Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this robot deserve $15/hr?
Yes! 5 33.33%
No! 5 33.33%
I don't know... 3 20.00%
Let's ban technology/robots! 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:45 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post

Who the heck am I going to yell at now when my drive-thru order gets screwed up?
Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 01:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No you pay for the computer to be manufactured and then serviced by technicians. That is where these folks need to head instead of screaming and crying. Go get a tech degree and get a service tech job to fix these things when they break which they do a lot. Then after that learn the software and move up in the world. Instead they whine and bray. Who do you think takes care of all the grocery stores and C stores registers? They are just computers after all.
Oh I am all for making it easier for people who want to get tech jobs to get the proper education for it.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
As they should and there are plenty of opportunities for them to go get that education but they choose not too. Just like the dreaded 40 million with no healthcare many were eligible for govenment programs or many chose just to not get healthcare. So why do you feel sorry for all these folks who don't take the incentive to improve their lives? Hey maybe they are happy doing what they do? Some are. You want to pay em for not taking the incentive. I say let em be where they are and if things get bad the incentive will come. See how that works?

Old 12-15-2013, 03:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They won't unionize, they don't require matching payroll taxes, or paying unemployment taxes, they don't require paying for vacation time, they won't demand expensive retirement plans. They don't call off. When they are unhappy (lol) they break down. When they break down they are fixed, no expensive Obamacare payments required. If they can't be fixed they are replaced just like you are.

If a company prices their service more than I am willing to pay, they are pricing themselves out of my business. When you work for a company you are providing a service. Obviously you are pricing yourself right out of a job.

Fail
Publicly traded corporations have no legal, moral or ethical duty to hire employees. In fact, the hiring of employees is incidental to the primary function of a publicly traded corporation, which is to make money for shareholders, and the corporations have a legal, moral and ethical duty to make money for shareholders.

Any person can be a shareholder, they simply have to want to be.

Sometimes, being a shareholder requires one to make heroic personal sacrifices of a cruel and unusual nature, such as giving up buying $5 in lotto tickets per week to purchase $5 worth of stocks per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
ROTFLMAO - Liberal Arts = Underwater Basket Weaving
Not any more.

Now it's more like The Contributions of Transvestite Lesbian Midgets to Culinary Arts in 16th Century France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, the computer should not be paid because it isn't human nor is it an employee.
I'm sure Liberals will figure out a way to ensure it has "civil rights" including access to Obamacare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Been to a fast food joint lately? I've had a few experiences that would lead one to believe that the people behind the counter aren't employees either.
No doubt....I thought the employees were customers at first....you know, they way they were playing around with their iPhones and ignoring me standing at the counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's another example of how federal benefits are being used to enable large scale employers to pay less than a " living wage" and make their shareholders happy, happy, happy.
There's no such thing as a "living wage."

There are places in America where a single person with an annual income of $53,490 automatically qualifies for tax-payer funded subsidized Section 8 HUD Housing.

Note that $53,490 annually would come to $26.75/hour in um, "living wages."

But, there are places in America where a single person with an annual income of $9,101 is automatically denied tax-payer funded subsidized Section 8 HUD Housing.

Note that $9,101 annually would be $4.55/hour in um, "living wages."

Note that $4.55/hour is $2.70/hour less than the "federal" minimum wage.

The federal government, specifically the Department of Housing & Urban Development, has effectively refuted and destroyed arguments for a "living wage," since HUD has provided prima facie evidence that someone earning the equivalent of $4.55/hour is capable of paying for their own housing and does not require tax-payer assistance.

As I have repeatedly said, you cannot afford to maintain people's Life-Styles....that's going to get really, really expensive.

If these morons earning the "federal" minimum wage working fast food have plenty of money. If they spend their money incorrectly and act stupid with it, that is not my fault, that's their fault, and they need fix their own problems.

Minimally...

Mircea

Old 12-15-2013, 04:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, the computer should not be paid because it isn't human nor is it an employee.
How will the investment be paid for, repaired when needed, or cleaned? Will it be free, or less cost than $15 per hour?

Old 12-15-2013, 04:41 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
The guy who owns the robot deserves what ever pay off on his investment he gets.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How will the investment be paid for, repaired when needed, or cleaned? Will it be free, or less cost than $15 per hour?
Except It's not even a complex robot. It's a touch screen computer + software. They have been available at bowling alleys for years.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
MUCH less than 15 per hour. A few thousand dollars will replace ALL the cashiers, and won't need much maintenance at all compared to the cashiers which cost the business over 100k a year.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 AM

544 posts, read 610,503 times
The question is not if the robot would be a better employee than a human. The question is, will the government subsidize the robots into existence?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They won't unionize, they don't require matching payroll taxes, or paying unemployment taxes, they don't require paying for vacation time,

they won't demand expensive retirement plans.

They don't call off. When they are unhappy (lol) they break down. When they break down they are fixed, no expensive Obamacare payments required. If they can't be fixed they are replaced just like you are.

If a company prices their service more than I am willing to pay, they are pricing themselves out of my business. When you work for a company you are providing a service. Obviously you are pricing yourself right out of a job.

Fail[/
Yeah. Taco joints really be sweating the retirement plans. Once again, you nailed it.

PS

Jack in box stole that idea from Sheetz. Note the date on the Sheetz vid, 2010.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5IiZY0uoLc

Also, if that's a robot, I'm a sheep dog. Also, those have been around for...decades in bus terminals and train stations. I see fauxrage here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies