Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the #1 reason/correlation for crime?
Lack of education 11 12.22%
Low income 8 8.89%
Poverty 29 32.22%
Certain racial groups 24 26.67%
Other 18 20.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Yes, high areas often have minorities in them. But I can also point out that there are high crime areas where whites are the majority.

Portsmouth, Ohio for example.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Portsmouth-Ohio.html

There are also minority majority areas with low crime.
Bloomfield, Connecticut as an example of this.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Bloomf...nnecticut.html

People who automatically think minorities = bad are the ones who need a reality check.
Well duh. Of course there are always exceptions. But generally speaking, places with high minority populations have higher crime.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Breakdown of the family. Kids need stable parents, boundaries, and values instilled in them or they'll be feral.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
We should not confuse correlation with causation within any context, especially this one.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
How am I being racist? Please explain.

Of course there are towns throughout the country that have high minority populations with low crime. But generally speaking, most high crime cities that I have seen have noticeably (and measurably) higher minority populations. There are far, far more crime ridden places with high minority populations in this country than crime ridden white populated places. Everyone knows that. Stop pretending to ignore reality.

I'm not saying that the crime is because of their race. What I am saying, is that most places with high crime rates have high minority populations. Please now.
*The title of your poll: "What is the #1 reason/correlation for crime?"
*An option on your poll: "Certain racial groups"

That's exactly how you phrased your poll, however, whether you meant to or not. If that is not what you meant, then I would suggest editing your original post and clarifying that.

As I said before, the root cause is poverty. Looking at your other poll examples, if you grew up in abject poverty chances are you did not receive a decent education in your failing local public school. Without a decent education and good grades, you're unlikely to get into college or to get a good enough scholarship so that you can even attend said university without being saddled with a level of student debt that's vastly higher than the national average. Without a decent education or job skills you cannot get a decent job, which means you're most likely going to be low income.

It all comes back around to poverty, the problems it causes, and the opportunities it removes from people in this country.

PS: Those cities went to shambles due to white flight and the loss of jobs btw. The white people moved out when black people moved in due to the Great Migration, and this left a lot of poor people in the cities without proper social services. This is also around the same time that manufacturing started to die in this country, so a lot of those jobs that people traveled across the country to get also disappeared.

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 12-30-2013 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Added the PS

Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
*The title of your poll: "What is the #1 reason/correlation for crime?"
*An option on your poll: "Certain racial groups"

That's exactly how you phrased your poll, however, whether you meant to or not. If that is not what you meant, then I would suggest editing your original post and clarifying that.

As I said before, the root cause is poverty. Looking at your other poll examples, if you grew up in abject poverty chances are you did not receive a decent education in your failing local public school. Without a decent education and good grades you're unlikely to get into college or to get a good enough scholarship so that you can even attend said university without being saddled with a level of student debt that's vastly higher than the national average. Without a decent education or job skills you cannot get a decent job, which means you're most likely going to be low income.

It all comes back around to poverty, the problems it causes, and the opportunities it removes from people in this country.

PS: Those cities went to shambles due to white flight and the loss of jobs btw. The white moved out when black people moved in due to the Great Migration, and this left a lot of poor people in the cities without proper social services. This is also around the same time that manufacturing started to die in this country, so a lot of those jobs that people traveled across the country to get also disappeared.
Yes, I know. I only put "certain racial groups" there as an option, since the perceived cause of crime is often attributable to race. It's a poll and I wanted to see how people vote. I agree with everything else you said.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,598,861 times
I blame MTV.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times

*Ignore the title

With your "certain racial groups" answer, I'm assuming that you meant black people. The problem with the black community is the lack of family structure. Fix that, and other issues will fix themselves.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Yes, I know. I only put "certain racial groups" there as an option, since the perceived cause of crime is often attributable to race. It's a poll and I wanted to see how people vote. I agree with everything else you said.
I apologize for calling you racist. That was rather extreme on my part, as I just wanted to highlight how the wording can be taken.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
With your "certain racial groups" answer, I'm assuming that you meant black people. The problem with the black community is the lack of family structure. Fix that, and other issues will fix themselves.
I assume you're referring to out-of-wedlock births? This should help explain things: Understanding Out-of-Wedlock Births in Black America - Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

Furthermore, this is increasingly becoming an American "problem" and not just a "Black" problem:

Once largely limited to poor women and minorities, motherhood without marriage has settled deeply into middle America. The fastest growth in the last two decades has occurred among white women in their 20s who have some college education but no four-year degree, according to Child Trends, a Washington research group that analyzed government data.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/us...iage.html?_r=0

Old 12-30-2013, 08:29 PM

320 posts, read 578,608 times
Quote:
Well if you look at many cities, with huge minority populations, the crime is super high (e.g., Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC). But in cities where it's mostly white, the crime is lower (e.g., Boston, San Diego). At least here in the Northeast. Maybe it's not because of the peoples' race directly, but because minority races tend to have much more poverty. So it could be the poverty to blame. I don't know, so that's why I'm asking for your opinion.
There is a region here in the South called the Black Belt that's filled with black people that are in some of the worst poverty in the country. It's a rural region without the matching high crime rates of major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies