Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:54 AM

14,957 posts, read 12,166,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
By "this long" do you mean until the 1930s? That's when the food stamp program started in the US. I doubt it will ever "go down for good" but if it ever does hopefully it will be right after people who make statements like that need it.
If folks like that need food stamps, it'll be because the government has taken every dime they've earned to "redistribute" among those who haven't earned it.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:16 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
If folks like that need food stamps, it'll be because the government has taken every dime they've earned to "redistribute" among those who haven't earned it.
Or they just fall on hard times. There's lots of people who use welfare for what it's intended, a stopgap until they can get back on their feet. There's also the multi-generational parasite class. The difficulty is providing welfare to the former without enabling the latter.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:25 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,991,845 times
Quote:

I can't think that anyone would begrudge a truly needy person who has met on hard times through no fault of his/her own food stamps, and whatever other kind of aid they can get.
Sadly, it appears there are at least two such people in this very thread.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:31 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,370,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Folks who have chosen a subsistence lifestyle are not interested in changing.

Folks who are making low wages would be happy to live differently . . . why don't you do what you can to pass legislation making it mandatory to pay all people at least a living wage?

Otherwise, all your rhetoric is nothing more than arrogant posturing. It appears you don't have a solution, other than letting people die.
I'd also call the posturing "sanctimonious."

Old 10-13-2013, 02:34 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Comparing hungry adults and children to wild animals and calling it irony is a sad reflection on your level of humanity.

Nice try, but Paul is exhorting early Christians against laziness and weariness and a loss of faith in the face of persecution by non Christians. In no way is he speaking against charity.

Want to quote the bible? How about Matthew 25:31-46...

31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' 41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' 44 "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' 45 "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' 46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
Taking Biblical quotes out of context is the favorite past time of people who wrap themselves in their religiosity and try to justify their most un-Christlike ideas.

Quote:
And many of those folks contribute much to their favorite charities and volunteer their time as they can....but don't talk about it so you'd never know.

I can't think that anyone would begrudge a truly needy person who has met on hard times through no fault of his/her own food stamps, and whatever other kind of aid they can get. But you know as well as I do that there are significant numbers of people who use food stamps fraudulantly, or figure on living on the public dole as a lifestyle and have no thoughts of helping themselves. I think these are the folks for whom these disparaging comments are meant.
You are naive. These people think that people are poor because they "deserve" to be so because they are all lazy, drugged up crooks, hence the comparison of the poor to wild animals and the "little crackheads" comment.

FYI for all:

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of SNAP recipients who can work do so. Among SNAP households with at least one working-age, non-disabled adult, more than half work while receiving SNAP — and more than 80 percent work in the year prior to or the year after receiving SNAP. The rates are even higher for families with children — more than 60 percent work while receiving SNAP, and almost 90 percent work in the prior or subsequent year.
SNAP

Old 10-13-2013, 03:30 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,694,673 times
in my state "able bodied" single adults are not eligible for food assistance. When I was doing my clinicals for nursing, I took care of a homeless man who complained of chest pain.. after he was cleared by the docs to eat, he ate (i believe) eight meals in the next 12 hours.. at least a couple were double portions.. not sure what the cardiac workup cost the taxpayers & insured patients, but I'm thinking it cost much more than food stamps would have cost for several years..

glad to see you neocons are so great at math.. we "save" tons of money by not feeding the hungry.. if you block them out of the hospital, they'll just break into your homes - not sure where this idea of the hungry among us just going behind a dumpster & dying quietly came from, but it's not gonna happen..

Old 10-13-2013, 03:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Able body single adults are eligible for food stamps, and the example above, would have a medical waiver.

Able bodied adults, do have a work requirement, 20 hours a week of work at Goodwill. Unless on a medical waiver.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:49 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,325,352 times
There children who rely on EBT. It's not their fault that their parents are irresponsible. We shouldn't punish the children, they don't know any better.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:05 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
There children who rely on EBT. It's not their fault that their parents are irresponsible. We shouldn't punish the children, they don't know any better.
Wow, pulling out the knee jerk lib response. "Think of the children, think of the children!!". OK, what else should you reward dead beat parents with in the name of the children? Free housing? Free car? Poverty pimps love to have it both ways. They claim that people don't have more kids to receiving increased benefits, then they turn around and claim benefits can't be cut because it would hurt the innocent children.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Wow, pulling out the knee jerk lib response. "Think of the children, think of the children!!". OK, what else should you reward dead beat parents with in the name of the children? Free housing? Free car? Poverty pimps love to have it both ways. They claim that people don't have more kids to receiving increased benefits, then they turn around and claim benefits can't be cut because it would hurt the innocent children.
There is no way to change the integrity and character of the recipients. People who are into scamming and fraud will always figure out how to game the system. The only way to stop the type of scamming you refer to is by either fining people for having children (China) or to take away the children and put them in state run group homes. Neither solution is acceptable in our society.

If you have a solution, other than state mandates of family size, sterilization, or group homes please share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies