Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 05:41 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Did the school know the child had asthma problems?
It's not clear - but regardless, if a kid tells you they can't breathe it's always an emergency. You can die on your first asthma attack (though since she had a nebulizer at home, it's unlikely this was her first attack). Additionally, most schools do not allow the children to have their own medication on them, including inhalers, so it is behind lock and key. There have been ongoing issues of kids not being able to get necessary meds in many of these budget-cut schools because there is no one authorized to administer them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 05:51 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,739,474 times
I think what we are seeing from this post is that conservatives, reeling from their recent failures, are lashing out at anyone who they perceive as not following their hard right ideology. Because this parent assumed that the school was doing its duty (as many would) in keeping the child safe while in their possession, he is being labeled as a "lazy Democrat". The OP has no idea what political affiliation the father has. I read the entire article and I found no mention of the word "Democrat". I thought that maybe I was missing something so I did a word search and didn't even find it on the entire page that was linked. Furthermore, how this term would even be relevant to the situation is beyond me. Instead of being concerned that a girl is dead, the only point is to try and make a political statement. I guess we'll be seeing these type of tantrums from the right for a while.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,738,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It's not clear - but regardless, if a kid tells you they can't breathe it's always an emergency. You can die on your first asthma attack (though since she had a nebulizer at home, it's unlikely this was her first attack). Additionally, most schools do not allow the children to have their own medication on them, including inhalers, so it is behind lock and key. There have been ongoing issues of kids not being able to get necessary meds in many of these budget-cut schools because there is no one authorized to administer them.

So the parents were aware of the girls medical condition.

"your girl is not feeling well"

"Is she having trouble breathing?"

Lots of excuses and one dead child.

budget cuts

Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
Catch 22. School calls 911- parents get the bill, and make a fuss. They don't, they call parents, who do nothing, child dies, they get mad.

What should the school do? There should be a protocol. Call parents, notify them their child is ill, and if they do not pick up child, call 911.

Admin staff should not be in the role of medical providers.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,735,744 times
I would like to know what those parents were doing when the school called them. When the school volunteer drove the girl home (because they wouldn't pick her up), her dad was at home, not work. So was he sitting at home the whole time assuming the school was taking care of his daughter? That's what it sounds like. He clearly was home when she was brought there, so he could have had his ass at school instead. If your child is sick, get your butt in the car and go take care of her.
Poor girl.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:02 AM

78,536 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I think what we are seeing from this post is that conservatives, reeling from their recent failures, are lashing out at anyone who they perceive as not following their hard right ideology. Because this parent assumed that the school was doing its duty (as many would) in keeping the child safe while in their possession, he is being labeled as a "lazy Democrat". The OP has no idea what political affiliation the father has. I read the entire article and I found no mention of the word "Democrat". I thought that maybe I was missing something so I did a word search and didn't even find it on the entire page that was linked. Furthermore, how this term would even be relevant to the situation is beyond me. Instead of being concerned that a girl is dead, the only point is to try and make a political statement. I guess we'll be seeing these type of tantrums from the right for a while.
This is nothing new around here and these types of stupid political attacks come from both sides. It's utter insanity.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:15 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,977,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
OP, I see you are one of those who will make everything about politics. If the girl said he couldn't breathe y should've called 911. It's as simple as that.
It is "simple as that", but only "sort of". What the OP's post brings to mind is a lack of individual responsibility. The assumption that "someone else will do it".

It's not particularly political, but our politics encourages it.

The father - up hearing she was suffering asthma, should have insisted on calling 911, if they (school) would not.

The teachers - should have called 911 upon hearing she had trouble breathing.

The administrators - same thing.

How is it that ALL the layers of people had the exact same failure of individual responsibility? It is cultural. It would be understandable if any ONE had failed, but the others acted. But they ALL failed, which means the problem is common to all of them.

The fact that any teacher had a student with asthma and did not know what they should do is reprehensible. NO teacher should ever become a teacher without being fully informed on the issues with asthma, anaphylaxis, hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, broken bones, and shock - at the bare minimum. The idea that those things are 'someone else's duty' can only be a deliberate cultural issue.

Last edited by pnwmdk; 10-18-2013 at 07:35 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So the parents were aware of the girls medical condition.

"your girl is not feeling well"

"Is she having trouble breathing?"

Lots of excuses and one dead child.

budget cuts
Budget cuts? The very notion that this is a budget issue AT ALL is insane. EVERY person involved failed to take responsibility. And BUDGETS have NOTHING to do with that.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You go back a few posts from here and read my response.

Your response is sheer insanity.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:21 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Not sure what this has to do with politics, the article made no mention of who the parents vote for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies