Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:16 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times

Advertisements

Most conservatives believe that single-payer simply doesn't work or doesn't work as well as their preferred solutions, so there will be conservative opposition at the state level. However, you will see much less fervent opposition from out-of-state conservatives simply because it doesn't affect them. Going state by state lowers the stakes compared to one plan for every state, it enables us to see how different systems work in real time (laboratories of innovation, etc.), and enables states of different political persuasions to implement a health plan more in keeping with their own views on the topic.

If single-payer is a stunning success in Vermont the right will probably cite (with some justification) differences between Vermont and other states when it comes to the exportability of the model. However, if such an outcome occurred you might see some conservatives warm up to the idea, at least at the county level. However, I think that to get any significant number of conservatives on board you would have to first demonstrate single-payer's stunning success in very different states, and secondly have the many (ultra-)conservative plans that have been put forth spectacularly fail in multiple states. Even if single payer works very well, if the conservative plans work very well too they will want the latter.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Ultimately people want healthcare they can rely on, it needs to be there when they want it and not to be told about pre existing conditions,co pays,caps or lose your job lose your healthcare.I think people love the idea of being on a covered from cradle to grave healthcare system and paid for through a small rise in taxes,kinda like they do it in the rest of the civilized world.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:55 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
It depends how it is run and if it is renewed. If its a bond issue voted on the residents and has to come up for a renewal vote and is non profit then yes i would be ok with it. I actually voted twice for such a messure when living in genesee county michigan for their health program.

As a conservative i have no problem with a single payer system if its run at state or local level if at least 60% vote for it and it has checks and balances and the books are open for all to see.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:09 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Who cares what conservatives want? Their "free market" healthcare system that's been in place for all these years simply doesn't work for those who are not ultra rich. There's enough people who are in favor of a single payer healthcare system in this country that it won't matter what the righties say.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
With the federal so entrenched in HC it is hard to determine if a idea will work.

One of the things I noticed is the state has no plan as of yet for funding and the story pointed out the they need to come up with 1.6 billion. There has to be some kind of revenue stream but some of that would be made up from employees and others paying into the state system. Of course the state will also have the federal gvt picking up most of the tab on Medicaid.

It will be interesting to see what idea they come up with. I would hope their is shared sacrifice even if it included company owners. It would be a easy sell of instead of dishing out 2,300 for insurance to maybe paying 500 for each employee. Maybe that with a sales tax who knows they might have enough.

I am all for states doing what the hell they want but know the reality their is the federal gvt to deal with.

Consultants have recommended both a payroll tax and consumption tax/state tax to pay for it.
The numbers they threw around was 19% additional payroll tax..11% on the employer and 8% on the employee and a 1% tax on gross income.

Now that's today. Vermont is looking to implement this in 2017 which is 4 years out so it could be higher than 19% as time goes on.

Also Vermont is relying heavily on Fed money to subsidize this.

http://www.thesolutionsjournal.com/node/23903
:: Vermont for Single Payer

Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Most conservatives believe that single-payer simply doesn't work or doesn't work as well as their preferred solutions, so there will be conservative opposition at the state level. However, you will see much less fervent opposition from out-of-state conservatives simply because it doesn't affect them. Going state by state lowers the stakes compared to one plan for every state, it enables us to see how different systems work in real time (laboratories of innovation, etc.), and enables states of different political persuasions to implement a health plan more in keeping with their own views on the topic.

If single-payer is a stunning success in Vermont the right will probably cite (with some justification) differences between Vermont and other states when it comes to the exportability of the model. However, if such an outcome occurred you might see some conservatives warm up to the idea, at least at the county level. However, I think that to get any significant number of conservatives on board you would have to first demonstrate single-payer's stunning success in very different states, and secondly have the many (ultra-)conservative plans that have been put forth spectacularly fail in multiple states. Even if single payer works very well, if the conservative plans work very well too they will want the latter.
One does have to look at the demographics of the state especially if funding involves a near 20% new payroll tax and new tax on income.
The median income of state residents in Vermont is $54K/year.

A state like Mississippi would need an even higher tax as their median income is only $38K/year.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:18 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Who cares what conservatives want?
Perhaps you should care, since conservatives are dominant over liberals in a huge chunk of the country, unless you just want single-payer health care in blue states .

Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Who cares what conservatives want? Their "free market" healthcare system that's been in place for all these years simply doesn't work for those who are not ultra rich.
Prior to Obamacare, 80% of people were content with the insurance arrangement they had. Are you saying that 80% of the country is "ultra rich"?

It helps to know WTF you're talking about before making statements that can only be characterized as "remarkably stupid."

Quote:
There's enough people who are in favor of a single payer healthcare system in this country that it won't matter what the righties say.
"Righties" make up more than half of this country. You probably already knew that (or maybe not - being informed doesn't seem to be your forte). That said, I'm not surprised at all that you'd have this attitude. MOST liberals have that same "screw the other side, they're stupid, racist, etc., and simply don't count. *I* know what's best for them" attitude.

And by the way, your "there's enough people who are in favor of a single payer system" statement is also wrong, but again, facts don't seem to be involved with your decision making process, so there's no surprise there.

I strongly suggest you do some research - and do it on sites that don't include "huffington", "kos", "progress", "underground" or "msnbc" in the domain. At least then you'll have a chance at encountering some non-propaganda with which you can create an informed opinion.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:21 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Who cares what conservatives want? Their "free market" healthcare system that's been in place for all these years simply doesn't work for those who are not ultra rich. There's enough people who are in favor of a single payer healthcare system in this country that it won't matter what the righties say.
Given the fact that conservatives end up paying for all of the ignorant schemes that liberal morons come up with, you should care.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
That is an issue for each state to determine - in other words, the only state you would possibly hear this conservative squawk about is the one I pay taxes in. Even then, I probably would have few objections, if that was the will of a CLEAR majority of the people of that state. One of my biggest issues with Obamacare remains how it came about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies