Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 05:53 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Errr, the median age of a min wage worker is 28.

"Across the country, the median age of fast-food workers is over 28, and women -- who make up two-thirds of the industry -- are over 32, according to the BLS."...

McJobs Should Pay, Too: Inside Fast-Food Workers' Historic Protest For Living Wages - Sarah Jaffe - The Atlantic
I wonder what percent of those were born in the US and have a high school diploma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 05:54 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I can't wait to see such technology deployed here! Plus voice synthesizers can speak better English than most McJob cashiers and your order will have a much better chance of being taken accurately. The kiosks will not call off, not threaten strikes and will not try to support multiple children on a fast food salary.

If they can automate preparation and delivery of the product, even better.

The question is whether the current White House regime will try to claim a job created for every kiosk installed.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin
Wow...I think I will like that. No more of the non interested cashiers who look at you like your a zombie if you don't order fast enough.

By the way the higher the prices as fast food restaurants the more I will complain when I go through the drive through and get fries that are almost cold, etc.

Why would we pay more for some of these dirty fast food places, most of them I will not even go in to eat.

Some are really kept nice but that is not often the case...and these employees want $ 15.00 for chatting more on the job...?

These are not career jobs but entry level jobs and you change jobs once you get some experience and move to the next job or you work yourself up to a managers position. Many people have started at fast food restaurants to make some money but nobody stared to work there thinking..."that is what I want to do for the rest of my life"...aside from the ones who worked themselves up to the top.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Or.......you could move forward with the times. It's completely ridiculous to demand that we keep in the stone ages, just to protect jobs.

I used to work in the printing industry. Yup, jobs there getting eliminated all the time, because of the internet. So, seeing the writing on the wall, I learned to take my skills and apply them to digital media.

Adapt or get eliminated.
That's like telling fish to grow lungs or snakes grow legs. It doesn't happen as fast as technology can sweep over us, especially when hoards of illegals are going to be crawling under the covers with us.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Republicans CHEERING for workers getting replaced by robots? .. all because you've been duped into thinking "high" wages are evil?

You think wages of the low wage, menial laborers are completely isolated and have no ripple effect upon their own bargaining power/wages? Genius!
They feel they are superior to the fast food worker. Being underemployed could NEVER happen to them. That's the feeling they get when they belittle others.

They do not understand how that could translate to their own bargaining power. In fact, they have actively campaigned to do away with ALL workers rights ~ even though they themselves are workers and have no rights of their own.

It's how they roll.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Who is playing superior to anybody? LOL. That is the pastime of liberals. Bargaining power? I don't work for a union nor do 90% of the country. Your communist tripe needs to take a back seat to reality.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Junk food =junk wages,you don't even need a knife,fork or teeth to gum down that slop.I prefer a sit down bar with a waitress and a cold beer and a .real burger and gladly pay 15 an hour including tip.Never for junk.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:36 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Republicans CHEERING for workers getting replaced by robots? .. all because you've been duped into thinking "high" wages are evil?

You think wages of the low wage, menial laborers are completely isolated and have no ripple effect upon their own bargaining power/wages? Genius!
yes they do. They also don't seem to understand what a market driven economy is. Some of the truly rich do, and are pushing for more income at the bottom as they understand that this is the fuel that keeps our economic engine going.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:42 PM

YOU pay their wages greywar. Take it out of your salary for one of these fry flippers. Liberals love to just throw money around when it's not theirs. YOU go pay for one of these folks you cry about. Will you do it? I doubt it. You sit and demand somebody else needs to pay up. Who are YOU who don't even own that business? You liberals are so lost it's amazing.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
YOU pay their wages greywar. Take it out of your salary for one of these fry flippers. Liberals love to just throw money around when it's not theirs. YOU go pay for one of these folks you cry about. Will you do it? I doubt it. You sit and demand somebody else needs to pay up. Who are YOU who don't even own that business? You liberals are so lost it's amazing.
Me and my wife DO own a business. My wife runs it, I work at Intel as a outside contractor doing software engineering.

Maybe you should stop making assumptions about "liberals" that are so incorrect.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Me and my wife DO own a business. My wife runs it, I work at Intel as a outside contractor doing software engineering.

Maybe you should stop making assumptions about "liberals" that are so incorrect.
Hey if you work for "Intel" you must be some superhero. Hey pay those fry flippers like I said. Or are you hoarding all you money for yourself?? Don't let the Obamunists find out. YOU go pay em. I guess you can't understand that because you think somebody else should pay em. Just unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies