Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
It's a start ? I'm not sure what you getting at. I was just asking if she graduated HS.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
What I'm getting at is that a high school diploma or equivalency has been devalued today to the point of worthlessness. I'm not a big enthusiast of having a piece of paper to declare that one is good at something anyhow. There are many brilliant people out there who have little formal education. All that matters to the suits, however, is that piece of paper.
If you ask me, most colleges and universities these days are little more than conformity of thought factories that merely prepare you for a life working in an office cubicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 10:19 PM

545 posts, read 452,019 times
If the majority of retail was owned by people who were educated themselves, they would be smart enough to know paying and looking after your employee's who get you there is crucial.

Thats what this is all about , education...but not the workers -the decision makers, they are the drop outs. Very few in my understanding even stayed in school past 16. Even this guy here, there yu go...an expert burger maker for forty years. Retail and commercial owners are not educated, thats what this is all about.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
There's her first problem. McDonald's isn't a career, it's a part-time job that you use to advance up the food chain.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
If the majority of retail was owned by people who were educated themselves, they would be smart enough to know paying and looking after your employees who get you there is crucial.

Thats what this is all about , education...but not the workers -the decision makers, they are the drop outs. Very few in my understanding even stayed in school past 16. Even this guy here, there yu go...an expert burger maker for forty years.

That's a good point. Lots of CEOs have no formal business training, yet they demand all sorts of degrees in the people beneath them.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:30 PM

545 posts, read 452,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
That's a good point. Lots of CEOs have no formal business training, yet they demand all sorts of degrees in the people beneath them.

Thanks its a great point. If IBM were franchised out decades ago, to todays retail owner they would of gone belly up a long time ago. Treating your employee's properly and half decent communication is crucial. For starters not knowing or having a clue as to a very militant and angry idea in the employee's mindset is very anti productive... True or untrue re the $ is not the start up issue, the outcome is a failure out of incapacity.

Last edited by macpherson; 10-17-2013 at 10:44 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 03:33 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
5.5 Billion dollars profit for McDonalds came on the back of these low paid workers only. Now people can make fun of low paid workers that he/she should go to college or move to a better job but everywhere its the same story. Fast food workers strike is the only option-otherwise people will go on making fun of low salary workers. If they think that profits can be made by giving low salary, then serious dent can be made into those profits if workers resort to STRIKE. One day nationwide strike at Fast Food restaurants will cause billions of dollars of loss. Its not that I want strikes, but then a corporation cant go far with miserable and disgruntled employees dependent on taxpayer's money on Food stamps, Medicaid etc. At the end of the day, our country is pushed back by creating millions of poorly paid citizens dependent on welfare despite working.
Government is responsible for the cost of living and inflation....not McDonald's.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
She has been flipping burgers for 10 years! She has no drive what so ever. The president started working at McDonalds in the 70's as a regular crew member. He worked his way up to his position.

If you are going to make a career out of McDonalds, then make a career out of it!

Oh, and she was not arrested. She was issued a ticket but not arrested.

McDonald's President Was Caught Off Guard By Low-Wage, Single Mom : The Salt : NPR
You know, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a big mac or whatever, if McDonalds would pay it's employee's a decent wage.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:52 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh I think 10 years of failure to move forward is quite enough evidence. Or did you miss that part?
The problem with your statement is you are assuming that anyone has the intelligence to move up and if they don't it is because they are lazy or not trying. Some people min wage jobs are all they can do.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 AM

423 posts, read 415,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
What I'm getting at is that a high school diploma or equivalency has been devalued today to the point of worthlessness. I'm not a big enthusiast of having a piece of paper to declare that one is good at something anyhow. There are many brilliant people out there who have little formal education. All that matters to the suits, however, is that piece of paper.
If you ask me, most colleges and universities these days are little more than conformity of thought factories that merely prepare you for a life working in an office cubicle.
I agree...

But, when you're rifling through a stack of resumes, whittling down that stack to interviewing size and all you have to go by is words on a piece of paper, a college degree tells a prospective employer that this particular individual set out a long-term goal, worked hard and achieved it.

Without personally knowing the background and acumen of each and every applicant in that stack, this is the kind of thing that separates the people who will get a face to face, and those that won't.

Again, I agree that a sheepskin doesn't guarantee a great employee. But all things considered, it helps get that all-important foot in the door.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,379 times
Arrested huh? What jail was she booked at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies