Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 12:55 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
They still do the same in New Jersey. You also got tips for that. I wish they brought that back everywhere to. It would create alot more jobs.

How can you say you work harder? I know people who make minimum wage doing heavy lifting all day. Todays economy is much tougher then it was back then.

I said "I probably worked harder also". I worked whether it was 95 or 17 degrees. I put water in cars that was overheating, and all kinds of stuff, INCLUDING, heavy lifting, fixing/replacing tires, and no, the 15" radial on a steel rim on a riviera was not a LIGHT tire, neither was manually jacking up each corner, removing the tire using a 4 way wrench, and using a Coats 10/10 and manually removing the tire from the rim, and then manually putting on a new tire. It was rough physical work, and a BUSY station in Charlotte, Right off Independence and the freeway, Sarah's texaco. I remember thinking a 15 min lunch was a luxury.

You are right, it WOULD create more jobs, and I would love nothing more than being able to pull up and say fill it, and check the oil please? I was permanently injured while on active duty, and it's very uncomfortable to get up and walk. I take 60mgs of morphine a day, not including the other pain meds, just so I CAN walk, and work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 01:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
What occurred was against the law.
Which law is that?

Old 12-25-2013, 01:10 PM

237 posts, read 192,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I said "I probably worked harder also". I worked whether it was 95 or 17 degrees. I put water in cars that was overheating, and all kinds of stuff, INCLUDING, heavy lifting, fixing/replacing tires, and no, the 15" radial on a steel rim on a riviera was not a LIGHT tire, neither was manually jacking up each corner, removing the tire using a 4 way wrench, and using a Coats 10/10 and manually removing the tire from the rim, and then manually putting on a new tire. It was rough physical work, and a BUSY station in Charlotte, Right off Independence and the freeway, Sarah's texaco. I remember thinking a 15 min lunch was a luxury.

You are right, it WOULD create more jobs, and I would love nothing more than being able to pull up and say fill it, and check the oil please? I was permanently injured while on active duty, and it's very uncomfortable to get up and walk. I take 60mgs of morphine a day, not including the other pain meds, just so I CAN walk, and work.
Kids still work hard today. I know a guy who works in a warehouse with no ac and he lifts over 60 pound boxes all day. You better believe in Jersey that the kids are out there pumping gas in the snow and heat. They even fill your tires with air.

Second, thanks for your service. As military man I think you can understand that kids still give their all.

However, this doesn't change the fact. The minimum wage should be $10 an hour or at least $9.50. The deli owner will meet the fate of most small businesses. Defeat. He doesn't understand that his employees are his greatest asset. Customers know them and they know customers. Their skilled and experienced. He also doesn't understand basic cost management skills. My advice would be to take a small business course before its too late.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
And it requires you take an course which cost hundreds. Think before you speak.
Actually, I looked it up.

ServSafe® Food Handler Online Course & Assessment
Your Price: $15.00

Product Details

I showed you mine. Now you show me yours. Be sure to "think before you speak."

Old 12-25-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Actually, I looked it up.

ServSafe® Food Handler Online Course & Assessment
Your Price: $15.00

Product Details

I showed you mine. Now you show me yours. Be sure to "think before you speak."
https://www.servsafe.com/calculator How about them apples bub?

Old 12-25-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
I don't think I would care to run a business with employees simply because I don't want to deal with all the crap but if I did.A livable wage would be the FIRST thing I made sure I did.
You'll condemn others for not doing what you're not willing to do yourself?

Classy.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You'll condemn others for not doing what you're not willing to do yourself?

Classy.
Unlike, him I run a business. We have morals and don't tell our employees to sign up for food stamps and leach off the government.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:18 PM

278 posts, read 274,002 times
I don't want a business. Plain. Simple. How hard is that to understand? I have no interest in owning or running one. If I EVER owned a "business" it would to be a rancher or farmer I enjoy doing that and would not need employees to do it.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
The deli owner will meet the fate of most small businesses. Defeat. He doesn't understand that his employees are his greatest asset. Customers know them and they know customers. Their skilled and experienced. He also doesn't understand basic cost management skills. My advice would be to take a small business course before its too late.
Holy crap! You sure know a lot about someone else's business! And after reading only one article about it? Damn! I would think that you and your crystal ball would be in extremely high demand! Has Trump offered you a job yet? Gates? Come on - share it with us - with that kind of prognosticating ability, surely SOMEONE has offered you at least seven figures for your skills!

Oh, and for the record, at a sandwich shop, employees aren't generally the business' greatest asset. They're easily trained and replaced, and turnover in any fast food business is very high. Your comment falls flat in the face of facts. Now if we were talking about a bank, auto shop or other business where service is what you're paying for, you would have a point, but anyone can slap a sandwich together, and it's a rarity that the person doing it has any bearing on the customer's decision to eat there.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
https://www.servsafe.com/calculator How about them apples bub?
Well, "bub," those aren't apples. Those are oranges.

Training Cost Calculator For Food Safety and Responsible Alcohol Service

We're talking about a sandwich shop, not a bar.

Sorry, but you just killed your own argument. Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies