Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actualky it seems to me that you are. Women can't work to keep their children from starving? No, this isn't the 50s. Women can work to support their children and many do. Having children is no excuse to lay around on government handouts.
I don't see you mentioning anything about absent fathers being made to pay child support to help keep their children from starving, or do they get a free pass and the load is on the mother?

You seem to think there is a robust job market out there where women can just jump in and can pick and choose a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 03:57 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Hm, well, there was the one that I lived next to when I was a kid...

There aren't too many trailer parks in Mass, nor were there in the Bay or LA areas; however, there were housing projects - I lived in a couple of those, too, when I was younger, and yes, I drive through a couple of them on a very regular basis... I also still have a couple high school/junior high friends who live in them.

Does that count?

... and how many brand new highline cars and well-kept lawns do you pass by? How many people are sitting on their porches in a beach lounger, tapping away on an iPad?

Be honest, now.

First off, the election is over... second off, if I was living in poverty, why would I support a guy who openly stated he didn't care about me, either?

There's nothing "well fed" about sucking down a bottle of high fructose corn syrup, yellow 5 and caffiene and having an enlarged heart with high blood pressure.

It'd be great if schools had enough money to feed kids real food from wholesome ingredients, but no, conservatives love defunding schools because they're "wasteful."

Of course I do; everyone does

Mine are just probably much more firmly grounded in reality than most Republican and Tea Partiers' are.
My point is, the people in trailer parks have food through WIC, food stamps, free breakfast and lunch at schools...you are right that many make poor choices with what food they have.

iPad's check!

well kept lawns, not where I live.

Obama supporters in 2008 and 2012 yes.

P.S. both parties are equally grounded in reality or a lack of it.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:36 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
How about that? I've long wondered why I am fiscally responsible and only have as many kids as I can afford, while some ******* down the road breeds with wild abandon while clearly relying on my money to support his kids.
That dovetails in nicely with the other thread about the woman with 3 kids who think the people who work for a living are stupid.
This woman wants to know, "why work?"

Some people, not you Fuselage, have no problem living at poverty level as long as they don't have to get off their a** and work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Sweden has one of the lowest child poverty rates and "the state provides maintenance allowances for children (in the event the father does not pay support), and housing allowances. About two-thirds of single mothers in Sweden, for example, receive housing allowances."

USATODAY.com - Nordic family ties don't mean tying the knot
Sweden is not the US. The Swedes don't have the idea that people who work are stupid and they're entitled to laze around all day.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Last I looked - and I have worked with voter lists for many years - most trailer parks have abysmal voter registration, let alone turnout.
I believe it. I worked with low-income families when I was a public health nurse, and most were very unaware, politically.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:08 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...Only Romania Is Worse

Which policies are being utilized to address this?

Cutting Head Start?
Cutting Food Stamp benefits?
Cutting education and keeping college costs high?
Not raising the minimum wage?
Refusing to raise taxes on the wealthy?
Making abortion/birth control less accessible?
Continuing corporate welfare including the military industrial complex?
Not passing a Jobs Bill?

Really, which policies are focused on remedying this embarrassing and shameful statistic?
Why not just say "the republicans are to blame" and stop being coy.

But since you asked the question, I will give you the answer ... you won't like it, I'm sure of that.

Many contributing factors to this deplorable situation ... not just one or two.

First is the gross imbalance in wealth distribution, which is at an all time high, as the gap between the haves and have nots has never been wider. You'll likely agree with me on this point, but not on how it happened. This simple truth is BIG money makes policy ... no matter who holds the reins of power in Washington DC. This blame the republicans, blame the democrats game misses the reality that both sides serve those monied interests, not the people. Once you break out of this "partisan political paradigm" that has trapped the mindless masses, you might be able to see the truth for yourself. Every policy, every program that comes out of that den of vipers, regardless of who promote it or who opposes it, none will EVER benefit the common people, but will only serve those monied interests. Poor people have been kept poor by these policies, and the middle class have been slowly made poor by them. You might notice that having 50 million on food stamps is a bit like dead canaries in a coal mine.

This is a reality that the liberal statist who believe government is the answer to our problems, rather than the source of them, refuses to consider, which plays right into their hands. As poverty increases, another great program to assist the poor only makes the problem grow worse, because, again, the wealthy decide policy, so don't expect them to actually pay out of their pockets for these do-good acts of kindness and compassion. The middle class is saddled with the bill. That slowly has destroyed the middle class. Worse yet, every dollar collected to help the poor further enriches the wealthy more than it helps those to whom were supposed to benefit. And that is no accident ... as we're right back to the point about who really decides policy, and creates the legislation ... hint-reminder ... it ain't poor people lining the pockets of these politicos.

Truthfully, no one should be so clueless as to not have picked up on this rather transparent scheme and the Orwellian code it uses over and over. Whatever problem a new law or program is supposed to solve, history shows that the results are almost guaranteed to be the opposite.

This is the simple explanation for why things have only gotten worse, not better, and why more government programs WILL NEVER FIX THE PROBLEM.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I don't see you mentioning anything about absent fathers being made to pay child support to help keep their children from starving, or do they get a free pass and the load is on the mother?

You seem to think there is a robust job market out there where women can just jump in and can pick and choose a job.
Of course the fathers should ALSO support the children they sire. But not ONLY the fathers. Why would a mother just want to lay around and watch her children go without? Lots of women work to provide for their children.

This isn't the 50's when women were considered helpless and dependent. Today they can work and earn incomes.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course the fathers should ALSO support the children they sire. But not ONLY the fathers. Why would a mother just want to lay around and watch her children go without? Lots of women work to provide for their children.

This isn't the 50's when women were considered helpless and dependent. Today they can work and earn incomes.
Nor is it the 50s when people referred to children born without the benefit of the parents being married "illegitimate".

And many of women do just that - work and earn an income. Yeah, times have changed. If there are no jobs, what do you suggest many of these women do? Would you rather they sell their bodies as a means of income?? Deal drugs??? Many of the jobs that they could do, the salary wouldn't cover the cost of childcare. Many of the women don't have family that they can turn to for help. You are making a blanket statement about women who are raising children and don't work when there are many different circumstances/reasons and there is no one size fits all solution.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Really, which policies are focused on remedying this embarrassing and shameful statistic?
Get government out of the welfare business. Private charity can handle this problem.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Get government out of the welfare business. Private charity can handle this problem.
It never did before. Why do you think "welfare" as we know it started in the depression?

Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Really are you going to get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, SS and cut VA for only the really needy? Sounds like you would be cutting off your base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies