Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,810,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And there is no law that says this employer must remain in business.
i disagree. american labor law is complex, but the NLRA can be pretty strict about firing employees for striking.

i wouldn't put it past them to sue this sandwich shop and force them to reopen or compensate the employees they fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,420,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletrouble View Post
Not if we allow unchecked illegal immigration across our borders.
Good thing border security is tighter under Obama than under any other president ever, and illegal immigration has plummeted since he took office.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM

50,549 posts, read 47,374,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Good thing border security is tighter under Obama than under any other president ever, and illegal immigration has plummeted since he took office.
You are giving Obama credit for the recession?

Old 12-31-2013, 03:12 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,420,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You are giving Obama credit for the recession?
The recession has driven away illegal immigrants, that is correct. However, Obama has increased border security which has contributed to the decline in illegal immigration. That is an undeniable fact.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:25 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,285,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so in other words you want people dependent on government for everything, you dont care if people dont go out and try to improve themselves, in fact you dont want people to go out and try to improve themselves you want them fat and stupid and lacking skills of any kind so that someone can take care of them in perpetuity. THAT is the future of the radical left if they get their way. during the reign of the soviet union, the average citizen was basically that of a drone. everyone did their jobs and went home. there was no motivation to improve themselves as there was no real higher level for the average person to reach for. and that is what the radical left wants for this country as well, and until people like you wake up and realize that this country is still a country of opportunity, we will continue in that direction.
Do you really think a bunch of poor people improving themselves is gonna really help? Sure some might find jobs that pay better but most won't so they will go back to what they did before. Judging how much someone gets by skill or how hard the job is is unethical. It does not take into account that people need to make a living and do not give the teens are working these jobs because they are not just go out in the world and you will see this.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,018,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i disagree. american labor law is complex, but the NLRA can be pretty strict about firing employees for striking.

i wouldn't put it past them to sue this sandwich shop and force them to reopen or compensate the employees they fired.

LOL! A business is closing and a new entity opens, plus there was no union, and without one, a strike is not a legally recognized action.

Surely, they checked out market rates for sandwich assemblers before walking out, right?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

they can try, but in the end they will lose, and if the business owners are smart they will file a countersuit if they can for malicious prosecution. the business can always answer the charges with , we had planned to close the business anyway, thus the employees were not fired for striking, but rather because the business was closing. they can also point out in the employee handbook where it says reasons for termination include failure to appear for scheduled shifts without permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Do you really think a bunch of poor people improving themselves is gonna really help? Sure some might find jobs that pay better but most won't so they will go back to what they did before. Judging how much someone gets by skill or how hard the job is is unethical. It does not take into account that people need to make a living and do not give the teens are working these jobs because they are not just go out in the world and you will see this.
oh please, dont give me this garbage. i started in a below minimum wage job, and worked my way up by building a reputation for hard work and honesty, and then taking advantage of opportunities presented to me. in fact i worked my was up to accounting manager for two hotel properties, and i would still be there today, or i would have gone much higher, if i was willing to handle the excessive stress of the job, which i wasnt. yes people need to make a living, but they are NOT OWED a living, they have to go out and EARN IT. i earned my way in life, but apparently liberals like you have decided that its too hard for people to actually EARN a living, and improve themselves and then take advantage of the opportunities that are put in front of them that you think they should be getting a check from the government, or that employers should be paying them a "fair wage" but you never identify what a fair wage is. just like you never identify what a fair tax rate for the rich is.

and as i have said many times before, a federal one size fits all solution never works for anyone. stop depending on government for all your needs, they will ********* every way they can under the auspices of "helping" you.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:50 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,787,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post

Says the guy on the Canada border....

I bet if you took a trip down here, you would have a different outlook.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 AM

12,311 posts, read 9,772,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so in other words you want people dependent on government for everything, you dont care if people dont go out and try to improve themselves, in fact you dont want people to go out and try to improve themselves you want them fat and stupid and lacking skills of any kind so that someone can take care of them in perpetuity. THAT is the future of the radical left if they get their way. during the reign of the soviet union, the average citizen was basically that of a drone. everyone did their jobs and went home. there was no motivation to improve themselves as there was no real higher level for the average person to reach for. and that is what the radical left wants for this country as well, and until people like you wake up and realize that this country is still a country of opportunity, we will continue in that direction.

Noooooooooooo..........that is what YOU want and that is what YOU are ensuring....because your blind support of fast-growing unethical and immoral business practices today is leaving Americans by the 10s of millions with no freaking alternative!!!!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:22 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,180,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Noooooooooooo..........that is what YOU want and that is what YOU are ensuring....because your blind support of fast-growing unethical and immoral business practices today is leaving Americans by the 10s of millions with no freaking alternative!!!!
What unethical and immoral business practices are you talking about?

I work for a private business. My employer has offices ALL over the U.S, nothing overseas. I just got a NICE end of year merit increase, based on my hard work and effort to be a productive employee.

I get
Health insurance
Dental insurance
Vision insurance
401K with company match
Pension
18 hours a month Paid Time off, a total of 216 hrs a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies