Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:23 PM

21,519 posts, read 10,644,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I think that if you read the responses to this posted by the far right you will understand why I have come to the conclusion that Republican does not mean what it once did. That is really rather tragic because our country is stronger when we have two reasonable parties with differing viewpoints that are willing to work through their differences to come to the point most likely to make our country better.

Do I always agree with the Democrats? Not on your life. But, at this point in time, the Democrats at least appear to understand that a government that serves all the people rather than a government that serves no purpose except to be against everything that could help the people is better. I can remember a time when a group of people who hated our country, hated our government, and wanted to "drown it in the bathtub" would be called traitors.
All that lovely agreement between parties got us is a huge expansive government that's allowed to spy on our every communication, and jail U.S. citizens without benefit of trial, and even assassinate them if we deem them enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,530,027 times
Yes, it's made me more conservative.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:04 AM

33,601 posts, read 18,249,377 times
I usually vote for the party that is fairly moderate. Someone who when they speak one cannot tell what party they were from.

I thought JFK was a good and strong president. I liked Ross Perot and voted for him because he was a good American.

Now I see our country in deep debt and spending is out of control. Issues of the left such as gay marriage and birth control and supposedly supporting woman , yet I saw how the democrats went after Sarah Palin in such a vicious way. I also believe that since we have a black president , the left plays the race card constantly.

I believe in God and at one time this was good. Now today it is bad to many. Times have changed. It is worse than ever. Race relations feel like it has gotten worse. We have black men punching anyone for a thrill of trying to knock them out. We have radical entertainment pushing all boundaries . Miley Syrus comes to mind. Taking the Lord's name in vain with OMG is becoming a staple in conversation.

Society is becoming more profane instead of more civilized with our freedoms. Lack of self respect is common . Can't find anything that is refined today.

Today the word moderate is dead. We have a president that constantly wages war on anything causing division instead of peace. Come , let us reason together .. has been forgotten.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:09 AM

26,664 posts, read 15,215,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Ummmm... what makes you think ANY of this would be done?

Obama never intended to keep ANY promises, they were just rhetoric to keep the suckers rowing for him. He has never shown ANY evidence that he feels any obligation to be responsible, honest, or anything else. Even if by some miracle these things went through Congress, he'd still veto.

This isn't a matter of convincing someone with a conscience to keep their word. This is a matter of an entirely gullible mass of people who cannot and refuse to admit they are being manipulated by someone who doesn't give a rat's behind about them.
Obama wanted to get elected and then reelected. Every president also wants a good legacy.

He couldn't have any of those 3 things by breaking promises and lying -- if his supporters chose to hold him accountable.

Since Obama knew from the start that not only would his supporters not hold him accountable, they would attack anyone that tried to hold him accountable -- it was easier for Obama to stray and know that he could still get reelected and leave a good legacy...although I think the legacy is highly tarnished as some people wake up in his 2nd term.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:20 AM

26,664 posts, read 15,215,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
His promises were completely bogus from the very beginning.
His desire to win in 2008, 2012, and leave a good legacy were not bogus.

Imagine if Obama supporters had integrity and stood for principle not a politician. They could have taken away all 3 of those -- forcing a great 1st term that didn't look like Bush III.

Quote:
Tell me, how can a President force Congress to post bills after they are passed and 5 days before they are signed into law when they are two completely separate branches of government? Once passed by Congress laws automatically go into effect after 10 calendar days (excluding Sundays) while Congress is in session, whether the President signs the law or not.

This is a classic example of a low-information voter promise. Only those too stupid to comprehend how their own government functions could believe such a promise.
Are you serious? You proved your point invalid.

The promise was that Obama would post the bills online for 5 days before he signed them into law. As you point out, after congress passes a bill, the president has 10 calendar days (not including Sundays) to either sign the bill, veto it, or let it take effect without his signature...plenty of time for Obama to post it online for 5 days of public discussion.

Obama broke this promise on his very 1st bill -- showing that he never intended to keep this promise anyways...his supporters didn't care. With far too many democrats we see Obama > Principle

Quote:
Obama never intended to keep any of his promises. No politicians ever do. Obama, like every other politician, makes promises that are impossible for them to keep, and the majority of low-information voters by into it hook, line, and sinker. This is what happens when you remove Civics from the public education curriculum. Democrats could not function in a civically literate society. Their only hope of achieving their Marxist goals and destroying the nation is to keep Americans as stupid as possible. And it is working like a charm for them.

Well your rant against Democrats is a bit off, as both parties do this to some extent, just never even half as bad as with Obama supporters in my lifetime.

If Obama supporters had integrity and principles...they could have forced Obama into action or denied him 2008, 2012, and his legacy...(his legacy is tarnished through his constant lying, not knowing, and Bush III policies anyways now)

Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,178,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Just curious.

We post all of these links constantly to either incite argument or prove a point. So...my question is as follows.....Has this forum or a thread on this forum ever changed your political opinion as a whole or on a particular issue?
No, if anything it has made me more liberal. This forum has shown me how absolutely insane the right wing is though. The cons that come on here are beyond delusional.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,743,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
So I will no longer vote for any Republican because it is simply giving more power to those who hate our government.
If you go back to 2005 Republicans were saying Democrats hate our nation. Now it is reversed.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,985,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
All that lovely agreement between parties got us is a huge expansive government that's allowed to spy on our every communication, and jail U.S. citizens without benefit of trial, and even assassinate them if we deem them enemies.
Great point.

Everyone blabs on about "compromise" and "moderation," but those things are exactly what put us in the fiscal hole we find ourselves in.

The ONLY people serious about addressing the deficit and the national debt are the Tea Party. It is immoral to put future generations in the position we've put them in. Conclusion: "compromisers" and "moderates" who aren't serious about the debt (and they aren't) are immoral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CMy2...yer_detailpage

Old 12-03-2013, 08:11 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,024,512 times
Well, I can say that the only thing it has solidfied is my further disdain for the 2 main parties.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,705,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Just curious.

We post all of these links constantly to either incite argument or prove a point. So...my question is as follows.....Has this forum or a thread on this forum ever changed your political opinion as a whole or on a particular issue?
Some of these discussions have offered me enlightenment on different sides of issues, which provided a better understanding for the arguments people are making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies