Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:24 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
However, do you deny that Christ and the Apostles existed?
There was charismatic man who claimed to be the Messiah and had devoted followers who continued his work. Like any hero the stories of his life and exploits grow larger and get exaggerated and enhanced over time. Is the George Washington "I cannot tell a lie" cherry tree story true?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Maybe under "Classics"?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:26 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Congratulations to Costco for labelling the Bible as fiction... and then not taking any guff from complainers. Talking snakes only exist in cartoons. Let the War on Christians boycotts begin. Never mind that they are one of the few retailers paying a living wage and are closed this Thanksgiving.

“People are pretty shocked and upset,” he told me. “We are supposed to be living in an era of tolerance, but what Costco did doesn’t seem too tolerant.” I called Costco headquarters in Issaquah, Wash. hoping to get answers. The nice lady who answered the phone told me she was aware of the issue and chalked it up to a “human error at a warehouse.”
“It’s all fixed,” she said.
But actually, it’s not fixed – because there’s a boatload of Bibles in the Simi Valley store still marked as fiction.
At that point, the nice lady on the phone became not-so-nice and promptly informed me that Costco doesn’t talk to the press.
“Nothing to report,” she said curtly.

https://www.facebook.com/Costco (the comments are entertaining)
Costco -- the Bible is fiction | Fox News
Your faith in your beliefs seems to be pretty strong. So what is the difference between you and a Muslim or a Christian?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM

Why do "atheists" remind me so much of country preachers? They seem to spew the same rhetoric and they want everyone in the room to know EXACTLY what they believe/not believe in?

I bet most of them would have been preachers in another life. LOOK AT ME, I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD. I"M SPECIAL.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:30 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Maybe under "Classics"?
Coscto doesn't have large book section so there are limits to categorization - which is mainly for the benefit of stocking clerks. I have 4 Bibles - none of which have gaudy covers or were bought at a warehouse store.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why do "atheists" remind me so much of country preachers? They seem to spew the same rhetoric and they want everyone in the room to know EXACTLY what they believe/not believe in?

I bet most of them would have been preachers in another life. LOOK AT ME, I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD. I"M SPECIAL.
You should present empirical facts to refute Atheists...after all, they aren't the ones claiming the existence of something, and we're more than willing to present logical arguments in defense of our beliefs.

The other side? Not so much. Hell, usually, not at all.

The frustrations that God believers have with Atheists has little to do with the militancy of atheists and EVERYTHING to do with being angry that we see right through the hypocrisy, lies, fallacies, and misdeeds and our ability to blunt religious teachings with actual facts.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You should present empirical facts to refute Atheists...after all, they aren't the ones claiming the existence of something, and we're more than willing to present logical arguments in defense of our beliefs.

The frustrations that God believers have with Atheists has little to do with the militancy of atheists and EVERYTHING to do with being angry that we see right through the hypocrisy, lies, fallacies, and misdeeds and our ability to blunt religious teachings with actual facts.
I'll side with the atheists over the evangelicals any day of the week. But some atheists definitely carry a smug certainty about their beliefs, when atheism is a form of faith too. Moreover, you can't prove a negative.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

If you can't feel it when you walk into church like I do? How is that my fault and how does that make what I feel and I know is true to be false?

No one can understand the mind of God or the method or creation. It says it right in the bible, it's beyond comprehension because we are not ready for that yet.

8 billion Earth like planets in the Milky Way galaxy alone. Estimated 500 Billion galaxies in the Universe.

And you say there is no God or creator. All this happened by accident. Ok.....

Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I'll side with the atheists over the evangelicals any day of the week. But some atheists definitely carry a smug certainty about their beliefs, when atheism is a form of faith too. Moreover, you can't prove a negative.
Prove a negative? I'm not the one postulating the existence of something.

You mean that I can tell you that I own a Bugatti despite being middle class and it's up to YOU to prove that I DON'T have one? That's nonsense. You can't say that probability shouldn't play a role when someone postulates something as fantastic as a supernatural belief in something and demands that we respect it.

Come on...be real.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

8 billion Earth like planets in the Milky Way galaxy alone. Estimated 500 Billion galaxies in the Universe.

And you say there is no God or creator. All this happened by accident. Ok.....
That's right; it did NOT happen by accident. Believe it or not, there is research into how planets and galaxies are formed. We have a pretty good idea how it happens. Read up on cosmology and astronomy if you want to know more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies