Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 11:48 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I did read the article. Single payer in in a small Nordic country is far less threatening than having it in the large country right next door. The Fraser Institute is vehemently conservative, funded by US interests and never has a good thing to say about Canada, despite being "Canadian".
Wait...they do say wonderful, positive things about the toxic Tar Sands.
They're also funded by Big Oil.
Canada is big in oil. They very much want to sell us oil.

That said, they pointed out many countries with universal health care as positive examples. As far as population goes Japan and France are far larger systems than Canada's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 11:56 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I'm sure all the other people who paid for your hospital stay are so happy you paid nothing. Someone paid that $300,000 other than you.
You just don't seem to get it do you?

WE ALL willingly paid a proportionate amount based on our tax rate of that 300K bill he did not receive. We are not imbued with that "my riches are mine alone" nonsense that excludes advancing to a progressive society endowed with a sense of compassion and caring for our fellow man.

As a nation we long ago embraced the abhorrence for leaving anyone behind vis-à-vis the necessity of effective healthcare.

We don't call this guy Canada's greatest for nothing:

Tommy Douglas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's what a majority of Canadians voted for and have made a priority at many subsequent elections since 1966. and would not allow to be dismantled under any circumstances that are preventable.

Canadian governments tamper with universal healthcare at the risk of being dispatched to the back benches overnight.

We have only to look to the U.S. of A. now more than ever before to see the folly of a for-profit system as applies to healthcare.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Canada is big in oil. They very much want to sell us oil.

That said, they pointed out many countries with universal health care as positive examples. As far as population goes Japan and France are far larger systems than Canada's.
To be semantically correct: "we very much want to sell our oil" full stop! We don't necessarily shive-a-git who we sell it to. YOUR gulf coast refineries very much want to buy our oil hence the demand from your side of the border for the Keystone XL to supplement Keystone I.

Those particular refineries are upgraders only and as such they exist to take crap and turn it into shinolla and have two principle providers, Venezuela and Canada. THEY want the pipeline and lust after Alberta crude because it's cheaper to pipe, train or truck it to the gulf coast and those refineries than it is to tanker it up from South America.

Now, back to free market driven healthcare that in reality, has been extinct for decades.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:13 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
To be semantically correct: "we very much want to sell our oil" full stop! We don't necessarily shive-a-git who we sell it to. YOUR gulf coast refineries very much want to buy our oil hence the demand from your side of the border for the Keystone XL to supplement Keystone I.
Yes, that would be more correct in the overall sense.

Quote:
Now, back to free market driven healthcare that in reality, has been extinct for decades.
Pretty much.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its a social program whereby everyone pays into the pot and if you need healthcare you take out of the pot, Although there are a few problems the system works quite well and i'm not hearing any talk of repealing or scrapping the program whether here in Canada or any other place in the world that has universal healthcare.
By Donna Carreiro , CBC News Posted: Sep 09, 2013 5:20 AM CT Last Updated: Sep 09, 2013 7:42 AM CT

Quote:
Life and death in Winnipeg's emergency rooms
Nurses talk about long lineups, understaffing in hospital ERs

I'll tell you something: We are a Brian Sinclair incident waiting to happen," says the nurse, who asked not to be identified.It's also a prediction shared by others, both local front-line workers and national experts in the field.
"Oh, I think it's absolutely true," says Dr. Alan Drummond of the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians.
"Brian Sinclair? I think it will happen again."
Life and death in Winnipeg's emergency rooms - Manitoba - CBC News

You made some flippant remark about Diane's death being 10 years ago.

The cause of her death.....your healthcare system being under-funded...has not gone away.

Your system is still under-funded.

People are waiting 34 hours in your emergency rooms and dying.

So don't continue to lie and say your system is funded, because it is not, and the fact that your Emergency Rooms are over-crowded, and people are waiting 24-34 hours for treatment and dying without ever having been seen by a physician is proof your system is under-funded and failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol! I'll see your handful of people dying on waiting lists, and I'll raise you people dying in the USA because of not having insurance at all, or having treatment denied altogether.
Once again, you have dodged and deflected the issue.

Why are your ERs over-crowded? Why are people dying in your ERs without ever having been seen by medical personnel?

Do you understand Poetic Justice?

Poetic Justice would be you heading to an emergency room and then dying after waiting 20-30 hours for treatment.

I must say...I would not be the least bit distraught by your passing.

Socially....

Mircea

Old 01-01-2014, 12:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
By Donna Carreiro , CBC News Posted: Sep 09, 2013 5:20 AM CT Last Updated: Sep 09, 2013 7:42 AM CT

The cause of her death.....your healthcare system being under-funded...has not gone away.

So don't continue to lie and say your system is funded, because it is not, and the fact that your Emergency Rooms are over-crowded, and people are waiting 24-34 hours for treatment and dying without ever having been seen by a physician is proof your system is under-funded and failing.

Why are your ERs over-crowded? Why are people dying in your ERs without ever having been seen by medical personnel?

Poetic Justice would be you heading to an emergency room and then dying after waiting 20-30 hours for treatment.

Socially....

Mircea
What a snarky and evil thing to say. I wouldn't wish that on you.

Anyway......are you trying to say the ERs in the US are not without it's problems? You don't have psych patients dropping dead in the waiting rooms and being ignored? How about being misdiagnosed and sent home?
Don't die waiting in the ER - CNN.com

Emergency Room Death Sparks Outrage - CBS News

ER Death Points to Growing Wait-Time Problem - ABC News

Your ability to ignore the giant redwood in your own eye is truly astounding.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:35 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,753 times
If your personal political dynamic drives you to wish death on those with opposing viewpoints, then you've already lost the argument.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:48 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
How much are your taxes to pay for all of this?
That is irrelevant on this issue. I want you to understand that our universal healthcare costs the government just over half per capita that the USA government spends on healthcare.

That of course does not include the trillions of dollars spent on insurance premiums, co pays and direct paying patients in the USA. Our system gets something like 8 times the results for every dollar spent to boot. In Canada the government gives a district healthcare corporation a million dollars and then demands ten million dollars worth of services for that funding. Our country has 100 years of experience in operating public corporations. Completely opposite to the USA, our politicians have learned that in the operation of any public corporation the absolute least interference by politicians or politics is the only way to succeed.

I doubt the American government has the ability to operate a healthcare system like ours. The political system and politics are so corrupted and dysfunctional that I fear the attempt at a similar system would just end up as a thousand Walter Reid hospital type situations.

The USA needs political reform much more than it needs any programmes at all. Everything the government does costs ten times more than it could and is ten times more inefficient and ineffective than it should be.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Socially....

Mircea
So glad that never happens in the U.S. ......oh wait.........

Tape shows woman dying on waiting room floor - CNN.com

Patient dies in waiting room at NYC hospital after waiting 24 hours with a blood clot

ER Death Points to Growing Wait-Time Problem - ABC News

At least they'll be happy to know that the great oracle Mircea has figured it out for them; .......... underfunding ...right?

How Many Die From Medical Mistakes In U.S. Hospitals? : Shots - Health News : NPR

Mmmm, it would seem along with folks dying while waiting, some (a whole freak'n lot, actually) are dying for lack of something else. Maybe you need more........ what?

Then there's this little nugget:

Because Fox Asked, Here Are Examples Of People Who Were Denied Health Care | Research | Media Matters for America

and this one:

Hospital delays are killing America's war veterans - CNN.com

and this one:

https://oig.hhs.gov/fraud/enforcemen...nt_dumping.asp

Now what were you saying about poetic justice again?

Old 01-01-2014, 12:54 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Less than yours!

Individual income tax rates table | KPMG | GLOBAL

Top income tax rate: How U.S. really compares - Apr. 1, 2013

Your lower tax rates rise from 15% to 25% at the income level of $34,501.00 while our lower tax rate maintains at that level of 15% until we reach income level $41,544.00. How much healthcare would that fund for you?

Your upper tax rate kicks in at a lower income level than Canada's sooooo..........?

Now let's hit the U.S. corporate tax rate of 40% for a real eye-opener. Although this would not normally serve to foster an argument for universal healthcare it should help to mitigate that "higher tax" boogyman you folks love to trot out when discussing anything Canadian.

Take your deductible from your insurance package and pay that just once and as other posters have already pointed out; you could have had multi-years of higher taxes paying for your stupid healthcare without having to worry if you're going to go through one of those arbitration processes after being denied coverage because you forgot to declare that prescription for Prozac you got back in 1972 for post partem depression.

You people crack me up with this nonsense of comparing marginal tax rates against the nightmares of co-pays, multi-$K deductibles, possible denials, dispute processes, not to mention the outrageous cost of insurance packages to begin with and claiming those 'comparable to your taxes' we pay are exhorbitant in nature. Wow, just wow!
I do not have a deductible, I have a pretty good private insurance plan which does not cost me a ton of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies