Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 12:39 PM

872 posts, read 828,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Minorities are not my focus. They are the focus of the many here who continue to argue that people continue to have babies so they can collect welfare.........SURELY you've heard of the "Welfare Queen" stereotype. That's what they're referring to. Google it.

In this forum, it seems that for many the words "Dem" or "Democrat" or poor people is just code for a certain minority. many posters have assumed that I'm black because I advocate for the poor.
You are the one that has brought up race. The rest of us did not.........

Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,137 times
I imagine pellagra, rickets and scurvy will become more common as a result of this. In addition to the debt clock there should be a death clock that measures the number of people who die as a result of spending cuts.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I imagine pellagra, rickets and scurvy will become more common as a result of this. In addition to the debt clock there should be a death clock that measures the number of people who die as a result of spending cuts.
It's not a cut. It's the end of a temporary increase.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
You noticed that too! Heck, I could give a ton of anecdotal evidence... and every last bit of it would be white fraud since I live in a predominately white area. This isn't about race... it really comes down to character. Those who think that it's better to take from others for their own behalf, and also to cheat the system because it's self-serving... to heck with the others who perhaps need the assistance more. We on the right are called the selfish ones and ask over and over again, "What about the starving children?" Yes... what about the starving children. Aren't those cheating the system more guilty of taking food out of starving childens mouths?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:49 PM

537 posts, read 740,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Funny how that works. It's become a running joke these days.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It doesn't take somebody new to the forum long to figure out what's what and who's who .
In this case, one thread is enough.

btdt. 10 FS threads a day is against TOS.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

btdt. 10 FS threads a day is against TOS.
What does "btdt" mean? also what are FS threads?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Why would we believe you? Canyon Cat gave personal anecdotal evidence and you blaster him/her. So just because YOU say it we should believe it? Who died and left you in charge?
I didn't say that you should believe me. It's up to you to determine whether or not you believe anecdotes posted on a public forum. Nobody died and left me in charge. I'm just countering positions I disagree with, and I point out holes in arguments when I see them. What's your problem? Aren't you capable of doing the same so you start with personal jabsin your responses and putting personal attacks out there?. You're getting too emotional and not thinking clearly when you start attacking other posters personally in ways which do not involve their positions in the argument.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
Funny how that works. It's become a running joke these days.
ahhh, yes, as a liberal I came up with the allusion to race all by myself. Here, maybe this will help:

"A welfare queen is a pejorative phrase used in the United States to refer to people who are accused of collecting excessive welfare payments through fraud or manipulation. Reporting on welfare fraud began during the early 1960s, appearing in general interest magazines such as Readers Digest. The term entered the American lexicon during Ronald Reagan's 1976 presidential campaign when he described a "welfare queen" from Chicago's South Side.[1]
Since then, it has become a stigmatizing label placed on recidivist poor mothers, with studies showing that it often carries gendered and racial connotations.[2][3] Although American women can no longer stay on welfare indefinitely due to the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act, the term continues to shape American dialogue on poverty.[3]"

PLUS:

Political scientist Franklin Gilliam has theorized that the welfare queen stereotype has its roots in both race and gender:
"While poor women of all races get blamed for their impoverished condition, African-American women commit the most egregious violations of American values. This story line taps into stereotypes about both women (uncontrolled sexuality) and African-Americans (laziness)."[3]
The media's image of poverty shifted from focusing on the plight of white Appalachian farmers and on the factory closings in the 1960s to focusing on a more racially divisive and negative image of poor blacks in urban areas. All this, according to political scientist Martin Gilens, led to the public dramatically overestimating the percentage of African-Americans in poverty.

Welfare queen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Actually, that's pretty common. The recipients are the kids though, but the moms are usually single and unwed. I'm not sure why your focus is on minorities though. Minorities are not the only people that can get food stamps.
So you're a believer in the "welfare queen" stereotype. Do you have ANY RELIABLE NUMBERS from any reliable, published study to support your "belief" that it is pretty common? What are the NUMBERS? Not, "pretty common." Numbers to prove it's quite common. Are you completely unaware that the Baby Boomers are AGING every day and moving into the category of elderly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies