Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,393,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I joined City-data a liberal. After the thousands of posts I have read on here I am now even more liberal.

That being said I have had some read some enlightening discussions on here from both parties.
My experience has been the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,992,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Obama broke his promise on campaign financing that he had previously claimed was dear to his heart (thus proving the whole Hope and Change was BS from the start). If at that moment his supporters pressured him, urged him, and even protested him to go back to his promise...we would have less money in politics less corporate interest in politics. He would have been forced to give in. His supporters refused to fault him. McCain was willing to go along with Obama's promise as he realized that Obama would severely out raise him if Obama broke his promise.

Obama broke so many promises, lied, and harshly criticized Bush on so many issues and then out Bushed Bush on the vast majority of those.

His promises were so great...if only his supporters had integrity we could have:

-cut waste from the budget

-reduced earmarks back to 1994 levels by veto if necessary

-done away with the patriot act

-ended no bid contracts above $25K

-had no lobbyists in the WH

-ended special access for big donors

-reduced our overseas presence instead of increasing our foreign military bases

-reduced drones

-posted all bills online for 5 days before they are signed into law

-stopped signing statements

-been transparent

-forced public debates for healthcare instead of ramming it through

etc...

He could have been pressured in to fulfilling his campaign promises if his supporters wanted him to be accountable.
Ummmm... what makes you think ANY of this would be done?

Obama never intended to keep ANY promises, they were just rhetoric to keep the suckers rowing for him. He has never shown ANY evidence that he feels any obligation to be responsible, honest, or anything else. Even if by some miracle these things went through Congress, he'd still veto.

This isn't a matter of convincing someone with a conscience to keep their word. This is a matter of an entirely gullible mass of people who cannot and refuse to admit they are being manipulated by someone who doesn't give a rat's behind about them.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,479,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
In a crazy sort of way it actually has changed the way I vote. When I first started participating on this forum I was strictly an Independent voter. I had voted for both Democrats and Republicans and my vote was dependent on the person, not the party. After reading the many, many messages on this board that I consider hateful, ignorant, and sometimes downright nuts, I came to the realization that this country has taken a sharp turn into party first instead of country first. Over the years on here...and in the country...it has grown progressively worse. I have come to realize that the days of honorable men and women putting their country before their party when they make decisions are in the past. I also have come to realize that the type of Republicans that raised me are also a thing of the past and the Republican party has been overtaken by the haters who will destroy our country out of their own fear and anger. So I will no longer vote for any Republican because it is simply giving more power to those who hate our government.
Whenever there's a thread like this, one of these people pops up. There's always someone who says they used to be Republican but now they won't be Republican anymore because they realize how hateful Republicans are.

They're just the forum equivalent of the liberals who take racist signs to a conservative gathering to make the conservatives seem bad.

The problem is that they always use hate as their reason. Always. So they're never convincing. In order to be convincing when pretending to be a reformed member of a group, you first have to have a true command of that group's views. You have to be able to intelligently represent them if you want to be believable as someone who used to be one of the group. But the only people who think the Republicans are all about racism and hate are liberals.

I've seen authentic reformed conservatives before, and what they talk about is economics. Not racism or hate. You can spot a fake reformed conservative every time because they always talk about hate.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,133,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Whenever there's a thread like this, one of these people pops up. There's always someone who says they used to be Republican but now they won't be Republican anymore because they realize how hateful Republicans are.

They're just the forum equivalent of the liberals who take racist signs to a conservative gathering to make the conservatives seem bad.

The problem is that they always use hate as their reason. Always. So they're never convincing. In order to be convincing when pretending to be a reformed member of a group, you first have to have a true command of that group's views. You have to be able to intelligently represent them if you want to be believable as someone who used to be one of the group. But the only people who think the Republicans are all about racism and hate are liberals.

I've seen authentic reformed conservatives before, and what they talk about is economics. Not racism or hate. You can spot a fake reformed conservative every time because they always talk about hate.
And I can always spot someone who either did not read a post or else lacks reading comprehension. I NEVER claimed to have been a Republican. I NEVER claimed to have been a conservative...reformed or otherwise. I STATED the FACT that I had always been an INDEPENDENT who had voted for both Republican and Democrat in the past based upon the person....not the party. I was able to do that because...in the past....there were people on both sides of the aisle that voted for the good of the country, not for the party...for the country. It was people working together on both sides of the aisle that saw us build interstate highways, pass clean air and water acts, pass civil rights laws, put a man on the moon, build a wonderful educational system, establish the fantastic parks system we have, invest in medical research that led to the discovery of much that keeps us healthy and safe today, etc. etc. So, because there were honorable people able to do this in both parties, I could vote for the person I found most intelligent and honest without fearing that their devotion to a party would destroy our country. I can not longer do that. Now, whether you believe it or not, that happens to be the honest truth.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:28 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,990,119 times
It merely reinforces what I already knew about the left - they are irrational, emotional creatures who do not value individuality, personal liberty, and personal responsibility. They want to be taken care of by the government from cradle to grave and don't care who gets hurt or what liberties have to be sacrificed to make it happen.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,664,863 times
yes CDF has enormous influence on me. its the only place i get an honest opinion. this is invaluable.
probably the numbing shock of CDF is the degree of self deception in posters. but that is ok, its good to know where they stand.
and then live accordingly.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:01 PM

525 posts, read 510,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is a big difference between taxes for roads and taking money from one person and giving it to another.

Maybe if you think about it you will understand.
To you people taxation is all robbery...what does it matter where it goes....ultimately you have less of your money. To be ideologically consistent, taxation in any capacity has to equate to robbery.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Obviously you have never been to Brunei nor know anything about it. Hardly an economic underdeveloped country. Far from a third world hell hole, but a developing third world country with a very strong economy. Maybe you should have used Bangladesh as an example of a third world hell hole.
Brunei is oil rich but it doesn't charge an income tax which was the point of my rebuttal. I'm unaware of Bangladeshi taxation and how or if it levies a personal income tax. However, Brunei is developing an infrastructure but it's remarkably impoverished and riddled with massive levels of inequality and corruption. Further, it's an Islamic state which attracts all the musings associated with that.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You parrot, without any understanding or factual basis, a whole bunch of pure nonsense that defies all reason... And then call actual conservatives lemmings. You have swallowed, without one critical thought, a whole boatload of economic, social, and political BS. You post it constantly. Like the assertion that low income causes crime. Or that the existence of rich people causes crime (take your pick, it's the same argument).

It is incomprehensibly stupid. Yet, you call OTHER people "lemmings" for not accepting it without question.
Where to begin.

I post articles that I agree with and I then include my commentary in hopes to stimulate some discussion. They range on issues from poverty, economics, or whatever else strikes my fancy. You then, in practically every post, this one included, insert your unwanted, uneducated, unwarranted, and unnecessary opinion which includes the same minarchist themes about "gettin tha guvmint outta yer bizness," repealing all regulation, abolishing taxes, charity is the answer to healthcare, massive inequality is good, greed is great, eff poor people, and hating the fed. These themes are, to use your phrase, parroted by you and those like you ad nausem 24/7 to practically every issue from education, to banking, to what we eat and all between. Your answer to literally every question on this forum is to vilify the government. It doesn't matter what the topic is...we all already know your answer. I on the other hand do not tow a party line. I support a low flat tax, expansionary monetary policy, lower corporate tax rate, the abolition of various depts at the federal level, increased regulation on cdo's and cds's, and single payer healthcare...these are ideologically diverging points. You however, are the very definition of a parrot. You repeat the same points without any thought, hesitation, or consideration. The worst part about you is that you're too stubborn to recognize your own hypocrisy.

Oh.......and having rich people doesn't create crime, no one has ever said that...and it's not the same argument as massive income inequality. Switzerland has very wealthy residents, as does Sweden, Norway, and Denmark....they also have very high income equality. So, nope...not the same. But then again I'm not shocked...if you can't respond with something about vilifying the government, your answers and insight are about as bright as a dead bulb.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 PM

642 posts, read 1,116,873 times
Changing a political opinion would require someone to admit they were wrong in the first place, which isn't always an easy or fun process. It sucks to realize you're wrong, especially since our culture seems to place more value in being gung-ho and committed to your beliefs rather than to question them to ultimately form a stronger and more accurate position.

That being said I don't think there's been anything on here that's been able to change my mind, probably because like most people I'm inclined to get reinforcement of my views from posts by people with similar ideologies.

I just hate that people are so obsessed with being right that they'll just have shouting matches and name-calling rather than making an attempt at an actual discussion. I think this has something to do with a "divide and conquer" tactic by the powers at be to keep people from making some necessary changes.

Last edited by abqpsychlist; 12-02-2013 at 11:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies