Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 01:01 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
If your personal political dynamic drives you to wish death on those with opposing viewpoints, then you've already lost the argument.
He lost the argument when it became apparent through his own admission some time ago, he works for insurance companies. That takes him right into the 'parasitic shill' category and completely out of the realm of an un-prejudicial observer.

He also had the unmitigated gall to refer to "poetic justice" as a descriptor for the posters untimely death.

There's a special place for ones such as this. Unlike him though; I join the poster in wishing he is delayed that terrible prospect for as long as humanly possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 01:06 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I do not have a deductible, I have a pretty good private insurance plan which does not cost me a ton of money.
I am very happy for you to have what we have without paying a ton of money either.

That is the desire of everyone watching your country's current floundering attempt to provide for it's citizens: to have what we have ALL enjoyed having for decades.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's a chicken or egg argument.
No, it's the Laws of Economics.

Quote:
Costs also went up when insurance became more common place.
No, your costs more than doubled between 1940 and 1950, even though only two "health insurance" companies existed at the time: the American Hospital Association's Blue Cross, and the AMA's Blue Shield.

In 1940, it was only 0.40% of disposable income, but more than doubled to 0.92% by 1950....due to technology.

Quote:
So while allowing those without coverage to die would bring costs down, so would doing away with your coverage.
That isn't true at all, and you cannot cite anything to support your claim. I won't even get into the fact that your claim is contradictory to the Laws of Economics.

Here, I think it is best that your own government explain to you what drives up the cost of healthcare....

1] Technology up to 65%
2]Consumer Demand up to 36%
3] Expanding Health Benefits or Insuring more people up to 13%
4] Healthcare Price Inflation up to 19% (caused by Consumer Demand and insuring more people)
5] Administrative Costs up to 13% (caused by Technology, Consumer Demand and Regulations)
6] Aging/Elderly up to 7%

Source: United States Government General Accounting Office GAO-13-281 PPACA and the Long-Term Fiscal Outlook, January 2013 pp 31-36

True, real, genuine, bona fide, actuarial-based health insurance has no bearing on the cost of healthcare, and in fact, may actually reduce the cost of healthcare.

Unfortunately, health insurance was outlawed by Congress and the IRS in 1954 and replaced with a fee-for-service plan.

Fee-for-service plans inherently have a tendency to drive up costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's not a coincidence that hospital costs skyrocketed at the same time a law was passed forcing them to treat everyone regardless of ability to pay.
No such law exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It is one thing to have a supply and demand issue where 5 livers are needed but only 4 available and another to not treat someone even when treatment is common and available just because they would cost too much.
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The Laws of Economics are always in play, and they most certainly do apply to healthcare.

Healthcare Capital consists of cash, credit, facilities, space, equipment, technology, maintenance, staff and personnel and much more, not to belabor the point.

Each facet of Capital in Healthcare is limited. Even if that were not true, Opportunity Costs still are present.

If I spend $300,000 to treat you, then that means another person who needs $300,000 in treatment will be denied treatment, or that 10 people who require $30,000 of treatment are denied or that 100 people who require $3,000 in treatment are denied treatment.

And, yes, that happens in Canada, Britain, Sweden, Germany, France, etc etc etc and people die as a result.

The amount of money you have to spend on healthcare is finite, not infinite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
If hospitals were faced with every patient having to pay cash they would lower their costs because otherwise only a very select few could pay $6000 for a C scan and their hospitals would be empty.
The flaw in your argument is that healthcare costs whatever it costs.

And what does healthcare cost?

We do not truly know, because you do not have Free Market healthcare.

A CAT Scan costs whatever it costs, and if it truly does cost $6,000 then that's just the way it is.

Hospitals rent CAT Scanners. That costs. The maintenance contract on the CAT Scanner? That's not free; it costs. The floor space that the CAT Scanner takes up? That's not free either...it costs. The technicians who operate it are not free. The janitors and cleaning crew who clean the room in which the CAT Scan sits are not free. The security guard who roams the hospital is not free. The payroll clerk, the HR person, et al are not free.

Shall I continue?

You people just don't think.

You have 1,539 separate economies in the united States. The Cost-of-Living varies dramatically. How dramatically?

Your government says a single person with an annual income of $53,490 qualifies for tax-payer subsidized HUD Section 8 Housing in some of those 1,539 separate economies.

But, then, your government also says that a single person with an annual income of $9,101 earns too much money to qualify for tax-payer subsidized housing.

Who among you is even remotely intelligent?

I ask, because a person with a modicum of intelligence would understand that in some of the 1,539 separate economies in the united States, a CAT Scan might actually truly really cost $590, while in other parts of the united States, a CAT Scan might truly really actually cost $17,000....

....and there is nothing immoral, unethical, unlawful, illegal or wrong with that.

For every single piece of medical diagnostic equipment ---MRI, CAT, PET, X-ray etc -- in each of those 1,539 separate economies in the united States, there is a billable rate per minute or per quarter hour which represents the "break-even" rate.

But, since those machines have to be replaced, a profit is necessary to ensure a replacement machine can be obtained in the future, so it would be Break-even Rate + Profit margin.

And, pray tell what might the Break-Even Rate and a fair Profit be?

Well, when you all decide that you want to have Free-Market healthcare, then you will know the answer.

Until such time....enjoy being powerless, clueless and in the dark, only able to guess at what those rates might be.

Economically...

Mircea

Old 01-01-2014, 01:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
Standard C-D answer: Serves him right! It's the kid's fault for getting appendicitis. It's the dad's fault for ever having a kid in the first place. The bill should have been $500k. Health is a privilege.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:11 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That is irrelevant on this issue. I want you to understand that our universal healthcare costs the government just over half per capita that the USA government spends on healthcare.

That of course does not include the trillions of dollars spent on insurance premiums, co pays and direct paying patients in the USA. Our system gets something like 8 times the results for every dollar spent to boot. In Canada the government gives a district healthcare corporation a million dollars and then demands ten million dollars worth of services for that funding. Our country has 100 years of experience in operating public corporations. Completely opposite to the USA, our politicians have learned that in the operation of any public corporation the absolute least interference by politicians or politics is the only way to succeed.

I doubt the American government has the ability to operate a healthcare system like ours. The political system and politics are so corrupted and dysfunctional that I fear the attempt at a similar system would just end up as a thousand Walter Reid hospital type situations.

The USA needs political reform much more than it needs any programmes at all. Everything the government does costs ten times more than it could and is ten times more inefficient and ineffective than it should be.
Now you get it, we don't trust our government to handle anything. This is exactly why we don't want universal health care run by the government.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

That isn't true at all, and you cannot cite anything to support your claim. I won't even get into the fact that your claim is contradictory to the Laws of Economics.
Per our earlier conversation. Without insurance there is no such thing as $1000 pills.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:15 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I am very happy for you to have what we have without paying a ton of money either.

That is the desire of everyone watching your country's current floundering attempt to provide for it's citizens: to have what we have ALL enjoyed having for decades.
I don't agree with Obama care, but will give them the benefit of the doubt here and say, when you have a country of 350 million+ people, it aint gonna be easy.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Ooooo; you can expect Mircea any second now with another epic missive.
And we can expect you to dodge and deflect.

Quote:
Your laws regarding immigration are yours to police as you see fit ..
Uh, sorry, but the 14th Amendment requires equal treatment under the law for all persons....not all citizens.

Perhaps you are unable to discern the difference between a "citizen" and a "person."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Insurance is the cause of the high cost of care. Not the doctors or hospitals.
No it isn't, and your silly anecdote doesn't prove your claim.

Quote:
Well let's deal with the decorum of answering a question with a question firstly:
Why?

You always dodge and deflect, often answering a question with an irrelevant question. You don't really want me to drag up your posts, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemspy View Post
I'll never understand why Americans are so frightened by taxation.
I'll never understand how some people cannot grasp basic Economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
We observe the absurdities of Medicare and Medicaid and VA care and other government-foisted programs like non-portable employer-funded health insurance and HMOs and mandated coverages whether you need them or not and then we ask ourselves, "do we trust this government to administer health care for all of us??"

Are you really surprised the answer is "no"?
May I provide evidence to support you thesis?

"VA adherence to the DOD 'no exposures' doctrine, often in the face of compelling clinical evidence to the contrary, could be viewed as Department-wide medical malpractice. -- Honorable Jesse Brown, Secretary of Veteran Affairs

[underlined emphasis mine]

Who does not understand the "no exposures" doctrine?

The United States Government, via the Department of Defense told the Veteran's Administration that even if you encounter veterans who display clear and convincing medical evidence of exposure to chemical weapons -- including nerve agents --- you will pretend you never saw the evidence and will not report it.

Assisting [Drover]....

Mircea

Old 01-01-2014, 01:18 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
By Donna Carreiro , CBC News Posted: Sep 09, 2013 5:20 AM CT Last Updated: Sep 09, 2013 7:42 AM CT

Life and death in Winnipeg's emergency rooms - Manitoba - CBC News

You made some flippant remark about Diane's death being 10 years ago.

The cause of her death.....your healthcare system being under-funded...has not gone away.

Your system is still under-funded.

People are waiting 34 hours in your emergency rooms and dying.

So don't continue to lie and say your system is funded, because it is not, and the fact that your Emergency Rooms are over-crowded, and people are waiting 24-34 hours for treatment and dying without ever having been seen by a physician is proof your system is under-funded and failing.

Once again, you have dodged and deflected the issue.

Why are your ERs over-crowded? Why are people dying in your ERs without ever having been seen by medical personnel?

Do you understand Poetic Justice?

Poetic Justice would be you heading to an emergency room and then dying after waiting 20-30 hours for treatment.

I must say...I would not be the least bit distraught by your passing.

Socially....

Mircea
Quote:
I must say...I would not be the least bit distraught by your passing.
Really? Thats about as crude and rude as it gets eh!

You are going to judge an entire nations national healthcare plan on a couple of cherry picked anomalies that have happened over the years.? While your wonderful system in the USA denies 30-40 million Americans healthcare insurance , you might want to look at your countries dysfunctional healthcare situation before criticising another countries healthcare program.
https://www.caoc.org/index.cfm?pg=MedicalErrors

Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I know that. I was responding to a post that stipulated Illegals were the single demographic choking the ER's when in fact it's across the spectrum of society that utilize those services due to no other choice being affordable to them.
By Donna Carreiro , CBC News Posted: Sep 09, 2013 5:20 AM CT Last Updated: Sep 09, 2013 7:42 AM CT

Life and death in Winnipeg's emergency rooms

Nurses talk about long lineups, understaffing in hospital ERs

Quote:

Welcome to life — and death — in Winnipeg's emergency rooms. Plagued for years with overcrowding, understaffing and a slew of casualties along the way.
"I'll tell you something: We are a Brian Sinclair incident waiting to happen," says the nurse, who asked not to be identified.
It's also a prediction shared by others, both local front-line workers and national experts in the field.
"Oh, I think it's absolutely true," says Dr. Alan Drummond of the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians.

"Brian Sinclair? I think it will happen again."
American: Canada's healthcare system is under-funded and people die waiting in ERs for 20-34 hours.
Obi-BruSan: [with a small wave of his hand] There are no problems with Canada's system.
American: There are no problems with Canada's system.
Obi-BruSan: No one dies in Canadian ERs waiting 20-24 hours for treatment.
American: No one dies in Canadian ERs waiting 20-24 hours for treatment.
Obi-BruSan: There is no waiting time in Canadian ERs because Canada has universal healthcare.
American: There is no waiting time in Canadian ERs because Canada has universal healthcare.
Obi-BruSan: Because Canada has universal healthcare, ERs are never over-crowded.
American: Because Canada has universal healthcare, ERs are never over-crowded.
Obi-BruSan: You can have a healthcare system just like we do. American: You can have a healthcare system just like we do.

Not choked up....

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies