Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Exactly. I've been saying that all along. I've made the point that even though most work, they do not earn enough money to provide for all the NECESSITIES of life, therefore, they qualify for food ASSISTANCE. "Necessities" means just that; shelter, food, clothing, and IMO personal hygiene products. A clean society is a safer society.
Nobody is taking food assistance away. This was a temporary increase that expired.

Quote:
If you take food assistance away, then people are going to have to do without a lot of basic foods, or live on the streets in order to buy food. I think it's hard to have a job without having an address. LOOK at the BIG picture.
Canada has no national food stamp program and they are doing just fine.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Exactly. I've been saying that all along. I've made the point that even though most work, they do not earn enough money to provide for all the NECESSITIES of life, therefore, they qualify for food ASSISTANCE. "Necessities" means just that; shelter, food, clothing, and IMO personal hygiene products. A clean society is a safer society. If you take food assistance away, then people are going to have to do without a lot of basic foods, or live on the streets in order to buy food. I think it's hard to have a job without having an address. LOOK at the BIG picture.
I agree. Put it in perspective-- Trillions of tax dollars went to Wall Street for what ever reason after they ran the world into the ground. Billions went to bonuses. The bailout of 2010, 93% went to the top 1%. Few if any laws have changed to avoid the same train wreck.
Snap in reality is so many pennies compared to those well to do that benefited greatly.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Not that I know of. However, are you suggesting that children only need to eat two meals a day five days a week when school is open? What about dinner? What about weekends?
Dinner is frequently served in after school programs, and schools are even open on Saturdays and during the summer to feed the kids.

This is just NYC as an example, but similar programs exist throughout the country.
NYC SchoolFood l Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Saturday, Summer Programs

Again, I ask, are the meals they get at school deducted from their food stamp benefits?

Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,705 times
The flaw in the argument of the left is that they take what a family is given and say "how can you live on that" when its not that at all. Its a supplement to what they would spend. If they get half what they need its like getting food at 50% off. I would die to buy food at that kind of discount. I am sick and tired of the fat asshats whining about it. Take your food stamps and S T H up.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
While they work "aggressively" to prevent and curtail fraud they refuse to release any monthly statistics.
They rely on the public to report fraud.

So it's anyone's guess as to how corrupt the SNAP program is.

I've seen one woman ahead of me use 2 different EBT cards to pay for her purchase and the cashier never even questioned her.
Why should the cashier question? She is a customer. Could have been someone else's card. That doesn't indicate fraud. I never see credit cards questioned. They just get you to slide and move on.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:32 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Most poor people are poor because they made stupid choices or simply decided to leech off the system and whine all day.
You mean like not being able to afford to go to college because education expenses have risen so drastically? Or simply not having good enough grades to go to a good college because they grew up in a single parent home and didn't have someone to push them to do homework? Or trying to take classes while working, but then getting scheduled work time during their class time despite arguing and fighting with managers to get that time off? Not being able to afford to move to a city with a higher cost of living where the better jobs are? Not having enough experience and education to get a better job, because even "Entry-level" jobs these days want 3-5 years of experience? Because the bulk of manufacturing jobs that people used to get out of high school no longer exist? Not working three jobs just so they can get 40 hours a week? Or maybe having a catastrophic failure point in the family somewhere that has landed them into poverty?

I'm really sick of this talking point because it glosses over so many social issues and simply passes them off as "laziness." For every one "story" of laziness, I can find a dozen where people are trying their best to make ends meet and doing everything possible to do so.

As someone who was born into poverty and only got out of it by extreme luck because I was at the right place at the right, I have two unprintable words for anyone who continues to use this talking point.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Why should the cashier question? She is a customer. Could have been someone else's card. That doesn't indicate fraud. I never see credit cards questioned. They just get you to slide and move on.
I totally understand that. It could have been her shopping for her mother or next door neighbor.
Point is the cashier never even questioned that she had two EBT cards.

Apathy runs deep in America.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Your grocery stores must sell food far, far cheaper than mine. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies too, and fresh produce, even here in Florida is not cheap. I'm not much of a meat eater, just chicken and fish occasionally. But I do eat eggs, milk, butter, cheese, etc. Who cooks for you? Does that person work outside the home as well as cooking all the meals?
LOL My wife does most the cooking and I do the cooking for my daughters favorite meals.
Cheaper? I don't know. But we cook a meal and always have leftovers which means a second meal for everyone or more.
You can make a big pot of chilimac for about 6 or 7 dollars. That is easily 2 meals for 4 people. These are just examples. Stuffed peppers. I don't like the green peppers so 4 peppers and a lot of stuffing. You can easily make enough for 4 people 2 meals each $10.
Chicken tenders and fries. I just bought some yesterday $5.99 for a big pack of tenders. The fries $3.00. My daughter and I are running solo. My wife is out of the area. I cooked half the tenders and 1/4 the fries. We had left overs and that is what I had for lunch. My point is 4 people can easily feed themselves on the snap allotment after the cut. The fact that some people waste their benefit on expensive foods or junk food is their problem. The tax payer should not be forced to facilitate their poor decision making.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:43 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
The flaw in the argument of the left is that they take what a family is given and say "how can you live on that" when its not that at all. Its a supplement to what they would spend. If they get half what they need its like getting food at 50% off. I would die to buy food at that kind of discount. I am sick and tired of the fat asshats whining about it. Take your food stamps and S T H up.
If you would "die" to buy food at a 50% discount, then why don't you just quit your job, or sell off your investments, and try to qualify for SNAP?

Next time you hit unhappy times, and YOU WILL because we all have challenging times in our lives, REMEMBER your attitude toward people who are so needy they qualify for SNAP.

You know, I'm sick and tired of greedy, selfish, nasty hard*** folks in this world who bend themselves into pretzels in order to justify their hateful attitudes.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 11-07-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 11:45 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
If you would "die" to buy food at a 50% discount, then why don't you just quite your job, or sell off your investments, and try to qualify for SNAP?

Next time you hit unhappy times, and YOU WILL because we all have challenging times in our lives, REMEMBER your attitude toward people who are so needy they qualify for SNAP.

You know, I'm sick and tired of greedy, selfish, nasty hard*** folks in this world who bend themselves into pretzels in order to justify their hateful attitudes.
The fact remains that $700.00 a month is a very reasonable food allotment for a family of 4. No matter how you try to spin it, many reasonable shoppers can and do feed themselves and their families on less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies