Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol who tells you that?

I can't tune into a news station without seeing reports about how much of a failure obamacare has been so far.
The talking heads that made the rounds on the Sunday morning propaganda speakeasies.....I want to say the guy's name was Plouffe.....stepped in when Axelrod went back to Chicago..........but I really meant to say,

"Obamacare website is working."

To me, it's all the same, anything related to this fiasco is a trainwreck and no matter how many times they say its fixed or working.

In the spirit of fairness, I do enjoy the ability to carry my 20 year old until he is 26, for my peace of mind. But I also spend 5x in his premium than what he uses during the year.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:22 AM

462 posts, read 720,941 times
Anything coming from NASA in regards to life in the solar system seems a little fishy. How can you trust a singular bottleneck of information where few have the resources to verify or re-produce the results they "discover"? This is the same government that has files full of blacked-out memos, calls metallic crashes "weather balloons" and calls the well documented sightings of large triangular crafts over Phoenix "flares". Maybe they will be forced to disclose more info as space travel becomes more privatized and internationalized. Still, few will have the funds to travel to the outer reaches of the system, like Neptune or Pluto, barring an exponential leap in propulsion technology.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You win the prize. Does anybody really believe such a stupid statement?
Of course. The republicans

Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM

167 posts, read 164,251 times
I don't buy into this whole "The Earth revolves around the Sun" deal. That's complete hogwash.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
My TPS Report must contain a cover sheet

Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,392,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
...it should be understood that the Bill of Rights is not a complete list of the rights enjoyed by the people that must be respected...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
The mere existence of the BOR counteracts your claim.
I'm sure you meant "contradicts" and your history is as bad as your vocabulary. The Bill of Rights came into existence through Federalists making good on a pledge to respect demands of the anti-Federalists that one was needed. The Federalists were confident that the Constitutiton contained no power that could reach any actual right of the people, but the anti-Federalists feared that in the future, some demagogue might be able to twist the words of the Constitution ao as to abridge rights. The Federalists complained that there could be no complete listing of rights, and that by making one, the rights not included in it would be left open to disparagement by those same sorts of demagogues. That's why the 9th Amemdment was included. You remember that, don;t you --

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

What do you suppose they meant by "others"?

PS. The principal debate between Hamilton and Jefferson was an urban-rural one -- whether manufacturing or agriculture was the noble cause toward which the union should lean. Jefferson lost.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,392,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
...just as the Constitution proper is not a complete list of the powers vested in the federal government that must be respected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Says those who prefer to err on the side of government power at the expense of personal liberty. I think Benjamin Franklin had something to say about that...
Dude, there has never been a time in the history of this country when it has been necessary for a power of the federal government to be explicitly listed in the Constitution. It isn't true today and it never has been. The notions of history that Freedom & Liberty whackos have seem all to be total illusions. This one certainly is.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
In our house, the CF bulbs seem to wear out just as fast as the incandescent bulbs. We do turn the lights on and off every time we leave a room.

We have a mix of CF and incandescent in the kitchen operated by the same switch, so it seems to be as scientific of an observation as I could make. Taking the used CF bulbs to the recycling center so the mercury doesn't end up in the landfill is annoying.
Such a scam. I couldn't wait to get rid of them. And the mercury deal is scaaary.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
that they had to stop making regular light bulbs,,, ?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
Yeah, isn't the 2014 deadline cancelled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies