Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:11 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times

Advertisements

"Would the right accept single-payer healthcare if administered at the state level?"
.. it depends if is a Democrat or Republican proposal. If Obama likes it then the right will knee-jerk hate it.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Hypothetically, if the single payer experiment in Vermont were to be a cost-cutting success...
That's impossible.

The cost of healthcare in the US is over-inflated due to the fact that a Special Interest Group called the American Hospital Association exercises monopoly control by organizing its member-hospitals as monopolistic cartels that illegally collude to illegally fix the prices for healthcare services far above what the Free Market would allow.

Show me where in Vermont's legislation it specifically bans hospitals from illegally colluding to illegally fix prices; or where it bans hospitals from forming monopolistic cartels; or any action at all that permits the Free Market to force down the cost of healthcare.

I'm guessing you cannot and will not do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Most conservatives believe...
Most conservatives know for a fact,...... because most conservatives are far more educated and they understand exactly the Who, What, Why, How, Where and When your healthcare system because a total freaking disaster economically, and they now how to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
If single-payer is a stunning success in Vermont....
That's impossible.

Show me where in Vermont's legislation it specifically bans hospitals from illegally colluding to illegally fix prices; or where it bans hospitals from forming monopolistic cartels; or any action at all that permits the Free Market to force down the cost of healthcare.

I'm guessing you cannot and will not do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Who cares what conservatives want? Their "free market" healthcare system that's been in place for all these years simply doesn't work for those who are not ultra rich.
Does it make you feel good to mislead people?

It must, because it seems to be the only thing you know how to do.

In 1939, the American Hospital Association established the "Out-of-Network" clause.

The existence of an "Out-of-Network" clause is prima facie evidence that no Free Market exists.

Ooops.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Odd how universal healthcare in one form or another seems to work...
You have no idea how it works, so I'll let the former German Minister of Health help you understand....

"In the past 20 years, our overriding philosophy has been that the health system cannot spend more than its income." -- Franz Knieps German Minister of Health (2009)

Elaborate...in detail....

Suppose Vermont collects $5 Billion in taxes for its universal system in 2014, but the total cost for healthcare that year is $6 Billion.

Using the wisdom provided by the former German Health Minister, explain how Vermont can spend more than its income.

We'll wait.....impress us....please....

Virtual budgets are also set up at the regional levels; these ensure that all participants in the system—including the health insurance funds and providers— know from the beginning of the year onward how much money can be spent. -- Franz Knieps German Minister of Health (2009)

Suppose Vermont collects $5 Billion in taxes for its universal system in 2014, but the total cost for healthcare that year is $6 Billion.

Using the great wisdom from the former German Health Minister, explain how Vermont can spend more money on healthcare than it collects in healthcare taxes.

We'll wait.....impress us....please....

Also, explain what happens to the those people who need healthcare treatment, but get caught up in the $1 Billion budget short-fall benefit.

Hypothetically...

Mircea

Old 12-29-2013, 03:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Then you raise taxes to cover the shortfall..Universal healthcare dont come free, taxes pay for it.As a result every one is covered from cradle to grave.
Personally living in a place that has universal healthcare (Canada)i dont find the taxes exorbitant and its comforting to know me and my family are totally covered if we ever need it.I doubt there are many if any Canadians who would want to scrap the Canadian healthcare system for the American version of healthcare.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:44 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Who cares what conservatives want? Their "free market" healthcare system that's been in place for all these years simply doesn't work for those who are not ultra rich. There's enough people who are in favor of a single payer healthcare system in this country that it won't matter what the righties say.
There hasn't been a free market health care system in the United States since before my parents were born, and I'm in my 40's. Nice try, though.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
I wouldnt even oppose it on a federal level, if it made fiscal sense..

Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
As state could already have done this and I don't see any takes has long as discussion has been going on I'd say no.Only take the taxpyers in the state willing to be the single payers in the state system and it has to meet mandates of ACA on coverage.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The most notable objection from the right-wing to healthcare reform isn't format, but rather is with regard to the individual impact on each of them, personally. They generally abide a callous disregard for those most vulnerable in society and so those that either won't personally benefit, or think they'll somehow soon get to a place where they won't need to benefit, from healthcare reform, will object to it in whatever form it comes, for no reason other than because it benefits others and has a price tag.
I'm impressed. It must have taken decades of research to develop an all-inclusive definition of "right-wing," poll everyone in the country to determine if they were within that classification then poll them all as to their personal opinion regarding healthcare reform and all possible approaches. Either that or you're shooting from the lip with extreme prejudice and haven't the first idea of what you're talking about, not that it stops you.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Then you raise taxes to cover the shortfall..Universal healthcare dont come free, taxes pay for it.As a result every one is covered from cradle to grave.
Being taken care of from cradle to grave by the government isn't something I'm personally interested in.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Being taken care of from cradle to grave by the government isn't something I'm personally interested in.
You must be one a them danged conservatives what believes in individual responsibility, self-reliance, earning your own way an' all that radical kinda stuff.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
You must be one a them danged conservatives what believes in individual responsibility, self-reliance, earning your own way an' all that radical kinda stuff.
That's me, the radical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies