flips out on them or tries to entrap them or assault them. For those with money, they have the means to hire a high powered attorney and press charges. For the poor, that's not really an option. Just paying court fees and fines usually breaks the bank.
Thanks: glad to help w. facts- they are dire. Privatization is a huge problem. Wall St wants to privatize the court system eventually. Can you imagine?

The corporate media won't address these facts, sadly.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:48 PM

237 posts, read 192,146 times
Update: Utica Police Allegedly Plant Evidence In Suspect’s Car | The New York Observer

Make the quota.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 AM

60 posts, read 52,830 times
Quote:

It is an issue...within our communities as well as the dept itself..
My oldest nephew went through the Police Academy and graduated in December of last year and he was ready to wear that badge and stand up for what is supposed to be justice, protecting the weak, never using the power of their authority in the wrong way..
He is half Black and was snatched up immediately by a police department in a nearby city and was informed that he would be the first black officer in a decade to serve on the force...My family was very proud of him however his stay with the dept. was brief when he stated to us that he saw things that he did not sign up for...
So he decided after thinking things through to follow in my dad's footseps and work for the dept of corrections.
He will be assigned to the same prison my dad was at since dad pulled strings with the warden..
Not bragging but dad left a legacy with officers and inmates as being a fair and just man my nephew will thrive in this environment.
Profiling and harassment has gone to new lengths and something must be done to protect the innocent..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies