Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 03:05 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
Nice try at a railroad. What evidence do you have that suggests the worker does not enjoy the job ?

Go from there . This has nothing to do with outside individual impressions and opinions of a job and an honest days work.
I'm not railroading anything. Just because someone points out common sense and you don't agree that people should use common sense does not mean anything is being railroaded. Do you even know what that means? Judging by your other posts, I seriously doubt it.

I said nothing at all about whether or not she enjoyed it. Your reading comprehension is right up there with your ability to write a coherent paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 PM

545 posts, read 452,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm not railroading anything. Just because someone points out common sense and you don't agree that people should use common sense does not mean anything is being railroaded. Do you even know what that means? Judging by your other posts, I seriously doubt it.

I said nothing at all about whether or not she enjoyed it. Your reading comprehension is right up there with your ability to write a coherent paragraph.
You clearly made a negative assessment in the nature of the work including a suggestion that the effort is away from succeeding, a smokescreen to the issue. Its an honest days work.

This issue has to do with paying properly for a job which does not have anything to do with creating huge profits while the workers who make the profits possible need to beg. Its an asking on behalf of the buis directly at society -for wealth.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
You clearly made a negative assessment in the nature of the work including a suggestion that the effort is away from succeeding, a smokescreen to the issue. Its an honest days work.

This issue has to do with paying properly for a job which does not have anything to do with creating huge profits while the workers who make the profits possible need to beg. Its an asking on behalf of society for wealth.
No, I did not "clearly make a negative assessment in the nature of the work". I made an assessment of the woman's complete lack of drive. The two are totally different.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There are like 15 post saying this. You do realize this is completely untrue and impossible right?

Kids go to school during the day, who do you think works from 6 AM to 3PM ? Who do you think works the night shift ? Who do you think manages these places ?

Did you people really think everyone who worked in fast food was 16 or something ???
She's not a manager. They make more than that.

And yes, millions of kids work at fast food restaurants. Nobody said anything about being 16.

These jobs are temporary while a kid gets an education, finds better work or moves up into management. If this woman hasn't pursued any of those options, she's got some real issues.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 PM

Well if your comfortable with classifying the function of this work as a lack of drive then its only your opinion and contradicts any evidence which I originally requested which was available and demonstrated the women did not enjoy the job, off topic and a double burger smokescreen.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Well if your comfortable with classifying the function of this work as a lack of drive then its only your opinion and contradicts any evidence which I originally requested which was available and demonstrated the women did not enjoy the job and since introduced a double smokescreen.
Let me spell this out slowly for you:

I am classifying the fact that she has made no move from McD's in 10 years to be a lack of drive.

She has stayed at the same, low paying job for 10 years.

In 10 years, she has not moved on to a different, better paying job.

For 10 years, she has accepted that she is only worth minimum wage.

Is any of this sinking in yet?

As for your original request...again, who the hell can even understand what you wrote?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Let me spell this out slowly for you:

I am classifying the fact that she has made no move from McD's in 10 years to be a lack of drive.

She has stayed at the same, low paying job for 10 years.

In 10 years, she has not moved on to a different, better paying job.

For 10 years, she has accepted that she is only worth minimum wage.

Is any of this sinking in yet?

As for your original request...again, who the hell can even understand what you wrote?
So now we have even more evidence, that she was not hoping for a raise or being led to believe a raise or promotion was on its way. Hmmm.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:31 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,900 times
Why do people think they should be able to make a living at places like McDonalds?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:34 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,900 times
Those kind of jobs pretty much pay the wages that the work demands - no skills required, no education required, no experience required... literally ANYONE can do the job.

When you offer a job that anyone can do, you don't have to pay very much, because if someone thinks it's too little, you can just hire someone else who thinks it's enough for them.

Those kind of jobs are not meant to be "career jobs" that you can expect to support a family on - they are temporary jobs that you can do to make a little extra money. If you are a teenager with no bills or expenses, you can make a few hundred bucks a month to buy a ****ty used car or a new xbox or whatever. If you are an adult and a little behind on your bills you can pick up one of these jobs to help catch up, etc. And then you quit and go off to college or get a "real" job or whatever.

The problem is some people think that if they have a job, ANY job (fast food, Wal-Mart, etc.), it should be enough to live off. They fail to grasp the concept of supply/demand and don't consider that it makes no sense to expect to be paid a high wage for doing a job that literally anyone else could do as well. If they want a "living wage" then they should acquire some useful skills that people ARE willing to pay more for.

But this is why I like the Universal Basic Income idea from Switzerland. If you don't have the skills or education needed to get a good job, then fine - here's your money that everyone gets. If you need a little more, pick up a job at Burger King. But I don't like any of these suggestions like "minimum wage" or "living wage" that forces companies to pay more than the market demands, because all that does is increase costs for the rest of us. Especially when "the rest of us" DON'T get raises when minimum wage goes up, all we get are increased costs.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Why do people think they should be able to make a living at places like McDonalds?
Because it exists in what is understood to be an organized civilization.
civ·il *(svl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or befitting a citizen or citizens: civil duties.
2. Of or relating to citizens and their interrelations with one another or with the state: civil society; the civil branches of government.
3. Of ordinary citizens or ordinary community life as distinguished from the military or the ecclesiastical: civil authorities.
4. Of or in accordance with organized society; civilized.
5. Sufficiently observing or befitting accepted social usages; not rude: a civil reply. See Synonyms at polite.
Civilization..
n.
1. An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.
2. The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
3. The act or process of civilizing or reaching a civilized state.
4. Cultural or intellectual refinement; good taste. ( good taste includes wage's not only double burgers)
5. Modern society with its conveniences.

Well, I gotta get back to work !

Last edited by macpherson; 10-16-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies