Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times

Advertisements

Stop, while you are not too far behind. The employer mandate is redefining the full time job to 30 or more hours. See my earlier post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Then maybe I was not clear enough, when did hours below 40 become full time?

39.59.59 hours and below were always considered not full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:

The IRS made the ruling, under Obamacare, that 30 hours or more is full time now.

That was done last year..2012. Where have you been ?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You need to go do some reading on the Obamacare changes.
You were the one posting yesterday that the reduced hours under Obamacare was "good" because the workers could get subsidized premium money.
I understand that some employers are giving employees less than 40 hours "full time" in order not to comply with that provision of the law.

40 hours has been the accepted convention of what full time is. I've never worked a job where 40 hours was not used by the employer as what full time is.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
Quote:

ACA makes over 30 hrs required to be insurance covered by employers. So that makes it a incentive to lower employee hrs to under 30 so business doesnt need to incure the cost of insurance. I am sure you will twist this to be on the bad bad businesses. But their in biz to make money not lose money so if thier costs go up they either need to cut costs ( lower employee hrs) or raise income ( prices to customer). Tell me which you prefer.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The IRS made the ruling, under Obamacare, that 30 hours or more is full time now.

That was done last year..2012. Where have you been ?
If that is so...that ruling was just released last year...Sorry. I don't subscribe to the latest IRS news releases.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
If that is so...that ruling was just released last year...Sorry. I don't subscribe to the latest IRS news releases.
It was all over the MSM as companies reduced hours.

That was the reason for the flurry of reduced hours last November because the work hours had to be in place to avoid the employer "shared responsibility" payment.

Now they moved it one year so more employers are reducing hours to avoid mandated coverage/penalty.

30 is now the new "full time" status and there's more that goes with being a full time worker than just health insurance. Not every business can afford all their part time workers who worked 30-39 hours becoming full time. Becoming a full time worker is more than just getting health insurance.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
Quote:
It seams you are on c-d all the time. You must have missed one of the many threads over the past yr about 30 hrs is the new 40.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Obamacare will have far less impact in the large employer provided market than it has in the wild west individual one. The main reason is that employer packages in this market already comply with ACA standards. The main thing will be the "Cadillac" plan tax that comes into play in 2018. Plans that cost the employer more than about $27000 annually for family coverage will be taxed at up to 40%. Employers will scale back plans to avoid this tax, of course, except perhaps for the most valued employees. On the other hand, how many people have insurance plans that cost that much? The most expensive family plan in my state on ACA would be less than that. Still, it will affect a relative handful and the Republican minority will be howling and accusing President Clinton of lying and hurting the public.

Then again, if the Dems can win big enough in 2016. maybe we will have single payer, or at least insurance through non-profits instead of for-profits, by then. Wouldn't that be nice?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
ACA makes over 30 hrs required to be insurance covered by employers. So that makes it a incentive to lower employee hrs to under 30 so business doesnt need to incure the cost of insurance. I am sure you will twist this to be on the bad bad businesses. But their in biz to make money not lose money so if thier costs go up they either need to cut costs ( lower employee hrs) or raise income ( prices to customer). Tell me which you prefer.
I've worked for family businesses, and had some failed small ventures of my own, so I'm far from anti business. But I don't accept your premiss that there is only the two choices you gave businesses.

First, I would have not have lumped all businesses into the same pile.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of 4 or 5 things that are not strictly an one or the other choice.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Why are Republicans so intend on having insurance companies keep high profit junk policies? Over the last few weeks we have found ample evidence that people are sadly unaware what is in their health plan and thus asking whether they like it is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies