Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:53 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,850,135 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm seeing these popping up at Wal-Marts everywhere. I use them because the lines for the cashiers tend to be longer and I hate waiting to check out. Even small grocery stores like BI-LO are starting to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Yeah, I'm seeing these popping up at Wal-Marts everywhere. I use them because the lines for the cashiers tend to be longer and I hate waiting to check out. Even small grocery stores like BI-LO are starting to use them.
And what we're beginning to witness is what many silicon dorks refer to as part of the "singularity" when man becomes replaceable with machine. The future is going to be radically different than what most people could possibly imagine. Technology will be both a curse and a blessing. What happens when machines do everything and 3/4ths or more of all people will be unemployed? You'll see the deterioration of the fabric of society and anarchy. That OR we may have to simply switch to 10-20 hour work weeks since there will be far to few jobs and 10x the amount of people that will need one or people won't have to work at all. It's the way we are headed and you can't stop it.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If the wage paid by a job isn't enough to survive on without government assistance.....it isn't worth doing. If the job isn't worth doing it should be automated.
So, you prefer unemployment to employment.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:03 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Then you need to keep them out of Mickie D's or Burger Chef. Mine get straight A's. I expect them to be on full rides to good schools.

I'll do my dam@#$est to ensure they are successful.
Sooooo everyone should be successful? everyones going to be the top 10%?

Oh wait.....

I have 8 kids,they run the gambit between successful to failure.

When I was growing up I had a straight A step brother, he went to Stanford, got A's there too in business administration. He is a epic failure. he is in his 40's now, and has never held a job longer then a month.

Mcdonalds? Wasn't for him, that was "beneath him".

My successful kids? Fast food, whatever, it was "lets make money, study and be better"

good luck with your kids.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:04 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
So then you favor subsidizing those same workers with food stamps, welfare programs, etc? You can't have it both ways.
Nice try.

Most of those workers are not trying to support a family on that income. They may be students, or it may be an interim job, or they are married and have a supporting spouse.

You are assuming that every fast food worker is supporting a family, and that is their only source of income. They would be foolish.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,758,512 times
What I want to know is, who were the community organizers responsible for coming up with this sudden "we need to get paid $15.00 an hour" crap? And what is the true motivation behind it? Where were these strikers a year or two ago?

Old 12-05-2013, 05:13 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
And what we're beginning to witness is what many silicon dorks refer to as part of the "singularity" when man becomes replaceable with machine. The future is going to be radically different than what most people could possibly imagine. Technology will be both a curse and a blessing. What happens when machines do everything and 3/4ths or more of all people will be unemployed? You'll see the deterioration of the fabric of society and anarchy. That OR we may have to simply switch to 10-20 hour work weeks since there will be far to few jobs and 10x the amount of people that will need one or people won't have to work at all. It's the way we are headed and you can't stop it.
I'm one of those dorks. And I am working on stuff to make it a reality. (lol I post here while waiting for test builds of software to complete).

And you've got it dead on. People WILL be replaced, and there wont be new jobs. This isn't like when machinery replaced people in the past. In the past you could retrain, now...we're getting to the point where machines can do any unskilled labor better. And even many skilled jobs.

even a 10 hr work week might not be available. The future is going to be awesome, but again you put your finger on the problem....getting there without massive upheavals and problems.

Drivers-self driving cars
Manufacturing-3D printing and robots
Cashiers-self serve, and online ordering like amazon
Burger flippers-automated burger machines
Nurses-smart AI's and robotics
House cleaners-roombas now for vacuming...but upcoming robots. Google has invested in robots recently.
Pilots-some have said all they do lately is babysit the autopilots.
Garbagemen-used to require 3-4 people to run a garbage truck. now I think its just one guy. Maybe 2
Bankers/tellers-ATM's. yes there are tellers in a bank. I rarely use them. Back in the 90's I used them all the time. but now...heck I dont even have to go to a ATM to deposit checks anymore.
Warehouse workers-slowly being automated away today.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:26 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
What I want to know is, who were the community organizers responsible for coming up with this sudden "we need to get paid $15.00 an hour" crap? And what is the true motivation behind it? Where were these strikers a year or two ago?
The people who seek to unionize fast food workers is behind the strike.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Yeah...because the "oh no, technology is stealing our jobs" thing isn't like a few thousand years old.

In the 1870s, 50% of the population was employed in agriculture, and in 1980, less than 4% was.

In the 1970s, half a million people were switchboard operators, then computer switching networks made them obsolete.

In the 1980s, most offices still had typing/secretarial pools, and office productivity software made them obsolete.

A steam powered drill made John Henry obsolete.

Interchangeable parts and the assembly line made piece work, cottage craftsmanship damn near obsolete.

As long as this country has existed, the un/low skilled worker has been running from that evil mistress called Progress. She is relentless, ruthless and simply cannot be stopped. Word to the wise...get skills to stay ahead of her.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Nice try.

Most of those workers are not trying to support a family on that income. They may be students, or it may be an interim job, or they are married and have a supporting spouse.

You are assuming that every fast food worker is supporting a family, and that is their only source of income. They would be foolish.
It's not only foolish, but completely wrong, too.

Half of the minimum wage jobs are held by kids between 16 and 25 - exactly who you'd expect to be working in those positions.

I think it's fair to assume that the number of people 25 or younger who are trying to support a family on a single minimum wage job is small enough to be negligible in the grand scheme of things. That leaves us with the question of how many people over 25 (the people more likely to be raising a family) are working minimum wage jobs as their sole source of income while raising a family.

Of workers over 25, only 3% are minimum wage earners. That's not a typo - it's 3%.

The whole "living wage" nonsense is exactly that - nonsense. It's a propaganda campaign started by labor unions and promoted by ignorant fools who simply don't know any better than allow themselves to be manipulated by others into promoting their agenda.

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies