Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 03:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No, employers do not hold all the cards.

An employee can increase their value, work somewhere else, or otherwise show that they consider themselves more valuable then the employer may.

They have leverage when it comes to asking for a raise only if they provide it themselves.

A kid with no education working a first time job at a sandwich is not going to have much leverage. That is why it is called a first time job, and entry level. One has to work their way up the ladder, obtain marketable skills, and acquire experience if they want to make more money.

It is a two way street, and this type of employment is at will.

If someone is unhappy and isn't going to do anything to make them selves more valuable to an employer, then they are free to leave that employment and work elsewhere.
When there are 2-3 available workers for every available job - the employee has little to no leverage. Of course employers take advantage of a bad economy.

Employment at will ensures that the employer holds all the cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 03:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's always amazing how Christianist conservatives love to cheer against people trying to earn a living here in the United States, then turn around and whine about too many people being on "welfare.
Christian conservatives have nothing to do with this thread.

It's all about idiots standing in the street yelping and bellyaching when they should be inside working.

See how easy it is to understand? Well.....for most people. You're right about how they should have been on the job trying to earn a living instead of pi**ing and moaning. See how far that got them?

lol@them and anyone who doesn't get it.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So one can't possibly be underpaid just because they make sandwiches? Really?

And who says that sandwich making should only be done by students. What law says that?
Honestly, making a sandwich doesn't require much in the way of training or skills. Pay for a job is based on numerous things, including, how difficult is it to get workers for that job, the skill required, the amount of training required to get the employee productive.

I work with computers, and deal with networking, several various types of routers, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 as well as Mac OSX 10.5 through current, as well all manner of tablets and other devices. My job takes a LOT of training, and it is not every person walking down the road, who can be hired and trained to take over my job.

Therefore, MY pay is higher than minimum wage, and training someone for the job I do, requires a person already with certain knowledge/skill and a certain amount of time and effort. I go out of my way to ensure my skills remain current, and I volunteer to work overtime, and perform extra duties, thus further ensuring my value as an employee.

When my employer needed someone to fly to Nebraska and spend 10 days assisting in the training of people to increase our tech support group, I volunteered. Again, making my contribution to my employer even more valuable.

Because of all the above, my pay has gone up commensurate with my contribution.

BTW, further articles and investigation shows the sandwich workers actually making $9.50 an hour which is more than minimum wage.

Last edited by Darkatt; 12-26-2013 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 04:58 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Sorry, I find no humor in people loosing their jobs, especially at Christmas.
They have the right to protest under the law, just as the owner has the right to pay the wages he chooses, and I would not be surprised if this gets challenged in court under the labor laws. You generally don't fire people when you close to remodel, you lay them off and call them back when you reopen. I hope the employees sue.
Wait ... so, the employees have a right to protest. But the employer only has a right to pay whatever wages he chooses (within the law). He doesn't have a right to fire them? Why wouldn't he?

Old 12-26-2013, 05:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's always amazing how Christianist conservatives love to cheer against people trying to earn a living here in the United States, then turn around and whine about too many people being on "welfare.
rubbish trying to blame christians for these people getting fired. they did it to themselves at worst, and at best they can reapply when the shop reopens for business. or did you not read that part of the article? and we dont cheer against people earning a living in this country, in fact we are all for it. but that means going out and doing the best job you can and improving your work skills, and then moving up the ladder to the next higher job and doing the same thing. you cant expect to graduate from school and suddenly get a job making $60,000 per year or more. you have to work your way up to that. no one owes you anything.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:14 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
The way to get a bigger slice of the pie is to increase your value by being a better worker, getting a better job, and bringing home a better paycheck. Not lamenting about a being underpaid in a job that should only be held by students.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Honestly, making a sandwich doesn't require much in the way of training or skills.employer even more valuable.

What about the picklenista?

Old 12-26-2013, 06:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No, employers do not hold all the cards.

An employee can increase their value, work somewhere else, or otherwise show that they consider themselves more valuable then the employer may.

They have leverage when it comes to asking for a raise only if they provide it themselves.

A kid with no education working a first time job at a sandwich is not going to have much leverage. That is why it is called a first time job, and entry level. One has to work their way up the ladder, obtain marketable skills, and acquire experience if they want to make more money.

It is a two way street, and this type of employment is at will.

If someone is unhappy and isn't going to do anything to make them selves more valuable to an employer, then they are free to leave that employment and work elsewhere.
Something liberals appear to not infuse in their children. What you just described is what was known as the American Dream back in the day. Now the "dream" is to get a ****ty job and cry and whine about evil owners and employers and how nothing is fair. Our country is doomed.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:35 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Honestly, making a sandwich doesn't require much in the way of training or skills. Pay for a job is based on numerous things, including, how difficult is it to get workers for that job, the skill required, the amount of training required to get the employee productive.

I work with computers, and deal with networking, several various types of routers, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 as well as Mac OSX 10.5 through current, as well all manner of tablets and other devices. My job takes a LOT of training, and it is not every person walking down the road, who can be hired and trained to take over my job.

Therefore, MY pay is higher than minimum wage, and training someone for the job I do, requires a person already with certain knowledge/skill and a certain amount of time and effort. I go out of my way to ensure my skills remain current, and I volunteer to work overtime, and perform extra duties, thus further ensuring my value as an employee.

When my employer needed someone to fly to Nebraska and spend 10 days assisting in the training of people to increase our tech support group, I volunteered. Again, making my contribution to my employer even more valuable.

BTW, further articles and investigation shows the sandwich workers actually making $9.50 an hour which is more than minimum wage.
Well I don't know how one could spell it out any better than you just did. You get your worth. My kids could make their own sammiches when they were six years old. Sure maybe the mayo wasn't evenly distributed but they didn't care and I could have taught them to do it. lol. Just inanity rules with these folks who think they are owed something for actually "gasp" getting up in the morning and going to work. Just amazing.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:59 PM

237 posts, read 192,146 times
Quote:

First, I want to say as an IT professional, you too can be hired by Bill Gates. . I'm not in IT i'm in computer science by the way.
Second, if they really were earning 9.50 an hour, then the owner was right to fire them. That is a perfectly reasonable wage for their line of work.
Third, I agree employees should make themselves more valuable to their employees.
However, I do want to point out that if they were being paid unfair wages after making them self of most value, then striking would be necessary. Please do not forget how employees were treated in the early 1900s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies