Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 11:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Not that I know of. However, are you suggesting that children only need to eat two meals a day five days a week when school is open? What about dinner? What about weekends?
The fact that many millions of food stamp recipients' kids must be given at least 2 meals a day at school shows a lot of fraud. These people aren't using the food stamps for their children. They feed their boyfriends, throw parties, sell the food stamps and the children go to school hungry,

Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I totally understand that. It could have been her shopping for her mother or next door neighbor.
Point is the cashier never even questioned that she had two EBT cards.

Apathy runs deep in America.
Seems to me that you may be the nosiest shopper I've ever heard about. Have you ever considered that what other people do is none of your business, especially in the grocery store? HOW could you have seen two EBT cards if you weren't straining to see what was happening. I have NEVER even noticed what type of card anyone in the grocery store ahead of me in line is using. And you even admit that the woman could have been shopping for her mother, some other relative, or a neighbor, etc. You don't know. And you don't know whether or not the cashier was familiar with that customer and already knew why she had two EBT cards. There are so many "I don't knows" to that story, I can't believe you continue to post it as support for your belief that most SNAP users CHEAT.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The fact that many millions of food stamp recipients' kids must be given at least 2 meals a day at school shows a lot of fraud. These people aren't using the food stamps for their children. They feed their boyfriends, throw parties, sell the food stamps and the children go to school hungry,
yada, yada, yada UNTIL you can provide some reliable evidence that what you're saying is true. Have you EVER met one single person who has "bought" a food stamp card from someone?

Btw, do you live next door to any of these SNAP recipients who throw big parties and provide all the food for the parties, or have you been visiting in their homes when they are feeding their boyfriends with food they bought on food stamps? Do you have one ounce of direct, personal knowledge regarding your broad brush allegations?

Old 11-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Again, I ask, are the meals they get at school deducted from their food stamp benefits?
I told you already, I don't know. Do you?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 PM

89,036 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
I told you already, I don't know.
So they're very likely double-dipping, getting 3 meals and a snack 6 days per week at school AND food stamp benefits for those same 6 days per week.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So they're very likely double-dipping, getting 3 meals and a snack 6 days per week at school AND food stamp benefits for those same 6 days per week.
I think the school lunch, etc., is a different program. I don't know what qualifies a kid to get those meals. Is there an application for the benefit? If so, maybe there's a question for the parents in re whether or not they get SNAP benefits. If a kid is not disqualified from getting the food because the parents receive food stamps, then they are not "double dipping".......they are receiving public assistance for which they qualify. My god. You actually resent the fact that kids may get food at school for free and yet their family makes so little money that they qualify for SNAP? Talk about cheap and selfish. This takes the cake.

"very likely" means nothing. You asked the question, it seems to be your concern, so do your own research and find out if they're "double dipping" then contact your elected officials and start lobbying to put an end to it.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The fact remains that $700.00 a month is a very reasonable food allotment for a family of 4. No matter how you try to spin it, many reasonable shoppers can and do feed themselves and their families on less.
The allotment for a family of 4 is $600 now, with a $36 decrease. Also, the amount of assistance they get is dependent upon how much income they have. I think the max amount for an individual with no income now is $164 if they are receiving the max allowed by their state. State allotments often differ from the max allowed by feds of $200 per person, depending upon the amount of income they receive. Of course, many SNAP recipients do have some income, so that $600 (now $564) number is misleading. They get less than the $564. As a single individual, who is NOT overweight, $50 per week for food would be really tight for me.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:40 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Seems to me that you may be the nosiest shopper I've ever heard about. Have you ever considered that what other people do is none of your business, especially in the grocery store? HOW could you have seen two EBT cards if you weren't straining to see what was happening. I have NEVER even noticed what type of card anyone in the grocery store ahead of me in line is using. And you even admit that the woman could have been shopping for her mother, some other relative, or a neighbor, etc. You don't know. And you don't know whether or not the cashier was familiar with that customer and already knew why she had two EBT cards. There are so many "I don't knows" to that story, I can't believe you continue to post it as support for your belief that most SNAP users CHEAT.
I don't KNOW that the stranger walking out of my neighbor's garage at 2:00 in the morning with his tools is a thief either. But I'm smart enough to be suspicious. I suppose in your world you'd just assume he had permission to borrow them and just found the middle of the night a handy time to do so.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 PM

89,036 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
I think the school lunch, etc., is a different program.
Of course it is, and that's the point. There's a lot of duplication of services, overlap, and even outright fraud in welfare/public assistance programs.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't KNOW that the stranger walking out of my neighbor's garage at 2:00 in the morning with his tools is a thief either. But I'm smart enough to be suspicious. I suppose in your world you'd just assume he had permission to borrow them and just found the middle of the night a handy time to do so.
I think that poster lives in a dream world where everyone is altruistic and honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies