Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 06:33 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Its a free market a Tea Partier would love this kind of bill. But of course almost all are on some type of gubbermint program and dont pay anything.
And what kind of "gubbermint program"would you be speaking of? V.A.? I get coverage through the V.A., but then i received a permanent disabling injury while on active duty. because I felt I should help be responsible in keeping our country free, so you can kvetch about it. I will never be able to run, walk any distance, dance, go bowling, all because I was injured while on active duty. I guess, you are upset that if I WANTED to, I wouldn't have to pay for ANY personal health insurance.

EVEN though I have Medical care through the V.A., I pay for health insurance, and have always paid for a health insurance policy, ever since being discharged from active duty.

In fact, I know several people who are members of the tea party, (which I actually am not), and a couple of them were discussing the amount that their insurance costs were going up. If they are paying MORE for health insurance, then they are not "on some type of gubbermint program and dont pay anything", which makes your comment even MORE ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 07:02 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I guess these readers didn't see the article in Time a year or so ago documenting the same thing.

One of the laws a government truly interested in its citizens' welfare could pass, is one that requires transparent and up-front pricing from hospitals.

But our current government isn't interested in this.
That would help but it isn't sufficient. If you have acute appendicitis and need immediate hospital attention then you really don't have the luxury to shop around for the lowest price and especially if the alternative facility is some distance away.

So citizens need some other mechanism to protect them from predatory pricing by health care facilities.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A 20 year old's 2 day $55,00 hospital bill for appendicitis has gone viral around the world - a world that shakes it head and comments in disbelief.

The original bill of $55,000 was reduced to 'only' $11,000 because he was covered by his Dad's insurance.

A 20 Year-Old Got Appendicitis and This Was His Hospital Bill
and???

he received a SERVICE
he received CARE
he received a ROOM AND BOARD for 2 days

Old 12-31-2013, 07:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
This is unsustainable and just a stepping stone to socialized medicine.
agreed. this is serious market failure.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:40 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Conservatives have been trained to make the wealthiest corporations more wealthy. They not only have no problem with stories like these, it actually puts a smile on their face (as long as it is happening to someone they don't know)

To them, stories like this elicit the same response a dog has when it hears food being poured into his bowl.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:47 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
Excuse, but no one never asked me if my money could be used for soldiers healthcare when they signed up voluntarily. If the soldiers were actually acting in defense of this country during a time of legitimate war instead of us being g world police, maybe they deserve it. But any soldier who feels they are entitled to healthcare because they got injured or hurt in Afghanistan or Iraq should learn to deal with the consequences of violating their oath to uphold the constitution, which specifies that a declaration of war most be done in order to engage in war related activities. The war powers act is unconstitutional.. And therefore, all soldiers should have disobeyed the orders given to them to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Unless you are DRAFTED to go into the military, we the people should not have to pay for what happens to them "on the job".

Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Hospitals usually have contracts with insurance companies to accept payment even if it is lower than the actual bill. I have had two surgeries in the last 5 yrs and did not pay one penny. Sometimes people get health insurance with low premiums, but when there is a large bill for things like surgery, there is a huge deductible. They knew this when they opted for the cheaper plan, this is not all that unusual and he can work out an affordable payment plan with the hospital.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:50 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
This is what happens when the government looks the other way when 14 million plus illegals can go to the emergency room .. To off set the cost the hospital has to charge the insurance companies much higher payment to cover all the freebees the hospital gives to those who enter this country illegally.

The American people are being robbed and our government doesn't really care about the middle class. We are in a downward spiral and no democrat wants to fix it. They rather keep the power with freebees to all even though the American people have to suffer the consequences of oppressive hospital bills that will drown the working class.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Hospitals usually have contracts with insurance companies to accept payment even if it is lower than the actual bill. I have had two surgeries in the last 5 yrs and did not pay one penny. Sometimes people get health insurance with low premiums, but when there is a large bill for things like surgery, there is a huge deductible. They knew this when they opted for the cheaper plan, this is not all that unusual and he can work out an affordable payment plan with the hospital.
How does it make sense to charge an insurance company $6,000 for something but someone with no ability to pay it $11,500 for the same procedure?

The question is a bit rhetorical as everyone knows the answer to that.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:55 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The health extortion industry. 21st Century robber barons. Can't we start burning castles somehow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Conservatives have been trained to make the wealthiest corporations more wealthy. They not only have no problem with stories like these, it actually puts a smile on their face (as long as it is happening to someone they don't know)

To them, stories like this elicit the same response a dog has when it hears food being poured into his bowl.
Sutter Health is the same outfit that charged $500 a stitch. They have been cut out of the ACA in California by Blue Cross. Anthem-Blue Cross threatened to cut them out completely but at the last minute-two weeks ago the signed an agreement. Sutter Health calls themselves a non-profit but 28 of their execs in Sacramento are paid more than a million dollars a year. Too bad BCBS didnt pull everyone out and shake up Sutter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/he...-tops-500.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies