Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:46 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The plan is to arrest all the peasants for some petty law they make as a catch all, so they no longer can "legally" possess a firearm of any kind.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someone is going to get killed defending their freedom..... Or trying to take an others.
Yeah, and fly them in black helicopters to FEMA camps to be the slaves of the shape shifting lizard people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Advocating others to break existing federal and state law in a public forum is probably not the smartest thread ever started.
But then, what do I know?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Let them tear through your house and not find a single thing, at least until the smoke clears.

I predict a lot of tragic boating accidents...

California Department of Justice agents sweep Fresno, Clovis for illegal guns | Crime | FresnoBee.com
Huh?

The people having thier guns taken are ones that have had due process and convicted of a felony or have been deemed mentally unstable etc. via legal proceedings.

No responsible gun owner wants those people to retain their firearms.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:55 AM

793 posts, read 1,420,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Huh?

The people having thier guns taken are ones that have had due process and convicted of a felony or have been deemed mentally unstable etc. via legal proceedings.

No responsible gun owner wants those people to retain their firearms.
Just playing devil's advocate here. If they are deemed safe to live with the population, why can't they have firearms? They can have alcohol, cars, knives, whatever.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The plan is to arrest all the peasants for some petty law they make as a catch all, so they no longer can "legally" possess a firearm of any kind.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someone is going to get killed defending their freedom..... Or trying to take an others.
Applying that same argument to speed limits.....

Oh sure they have 70mph on the interstate but not today, not tomorrow but evenutally they will just keep lowering it until it reaches 0 and nobody will allowed to have cars.

I hope you can recognize how absurd those slippery slope arguments are.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 AM

793 posts, read 1,420,174 times
Quote:
Applying that same argument to speed limits.....

Oh sure they have 70mph on the interstate but not today, not tomorrow but evenutally they will just keep lowering it until it reaches 0 and nobody will allowed to have cars.

I hope you can recognize how absurd those slippery slope arguments are.
I don't know about slippery slopes, but it's a case of taking the beach inch by inch.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here. If they are deemed safe to live with the population, why can't they have firearms? They can have alcohol, cars, knives, whatever.
I can only assume you are talking specifically about convicted felons because the mentally ill losing their guns are NOT deemed safe.

There are any number of rights one can lose in the wake of a felony.

Loss of rights due to felony conviction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a pretty big topic and it varies by state. I personally think it should depend on the type of felony and I suspect it does in many states.

No doubt it is linked to the high degree of recidivism with certain felon groups and the obvious point that guns are not as critical to functioning like car ownership etc.

P.S. Some terms of parole involve drug and alchohol monitoring.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I don't know about slippery slopes, but it's a case of taking the beach inch by inch.
How long have these laws been in effect?
I did a little searching and found something referring to the 1960's.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:22 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times
Quote:
These laws have been on the books for quite a long time, and they haven't really moved to take away guns from everyone. Just like claims that some gun control automatically leads to an evil dictatorship that does all sorts of horrors...as we haven't seen in the UK or Canada since they implimented stricker gun regulations.

Slipperly slopes, which the beach is (i.e. small change tolerance), only have any legitimate possibility where the next logical stop can be shown to happen. So far we have 50 years of history where gun control has not lead to these horrors, and certainly not people being led into camps by black helicopters as another poster suggested.

So far the only historical contex where gun control is has any connections with evil dictatorships is Nazi Germany banning Jews and other undesirables from owning guns. Everyone else in the country Hitler relaxed gun control for.

Hitler also used the police to oppress Jews, should we get rid of police officers?
Hilter put Jews in planned ghettos, should we get rid of urban planning and architects?
Hilter used ovens to dispose of corpse of undesirables, should we ban ovens?
Hitler was a dog lover, should we ban people from owning dogs?

It becomes a really silly Godwin's law.

Even in the 1940's the red army lost 7 million men fighting the Nazi war machine...do you really think a bunch of civilians with pistols and hunting rifles could have really stood a chance?

Old 11-21-2013, 11:46 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
I can only assume you are talking specifically about convicted felons because the mentally ill losing their guns are NOT deemed safe.

There are any number of rights one can lose in the wake of a felony.

Loss of rights due to felony conviction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a pretty big topic and it varies by state. I personally think it should depend on the type of felony and I suspect it does in many states.

No doubt it is linked to the high degree of recidivism with certain felon groups and the obvious point that guns are not as critical to functioning like car ownership etc.

P.S. Some terms of parole involve drug and alchohol monitoring.
If they are mentally unstable, why have they been released from prison?

Once you are released from prison and no longer on parole, your rights should be restored or else you should remain locked up until deemed fit to re-enter society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies