Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If there are lines into the store due to his burger flipping skills, I see no problem, and more importantly, I'm sure the owner would see no problem. I do not, however, feel that because someone simply shows up, that they are entitled to a salary which is unjustifiable by the business math. Again, what value do they add? If he's got some mad skillz at the grill, then he should be compensated accordingly or go to where he will be.

The money is there, but it must be earned and not simply expected.
The majority of people earn way more than those 7 or 8 bucks an hour, and yet their work does not cause lines, either. Most people are simply exchangeable little wheels in the machinery. That is the gloomy reality.

And burger flippers do not just show up, they do their jobs.

If we were talking about part-time jobs, I might agree and say, get another part-time job if your income is not enough to make ends meet. But full-time jobs should enable a decent lifestyle, regardless of the nature of the jobs. If you are so interested in distancing yourself from those simple people, you can pay those higher up in the hierarchy even more, after all money is not limited as we know now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
If there are lines into the store due to his burger flipping skills, I see no problem, and more importantly, I'm sure the owner would see no problem. I do not, however, feel that because someone simply shows up, that they are entitled to a salary which is unjustifiable by the business math. Again, what value do they add? If he's got some mad skillz at the grill, then he should be compensated accordingly or go to where he will be.

So you'd rather support them via taxes so that the business can profit more. Cool.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:49 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
`
You are a Luddite. Every time we figure out how to do anything cheaper and better, we are richer as a society.
Not if there's no benefit to most people. More profits for a few doesn't make society better off. When jobs are eliminated with technology, it means more unemployed people. Technology evolves but our society is not evolving with it.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Without the burger flippers, mcdonalds would not exist as a business.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:54 PM

50,297 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
And EBT and welfare wouldn't exist without........

Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
So? What's your point? That somehow makes the burger flippers who exist at this point somehow invaluable? Substitute any non-skilled position for burger flipper and the argument is the same.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
So you'd rather support them via taxes so that the business can profit more. Cool.
The "support" functions within society need serious readjustment, but that's another thread.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:27 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
I can't wait to see such technology deployed here! Plus voice synthesizers can speak better English than most McJob cashiers and your order will have a much better chance of being taken accurately. The kiosks will not call off, not threaten strikes and will not try to support multiple children on a fast food salary.

If they can automate preparation and delivery of the product, even better.

The question is whether the current White House regime will try to claim a job created for every kiosk installed.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin
I did not read the link but I think this will take longer on the drive through line if they have one there.

Uh-oh, I just read it. You have to use a debit card and it will gather data on your eating habits. Maybe this info will be attached to your Obamacare medical record.

Last edited by LauraC; 12-11-2013 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: read link

Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
So? What's your point? That somehow makes the burger flippers who exist at this point somehow invaluable? Substitute any non-skilled position for burger flipper and the argument is the same.
Let the CEO's flip the burgers if they don't want to pay people enough to live on, without whom they'd have no business. Moreover, the taxpayers should not have to subsidize their profits via welfare because they refuse to pay more. People aren't mere objects or resources.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
There's plenty of workers to spread around.

It's a pretty high ratio of employers to employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies