Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 04:03 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,557,336 times

Advertisements

i know lots of people fired and hired back. this speaks volumns about employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 04:10 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,015,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What a crock. If you don't want to work at a job when the schedule calls for it then quit or get fired. I wouldn't have hired him back.

For five years straight most of my Landscape employees wanted to work on Thanksgiving during the construction boom. They had a choice either work Thanksgiving or the Friday after. I let the majority make the decision for the group. Every year but one they worked on Thanksgiving and I paid them time and a half.
Key words: Thurday or Friday(you got an day off in exchange) and paid time and a half(you got extra compensation for working that day.)

In a world of part time service jobs it could be no overtime and no time off another day to boot!

Old 11-29-2013, 06:04 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,260,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Who's up for some pizza?
I had pizza today at Joe Mamma's in downtown Tulsa.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,970,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I'd say they should have stayed closed, but if the owner chose to open then the manager had an obligation to work. I have worked on Thanksgiving Day. It's not fun but it's not the end of the world either.
Let me ask you:
Would you see family who you maybe see once every year and wouldn't see them otherwise?
Did you do it willingly (as in on a volunteer basis?)
Did you still have a meal with family?

Quote:
People planned better.

If you knew the gas stations were closed you got gas the day before.
If you knew restaurants weren't open, and you were traveling, you packed a lunch.
I've traveled twice on Thanksgiving Day. Both early in the morning and I stopped at gas stations both times and they were opened. Why because the roads don't close for Christmas, Thanksgiving and others. Besides expected travel, there is unexpected travel that comes at the urging of family or friends. You can't exactly plan someone getting caught up in an accident on the way to a family get together so gas stations would be essential.

I actually found a story about this in a post about a month ago about working Thanksgiving. It's somewhere on C-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What a crock. If you don't want to work at a job when the schedule calls for it then quit or get fired. I wouldn't have hired him back.

For five years straight most of my Landscape employees wanted to work on Thanksgiving during the construction boom. They had a choice either work Thanksgiving or the Friday after. I let the majority make the decision for the group. Every year but one they worked on Thanksgiving and I paid them time and a half.
But here's the issue, Thanksgiving is a lot different than say missing a Sunday of football or hockey game. It is a lot different knowing that you have to cancel on visiting grandmother and grandfather (when you only see them once a year (and depending on age and sicknesses it could be the last time you see them.))

Quote:
The local groceries by all reports were jammed today (I had to go to one and it was busier than usual, Sunday busy). The local McDonald's was open and full as was Subway. The one real restaurant open had about a half hour wait for a table. This was around 1 or so this afternoon.
There are some people who don't spend Thanksgiving with their family for whatever reason or they still wish to eat out. I wouldn't say they are in the majority who spend Thanksgiving with their family and do not cook or go to a family member's house.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:01 PM

45,570 posts, read 60,845,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

I've traveled twice on Thanksgiving Day. Both early in the morning and I stopped at gas stations both times and they were opened. Why because the roads don't close for Christmas, Thanksgiving and others. Besides expected travel, there is unexpected travel that comes at the urging of family or friends. You can't exactly plan someone getting caught up in an accident on the way to a family get together so gas stations would be essential...............
You responded to my post where I said something on the order that people planned better when they knew services weren't going to be open.

Your having traveled recently and found open gas stations is irrelevant when the original question, and answer, was aimed at circumstances multiple decades ago.

I've traveled on Thanksgiving within the last 15 years or so and found gas stations, on a major route, not open. As this thread has demonstrated very well, times have changed. Whether for better or worse is open for discussion.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,970,614 times
Quote:
You responded to my post where I said something on the order that people planned better when they knew services weren't going to be open.

Your having traveled recently and found open gas stations is irrelevant when the original question, and answer, was aimed at circumstances multiple decades ago.

I've traveled on Thanksgiving within the last 15 years or so and found gas stations, on a major route, not open. As this thread has demonstrated very well, times have changed. Whether for better or worse is open for discussion.
One was 19 years ago, we stopped at the New York State thruway exit with the Bob's Big Boy buffet for breakfast. I rest assure the gas station by it was also open that day (though I don't remember if it was used by my family.) Now would the gas stations off the thruway be open, that's another story altogether.
I also boarded a train to and from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1997 (16 years ago now.)

Old 11-29-2013, 09:16 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,899,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
It was the local owner that did this, not the corporation.
And corporate HQ said the vast majority of Pizza Huts in the US are closed on Thanksgiving.
Indeed they are!!!!!

I THOUGHT ALL RESTAURANTS WERE!!!!!!!!!!

I do think he should get his job back!!

Old 11-29-2013, 10:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,534,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You be sure to tell that to the 'low worker' person answering the phone when you call your TV provider because your service goes out in the middle of the parade or football game.
Tell him he should hang up and go home and you'll wait until tomorrow.

Or the power company repair people when your power goes out and your turkey is half cooked.
Or to the pilots along with all other flight crew that fly you home on thanksgiving.

Flying on thanksgiving is not life threatening.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:45 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,282,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Couldn't agree more. We are to obsessed with money, it is called greed.
It's called paying the bills.

Thanksgiving is the 3rd busiest day (outside of NYE and Christmas Eve) for MY business. Damn straight we're open.

We don't demand any employee show up. They're college kids and they volunteer because they don't want to sit home and deal with the old folks or their obnoxious younger cousins. NEVER had an issue finding willing and available employees. They do get paid time & 1/2, there's a little incentive. Plus, if they had an early turkey meal, they've got lots of clientele bringing food all day long for them to snack on. And lots of ethnic foods that you can't beat.

And given the fact that we don't celebrate on "the day", because we're too busy, we celebrate the Sunday after, takes a load of stress off.

Every day is Thanksgiving. It's not about the scheduled day, it's about the celebration, and that can be any day of any week in any month if you want to call it "Thanksgiving".

What really makes me laugh is that way too many of the "close it down on turkey day" folks are the same who hate the fact that white EU's stole the US from the natives, and tend to err on the side of "there is no "American" culture. Unless it's paid holiday off from work and for them, I guess.

Why celebrate what you hate, and try to make others celebrate along with you and in the way YOU choose to?

Last edited by Informed Info; 11-29-2013 at 11:01 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 10:50 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,987,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah forget about the true hero, ownership. You know, the ones who risk their own money in the marketplace and create the jobs?
Didn't take long for the "job creator" butt kissing to start. Not even halfway down the first page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies