Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 07:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
When talking about bias motivated sentence enhancements, people seem to forget one major, necessary component - evidence or proof. You can't be charged with a "hate crime" without proof that you targeted the victim because of his race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.

In this case, a video exists where the white guy says he's going to target black people for assault. That's evidence of his bias motivated intent. The simple fact that a white guy hit a black guy, or that a black guy hit a white guy is not evidence of intent. You have to have actual evidence of the intent for that particular crime.

Every time somebody comes on here complaining and asking "Why was this white guy charged with a hate crime, but this black guy wasn't" - the answer is always the same: in the former, prosecutors have evidence of intent, in the latter, they don't.
This.
Nothing else to say really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:55 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You think they should let him go because he is white?
Where were Holder and the feds on all the black-on-not black incidents mentioned. You're being silly to suggest anyone wants the white guy let go because he's white. The point is, Holder and his Civil Rights Division ignored the knockout game as a Federal crime until a white-on-black knockout. Then they swooped in like vultures.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You think they should let him go because he is white?
Maybe he is saying that Blacks, Asians and Hispanics would also be charged with a hate crime when specifically target outside of their race, based on race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:05 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You missed the point I made completely, DD, but I'm not surprised. This discussion is futile. I'm done with this topic.
I get your other point. The story didn't blow up in the media. I do not think that it has everything to do with the media bias. The media and news sites makes money by selling advertisements. They do this by selling drama. If whites and white leaders would have made just as big of a public deal as blacks usually do, then the story would be more viable in the eyes of the media. More cash for ads.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:30 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
An important fact to take into consideration here is did the US DOJ bring the hate crime charges to the black offenders or did LOCAL authorities do it? The point of this entire discussion was to point out how Holder will swoop right in when the attacker is white and ignore when they are black. It will be interesting to see if Holder's office brought any of the charges or not.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Do you recall the older, white man killed with a sucker punch in Union Sq in NYC by a black man heard ranting he was going to hit the next white person he saw. You can look up specifics if curious. There are others, too.

I see this as a double standard, DD.
How so? In both cases, the bad guy was charged with a hate crime enhancement.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:06 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
This is why:

'Knockout game' attack leads to hate crime charge - US news | NBC News

Investigators retrieved other videos from Barrett's phone, including some in which he uses racial epithets and talks about trying to work up the courage to play the knockout game, the complaint states. In one, Barrett says: "That plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

Old 12-27-2013, 09:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Where were Holder and the feds on all the black-on-not black incidents mentioned. You're being silly to suggest anyone wants the white guy let go because he's white. The point is, Holder and his Civil Rights Division ignored the knockout game as a Federal crime until a white-on-black knockout. Then they swooped in like vultures.
Reading the comments on this thread, you are wrong. Just because you were not informed about the hate crime charges against the black offenders, doesn't mean they did not take place.

It is telling people like you and the OP swoop like vulture as soon as a white person is arrested.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Maybe he is saying that Blacks, Asians and Hispanics would also be charged with a hate crime when specifically target outside of their race, based on race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
Blacks were charged, which is why I am surprised all the attention now that a white criminal is arrested.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:28 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
The young man is a disgusting coward for hitting a 79 year old man. Throw the book at him!

What I do find interesting is the news media identifies this coward as white and the victim as black. In almost all reports I've read about knockout assaults, the race of the attackers was never mentioned until Al Sharpton spoke up about knockout game attacks on "other races".

Racial bias is alive and well in the media.
A very important and true point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies