Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
You must be on one of those programs. Most people who complain about the ACA are.

What about the people without insurance what are they supposed to pay. I guess they are on their own without insurance and the gubbermint to negotiate the rates.
Any irony in the non stop cheerleading of ACA while you then moan about people without insurance?

yes, yes there is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 06:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its probably a 20% co-pay.

$55K * 20% = $11K
That's another thing foreign to foreigners - co-pays. You pay your taxes (health portion is less than US premiums) and you're covered. I had a ~$300,000 2 month hospital bill in Canada and paid nothing.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A 20 year old's 2 day $55,00 hospital bill for appendicitis has gone viral around the world - a world that shakes it head and comments in disbelief.

The original bill of $55,000 was reduced to 'only' $11,000 because he was covered by his Dad's insurance.

A 20 Year-Old Got Appendicitis and This Was His Hospital Bill
All sorts of sensationalist bullsh*t goes viral.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
That's another thing foreign to foreigners - co-pays. You pay your taxes (health portion is less than US premiums) and you're covered. I had a +$300,000 2 month hospital bill in Canada and paid nothing.
Most of us would find a $300K hospital bill a reason to go viral.. noooo, not you. you're all upset because someone has to pay $11K out of pocket. (which of course they will never pay, which is why the hospital bill is so high to begin with)

Weird...

Old 12-30-2013, 06:57 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Charge master rates/prices always had me scratching my head. The problem with the cost of healthcare in this country isn't necessarily the insurance companies, it's the providers.

List of countries by total health expenditure (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ies-make/?_r=0

Old 12-30-2013, 06:57 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
You must be on one of those programs. Most people who complain about the ACA are.

What about the people without insurance what are they supposed to pay. I guess they are on their own without insurance and the gubbermint to negotiate the rates.
What program are you talking about? Insurance?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
That's another thing foreign to foreigners - co-pays. You pay your taxes (health portion is less than US premiums) and you're covered. I had a ~$300,000 2 month hospital bill in Canada and paid nothing.
I was stunned when I moved to the US, had a very expensive insurance policy, and STILL HAD TO PAY!!
Not only that, but they wouldn't cover certain necessary procedures because I wasn't sick.
Ridiculous.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Its a free market a Tea Partier would love this kind of bill. But of course almost all are on some type of gubbermint program and dont pay anything.
Every damn thread. We have real problems and all we get are spastic attempts at demonizing others.

Do you want to discuss this or make yourself feel better by feeding your biases?

We can not have "Affordable" health care until we address the "affordable" side. Making nearly everyone pay more is not how you make health care affordable. Everyone is going to have to give up something and health care is going to have to give up thinking that can charge $55k for something like this.

This is a common surgery today. It would be not be that different than an auto repair shop charging $12,000 to change your transmission fluid.

I see no one willing the discuss the cost side. All of the discussion now is who can we exempt.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:08 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yep, that's exactly it!
What he's left paying all depends on what his dad's employer chose as co-pays and deductibles for the plan offered to it's employees...the more you pay in premium, the lower you'll have to pay later. Another thing is that you need to look at your EOB from the insurer to see what was paid and not paid and why. When a hospital sends you a bill that says this is your portion, that's their way of saying we want to get paid...either pay us get your insurer to pay us. In other words there's often missing info that hllds up payment and it's your problem to figure it out by looking at your EOB, not the hospitals...so call your insurer or broker before you start writing checks. You'd be surprised how many providers don't have your current insurance info...just because the hospital made a copy of your card, they don't pass it along to other providers that will also be billing you.

Having said that, the problem about the cost of healthcare is the hospitals and the drug companies, not the insurer. You could buy a car for what this routine surgery cost and that's after the discount.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Its a free market a Tea Partier would love this kind of bill. But of course almost all are on some type of gubbermint program and dont pay anything.
It takes a special kind of dense to believe that health care operates in anything approximating a "free market" in the 21st century. Where have you been for the last several decades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies