Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 11:58 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It’s the email no employee ever wants to receive, let alone just days before Christmas.

“All staff is terminated,” Snarf’s Sub Shop in Chicago said in an email to its 20 employees.

Read story and full email here:

Read the Now-Viral Email a Chicago Sandwich Shop Sent Its Employees Just Days Before Christmas | TheBlaze.com

Good, now they can go find new jobs with better wages.... which is what they should have done in the first place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 05:53 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
First, I want to say as an IT professional, you too can be hired by Bill Gates. . I'm not in IT i'm in computer science by the way.
Second, if they really were earning 9.50 an hour, then the owner was right to fire them. That is a perfectly reasonable wage for their line of work.
Third, I agree employees should make themselves more valuable to their employees.
However, I do want to point out that if they were being paid unfair wages after making them self of most value, then striking would be necessary. Please do not forget how employees were treated in the early 1900s.
rotflmao. I don't want to work for Bill Gates. I live in one of the top 3 vacation spots on the East Coast. WHY would I want to move, when I have a nice job here, and family?

They were making $9.50 an hour, below is a comment from a PART TIME worker making $9.50 an hour.

Quote:
“I have no problem making wages that are appropriate to my work, but it’s impossible to live on the wages we make,” explained Kait Ziegler, an actor and freelance writer who also works part-time at Snarf’s, making $9.50 an hour.
Chicago Sandwich Shop That Was Target of Union Thugs Demanding $15 an Hour Shuts Down | Jammie Wearing Fools

They were lured out by Union Thugs, to picket and strike for $15.00 wages, and they shut down the business they worked for, for four days.

The Sandwich shop is going to become a burger joint now. It was probably not making much of a profit, and of course being shut down for 4 days, probably didn't help much.

BTW, you keep bring up the 1900's. WHY? Not every worker was mistreated and paid badly. Yes it happened, but it certainly wasn't every employee in the entire country. The WORST case estimates, were 2/3rds of the work force, but there is no way to verify that.

NOW, the question is WHY were those wages so low? A contributing factor was unrestricted immigration to the country which provided an influx of unskilled workers, willing to get any job available, and at any pay. Sound familiar?

Last edited by Darkatt; 12-27-2013 at 06:14 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
However, I do want to point out that if they were being paid unfair wages after making them self of most value, then striking would be necessary.
first what is considered a "fair wage" in your mind? if the wages paid at all the sandwich shops in that area are paying an average of $9.50 per hour, then isnt that a fair wage for the job?

Quote:
Please do not forget how employees were treated in the early 1900s.
you keep referencing the early 1900s but you also keep forgetting the laws that have been put in place since that prevent such issues from happening today, and provide legal recourse should an employer try such tactics.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:05 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
The way to get a bigger slice of the pie is to increase your value by being a better worker, getting a better job, and bringing home a better paycheck. Not lamenting about a being underpaid in a job that should only be held by students.
I don't have a problem with this idea, and it is always a good idea to constantly improve and expand your skills which might improve your ability to find a better paying job.

I need to point out that in some cases very bright people - with excellent education, degrees, and highly specialized skills - worked for years at decent paying jobs only to be terminated because their jobs were outsourced, companies folded, or their positions were awarded to younger graduates willing to do the same job at significantly lower wages.

It seems to me there are no easy answers. Just "being a better worker" doesn't alway's work if the boss wants to replace you with his nephew.

Here is my suggestion: have more than one skill, be an entrepreneur and run your own business, constantly be on the lookout for a better paying position (have no "loyalty" to your employer because he/she will fire you in a heartbeat if they can find someone who will do your job for less $). Always have more than one source of income.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:30 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Here is my suggestion: .

Don't strike, when while working a McJob, you are paid FMV , which is a McWage!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
"Heh, heh" ?

I've known people like the OP before. People who always cheer for those in power, and when openly sneer with delight when those without power get stepped on.

I knew these people when I was a child. They were the ones who cheered every time Darth Vader choked someone to death, who were disappointed when the Death Star was destroyed, then expressed relief that Vader got away in the end.

They simply hate.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
"Heh, heh" ?

I've known people like the OP before. People who always cheer for those in power, and when openly sneer with delight when those without power get stepped on.

I knew these people when I was a child. They were the ones who cheered every time Darth Vader choked someone to death, who were disappointed when the Death Star was destroyed, then expressed relief that Vader got away in the end.

They simply hate.
"heh, heh".

Old 12-27-2013, 11:14 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
When there are 2-3 available workers for every available job - the employee has little to no leverage. Of course employers take advantage of a bad economy.

Employment at will ensures that the employer holds all the cards.
You guys sure are adversarial about EVERYTHING.

Employment is a mutually agreed to contract. Both parties are getting what they agree to. Either party has the right (and responsibility?) to terminate that contract should they determine that the other party isn't holding up their end of the deal. There's no reason to take this "us vs them" approach.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Employment is a mutually agreed to contract. Both parties are getting what they agree to. Either party has the right (and responsibility?) to terminate that contract should they determine that the other party isn't holding up their end of the deal. There's no reason to take this "us vs them" approach.
The only people who do this are the ones who are challenged at bettering themselves and achieving goals.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies