Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times

Advertisements

Minimum wage is not really an economic question, but a moral and ideological one.

Unions even more so, especially in the US where unions seem to differ from those in other countries. It is all loaded with ideology instead of mere economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
You seem to favor creating jobs for the sake of creating jobs as compared to adding value. See an earlier thread about abolishing earthmovers in favor of laborers hand digging with shovels. As has been oft-stated here, the purpose of a business is to generate profit, not to provide the most amount of jobs at a minimal profit for the entrepreneurs who invest in the company. The onus should be on the worker to bring something of value to the business more than a mere pair of hands with no skills behind them, and in that way maximize his worth and thus his own income.

Interviews should always include the question "So why should I hire you?" with a valid answer given which shows what the interviewee adds to the business beyond using up any excess oxygen in the room.
Your take is totally valid & true and the way our system currently works. And it's not really moral or immoral, it just is. But here's the bottom line. Over the last 30 years income for the lower 80% of the population has stagnated or declined while the cost of living has gone through the roof comparably. In the mean time, the top 1% has seen their share of wealth and income shoot through the roof to 40% or almost half. And the top 20% of households/people hold %80 of the wealth and have saw their share of income rise slightly. In the mean time these people complain an awful lot about taxes on here. My point is, the bottom line is, that the serfs will be housed, clothed, fed and given medical attention. If not by employing them at decent wages than by getting taxed at high rates. Either way, you pay. So in a way the arguments on C.D. about issues such as this one are in the end pretty circular. The haves will have to pay for the have nots one way or another. It's always been that way and short of mass murder or revolution will be that way for the foreseeable future.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Minimum wage is not really an economic question, but a moral and ideological one.
So you advocate placing a moral burden onto a business owner to provide what the minimally-skilled employee considers acceptable wages? The potential employee has the option of finding employment more to his liking elsewhere and the employer can always continue to seek employees willing to work for the offered wage. Why should he pay a mandated (yet artificially-inflated and politically-motivated) minimum wage for what may be less than minimum skills?

Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
So you advocate placing a moral burden onto a business owner to provide what the minimally-skilled employee considers acceptable wages? The potential employee has the option of finding employment more to his liking elsewhere and the employer can always continue to seek employees willing to work for the offered wage. Why should he pay a mandated (yet artificially-inflated and politically-motivated) minimum wage for what may be less than minimum skills?
The problem in the US is not that there is not enough money, but that some earn way too much and others way too little. And that "too" is an ideological question.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
The problem in the US is not that there is not enough money, but that some earn way too much and others way too little. And that "too" is an ideological question.
You are subscribing to the belief that there is a limited amount of money available. If I make a million a year, my doing so does not in any way prevent you from doing the same unless we are competing in the same customer space, but even then either of us may innovate to gain market share. There are opportunities limited only by the motivation of the individual. Conversely, those who lack motivation or a sense of responsibility for their state of affairs are going to sink. It's Darwinism at work and part of the natural order of things. As was said in a another unrelated thread, all the baby turtles are not supposed to make it to the sea. America offers tremendous opportunity and a pretty much equal chance to succeed - or fail. Liberal philosophy seeks not to level the playing field, but to equalize the numbers on the score board.

Second, how do you define "too much" or "too little" considering the above?

Why do so many seek to come to this country if it's so terrible and why do those who come here and show initiative to succeed do so? I'm not going to belabor the story, but my wife arrived at age 23 in the US with an overnight bag and a few dollars. By the time she was 30, she was making six figures. (Hint: She didn't sit around whining about how 'unfair' life is or how hard she had to work.)

Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You are subscribing to the belief that there is a limited amount of money available. If I make a million a year, my doing so does not in any way prevent you from doing the same unless we are competing in the same customer space, but even then either of us may innovate to gain market share. There are opportunities limited only by the motivation of the individual. Conversely, those who lack motivation or a sense of responsibility for their state of affairs are going to sink. It's Darwinism at work and part of the natural order of things. As was said in a another unrelated thread, all the baby turtles are not supposed to make it to the sea. America offers tremendous opportunity and a pretty much equal chance to succeed - or fail. Liberal philosophy seeks not to level the playing field, but to equalize the numbers on the score board.

Second, how do you define "too much" or "too little" considering the above?

Why do so many seek to come to this country if it's so terrible and why do those who come here and show initiative to succeed do so? I'm not going to belabor the story, but my wife arrived at age 23 in the US with an overnight bag and a few dollars. By the time she was 30, she was making six figures. (Hint: She didn't sit around whining about how 'unfair' life is or how hard she had to work.)
There is only so much demand as people only have so much money and need. If A's business is booming, B and C will pay the price for that. Just because you don't know B and C does not mean they are not there.
Your views seem unrealistic to me, like the miracle of the loaves and fishes

I think citing Darwinism here is one big part of the problem and typical of the US. In Scandinavia for instance they don't believe in social Darwinism, and all the various rankings support their approach. We are not animals in the jungle.

The playing field is far from level, and always has been.

If your wife was so industrious and ambitious, good for her, that is why she was making six figures. But, believe and like it or not, many people are not like her and can't change that. Nor was anyone suggesting a burger flipper make 6 figures.

And if you have that idea that money is not limited anyway, why are you against a burger flipper making 15 bucks an hour, which is little anyway these days? That seems inconsistent...

Regarding the too, of course it is subjective, but I think most people have a pretty good intuition when it comes to that, even if they don't want to admit it for some reason.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
And if you have that idea that money is not limited anyway, why are you against a burger flipper making 15 bucks an hour, which is little anyway these days? That seems inconsistent...

Regarding the too, of course it is subjective, but I think most people have a pretty good intuition when it comes to that, even if they don't want to admit it for some reason.
If there are lines into the store due to his burger flipping skills, I see no problem, and more importantly, I'm sure the owner would see no problem. I do not, however, feel that because someone simply shows up, that they are entitled to a salary which is unjustifiable by the business math. Again, what value do they add? If he's got some mad skillz at the grill, then he should be compensated accordingly or go to where he will be.

The money is there, but it must be earned and not simply expected.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
You seem to favor creating jobs for the sake of creating jobs as compared to adding value. See an earlier thread about abolishing earthmovers in favor of laborers hand digging with shovels. As has been oft-stated here, the purpose of a business is to generate profit, not to provide the most amount of jobs at a minimal profit for the entrepreneurs who invest in the company. The onus should be on the worker to bring something of value to the business more than a mere pair of hands with no skills behind them, and in that way maximize his worth and thus his own income.

Interviews should always include the question "So why should I hire you?" with a valid answer given which shows what the interviewee adds to the business beyond using up any excess oxygen in the room.
There is a difference between shipping jobs to other countries so that other people can do them and replacing people because of technology.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:03 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
lol, and you never use a ATM, or board a flight with a ticket from the kiosk?
And I knew this would be the response. I use an ATM, but only for getting money from my account. I never use it for making deposits and other such stuff. As well, an ATM is simply enter number, get money. I'd rather have face-to-face communication when ordering food. It's quite a different concept. Maybe over your head, though.

Same thing goes with boarding a flight. If I have bags to check, I'll deal with a person and would much prefer to. Otherwise it's just press button, get ticket. Doesn't require a person. Same thing applies…it's different from ordering food. Still, I don't expect you to grasp the concept.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Fast food joints are already pretty automated. The drink dispenser fills the cup of to the brim automatically. The register has big buttons displaying the product and counts and spits the change out. You put the burger in the grill press and it tells you when it's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies