Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 07:55 AM

471 posts, read 601,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
This is what happens when the government looks the other way when 14 million plus illegals can go to the emergency room .. To off set the cost the hospital has to charge the insurance companies much higher payment to cover all the freebees the hospital gives to those who enter this country illegally.

The American people are being robbed and our government doesn't really care about the middle class. We are in a downward spiral and no democrat wants to fix it. They rather keep the power with freebees to all even though the American people have to suffer the consequences of oppressive hospital bills that will drown the working class.
In fairness, the Republicans haven't done anything to fix this. The simulacrum of capitalism (Crony Capitalism) that we have today perpetuates this kind of fraud and theft.

All the medical cost for "illegals" pales in comparison to the amount swept up by banks, corporate sweeheart deals, tax giveaways etc.

The medical insurance cartel and practices in Big Healthcare also perpetuate extraordinary abuses in cost, thus what you see here in the OP.

So before we blame it all at the feet of one group, zoom out and look bigger. Just the amount of free money given to big banks alone in the last 8 years could pay for an entire single payer system and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And what we are willing to do about that is something no one will discuss.
I find a $55,000 for emergency appendectomy pretty outrageous myself. I guess no one else blinks an eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
What they should be astounded over is what led to that bill in the first place.

Lawsuits. People believe that any mistake at all should mean they never have to work again.

Did a search on Google for malpractice lawyers
About 5,410,000 results(0.31 seconds)

Can you say WOW!!!

Because of this, everything is double and triple checked, tests, even if not needed are done, "just in case".

THEN, everyone has to have malpractice insurance, who do you think pays for that?

Did some research, (google is my friend), in 2009, the average insurance cost for an Anesthesiologist, was $21,000. That was 2009, I am sure it's gone up. Every Doctor, MANY nurses, and various other entities, including the hospital itself, has to have malpractice insurance.

We live in a world here in the U.S. where someone buys hot coffee,, spills it on themselves, and sues Macdonalds for selling them coffee that's hot. Wanna see a sharp drop in medical costs? Limit lawsuits.
Sure. Those states which have passed tort reform have all seen dramatic insurance decreases, right?

It's really not easy to win a lawsuit against a physician. However, if a physician's extreme negligence causes someone bodily harm - they certainly should be able to suit, IMO.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:01 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
In fairness, the Republicans haven't done anything to fix this. The simulacrum of capitalism (Crony Capitalism) that we have today perpetuates this kind of fraud and theft.

All the medical cost for "illegals" pales in comparison to the amount swept up by banks, corporate sweeheart deals, tax giveaways etc.

The medical insurance cartel and practices in Big Healthcare also perpetuate extraordinary abuses in cost, thus what you see here in the OP.

So before we blame it all at the feet of one group, zoom out and look bigger. Just the amount of free money given to big banks alone in the last 8 years could pay for an entire single payer system and then some.
We have always included the cost of those who could not pay for their medical care.. it has always been that way. The poor always got that free operation regardless of ability to pay.

Now because the freebees have grown to include the illegals the costs have skyrocketed. With the illegals keep flooding in over the borders it will get worse ,not better. The middleclass had a huge tax placed on them through Obamacare. This is just the beginning. The costs will continue to go up as more sign up and lie about their situation to get free health care while fining the people who can no longer afford the Affordable care act premiums. The middle class gets the shaft again.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
That you are forced by the government to purchase something from a for profit insurance company is the very definition of crony capitalism. I noted a few posts ago that the GOP wouldn't have done anything but it doesn't do any good to rail against the very thing we are pushing and pretend that it's anything but.

Quote:
But to make health care actually affordable it all must be addressed.

Quote:

Perhaps so, I argued to take it from what we spend overseas. When do you think we might get a national candidate willing to do either?

Old 12-31-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I find a $55,000 for emergency appendectomy pretty outrageous myself. I guess no one else blinks an eye.
Finding it "outrageous" doesn't do anything to change it.

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Ours has gone up so much that every pay raise has almost been wiped out over the past 13 years by health care. Something is wrong in the health care sector.. thats why I will support a change from the path we were on. Republicans have never had a plan...never..not now not in the past.
Why is health care so expensive in the USA? To fix any problem one must seek root cause. I don't have all the answers it isn't my field of expertise. What I do know for a fact is that you can get similar care in Thailand for as little as 1/3 the cost. Exact same treatment. In fact less depending upon what level of health care you use.
We are by far the most litigious nation on the planet. Some one has to pay the bill for all those hefty settlements.
Thai doctors are not forced to take college courses that have nothing to do with practicing medicine.
Thai university costs a fraction of what ours does.
You spend over half a million dollars to become a doctor you need to pay for it, to pay for it you have to earn money, a lot of money.
ACA did not address the root cause in fact it may very well have exasperated the root causes. Just as raising taxes to pay for big government does not address why Govt spending is out of control. It only facilitates the spending. This the problem I have with both the Dems and the GOP. They talk a big game but actually do nothing.
Taxing the people does not fix the problem. Forcing people to buy a product does not fix the problem. If you are serious about solutions look to root cause. Blaming the Tea party fixes nothing, the Tea Party didn't create out of control lawsuits, cost of education, costs of Malpractice insurance, or force doctors to order batteries of tests which are not needed. These things drove the cost of medical care through the roof. Talk to doctors, ask them what their biggest expenses are. It isn't the scrubs they wear, or those white coats.

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I was stunned when I moved to the US, had a very expensive insurance policy, and STILL HAD TO PAY!!
Not only that, but they wouldn't cover certain necessary procedures because I wasn't sick.
Ridiculous.
What necessary procedures if you weren't sick? Maybe if you weren't sick you didn't need them. The only thing I pay is doctor visit co pays and drug co pays, it helps keep premiums down.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why is health care so expensive in the USA? To fix any problem one must seek root cause. I don't have all the answers it isn't my field of expertise. What I do know for a fact is that you can get similar care in Thailand for as little as 1/3 the cost. Exact same treatment. In fact less depending upon what level of health care you use.
It isn't the "exact" treatment. People aren't traveling from all over the world to get treated in Thailand.

The rest of your post does touch on many of the things we will have to do though to bring down costs but nobody is discussing.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
This is what happens when the government looks the other way when 14 million plus illegals can go to the emergency room .. To off set the cost the hospital has to charge the insurance companies much higher payment to cover all the freebees the hospital gives to those who enter this country illegally.

The American people are being robbed and our government doesn't really care about the middle class. We are in a downward spiral and no democrat wants to fix it. They rather keep the power with freebees to all even though the American people have to suffer the consequences of oppressive hospital bills that will drown the working class.
Quote:

The parent company of Sutter which did the overcharge here California Pacific only wrote off 1.27% to charity so for them illegals arent a problem even though they are in California.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Many times viral stories do have only a small basis in fact but the real facts are we have not done anything to address the cost side of health care.

I have a family member going through cancer treatment. Now I will agree that anecdotal examples do not prove a lot but two injections cost $24,000. That is something simply not sustainable.
Hospitals customarily over charge for services, they know insurance will only pay an agreed upon portion of the bill, so the hire the bill the more gets paid, it is a numbers game and they both play it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies