Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:05 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times

Advertisements

People cry "alas the priests molest the choir boys" but in the same breath they like this Pope for his stance on gay rights? Wow it is he who needs to study God's word for he is leading you astray...he is condoning sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
People cry "alas the priests molest the choir boys" but in the same breath they like this Pope for his stance on gay rights? Wow it is he who needs to study God's word for he is leading you astray...he is condoning sin.
Hating sinners will not carry favor with God, just so you know

Old 12-10-2013, 01:13 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
This was a mass so I really doubt the Pope was instructing Protestants on the way to the Lord.

(More likely a plea for left-leaning Catholics to stop killing babies)

Old 12-10-2013, 01:15 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
I'd imagine he's more knowledgeable on the subject from a religious point of view than you are. Probably on a spiritual level as well unless he's corrupted, which I do not believe him to be.

Homosexuality was around during the days of Christ and he did not condemn the behavior. Christ also was a poor man, and was a big advocate of helping those in need and condemning idolatry.

I do not know his reasoning on his abortion stance but maybe it has to do with when he believes the soul enters the human body or something of that nature.

Just trying to relate things on a religious/spiritual level.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
I'll be even more impressed when his actions include selling off church properties and using the money to help the poor instead of just redistributing church members' financial offerings.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I'll be even more impressed when his actions include selling off church properties and using the money to help the poor instead of just redistributing church members' financial offerings.
The thing about this Pope is that it's a possibility.

He's turning the Vatican upside down, challenging not just the positions and policies the Church has taken in the past, but challenging the very concept of ideology. A pontiff who prefers flexibility to ideology, and who clearly empathizes with the have-nots.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:38 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
He is a staunch conservative. I'm exactly like the Pope in my views. I don't approve of gay marriage, gay lifestyle, abortion, atheism, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna get on top of my soapbox and declare I am holier than thou and you're all going to hell. First of all, that's not my decision to make. Second, you can disapprove of certain things without hating the people who practice what you oppose. As for the economic side of the Pope, it's very shameful that to be Christian means to be on the side of primitive accumulation. Siding with the rich and to hell with the poor is not going to get you into Heaven. Private charities cannot completely absorb the costs of the poor.
With regards to the economic issues, there is a continuum of helping the poor that ranges from saying screw em' all the way to keeping them in a state of impoverished slavery.

The big problem is that too many people around here paint any attempt at change as one extreme or another.

My parents work the food bank in town for over a decade now and we were talking about this over thanksgiving. You have John Doe whom has mental deficiencies and works at a job in town but needs a little bit extra to get by. They like John. Then you have Family A that shows up, is on all kinds of aid, hits the food bank up at every chance they get and smoke like chimneys. They don't like Family A so much.

Aid should be provided to those must in need, at the same time we have a host of people that are just gaming the system. When times get tough, we need to make sure that the monies are going to those that truly need it.

P.S. Sadly, this thread won't go for long before the usual religious bigots show up.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM

650 posts, read 514,184 times
Well...the job is to try and guide the world to a better place, some attention is needed with respects to the place the world is in.

It makes no sense to not include an understanding that the place the world is in did not happen over night. The only door to a better place is getting back to workable basic's.

If the greater world cannot relate with the message, its a waste of time. Everybody likes peace and togetherness so some sense of a goal about unity in peace is a good inspiration.

Man's quest is unity, spirituality is supposed to enhance that quest. Laying out what may be a monks disposition and admirable for the monk or pious saint, isn't realistic because things don't happen overnight, and need to have some concrete meaning to be real, man is not a robot.. things unfold, everything unfolds...so the hard lining ideology people need some understanding if the goal is to hardline the world, in an all at once , even thoug in a way that's their job as well. There will always be extremes and its import because everything is a system and how things of value are able to be forged out.. So he's doing good and good to see.

Last edited by alexcanter; 12-10-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
P.S. Sadly, this thread won't go for long before the usual religious bigots show up.
Im an atheist......And I love this new pope. I also like people that work at food banks and help people. I know some Wiccan folks...they love the new pope. I suppose some of the Satanists might not be too fond of him...dunno....So uhmmm...what exactly are you thinking is going to occur?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
He certainly has a different attitude than that of of his predecessor, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies