Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:14 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Why can't same-sex attraction just be viewed as a simple random attraction such as somebody liking macaroni over pasta; or preferring cookies over brownies; or thinking audi's are cooler than infiniti's?

Why do people demonize this random preference that people have like it's so important?

It's so strange that there is this universal hate of people with this preference in almost every religion? Like really, it's so trivial and random!
Because the Bible demonized it. It's a religion thing, mostly. Atheists and agnostics tend not to care so much, if at all. You tend to find a high percentage of LGBT people in Buddhism, because the morality code doesn't forbid same-sex sexual activity.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
The Bible is clear I am not to Judge but the Bible is clear on homosexuals entering the Kingdom of God and Jesus was clear on this "Repent , for the kingdom of heaven is near." Matthew 4:17.

Repenting is asking for forgiveness and not returning to your sin. Before my Baby Sister passed from this world she Repented I Pray the best for her. Yes she was a lesbian.

brushrunner
The Bible is clear:

2 KINGS 6:29 says: "So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son."

We need to repent and change the law of man as so to allow for parents to BOIL, not fry, their children and eat them.

The Bible is clear.

Astorian31.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
The Bible is clear I am not to Judge but the Bible is clear on homosexuals entering the Kingdom of God and Jesus was clear on this "Repent , for the kingdom of heaven is near." Matthew 4:17.

Repenting is asking for forgiveness and not returning to your sin. Before my Baby Sister passed from this world she Repented I Pray the best for her. Yes she was a lesbian.

brushrunner

You - like so many other fundamentalists - once again deflected the question and didn't answer it. So you DO call for killing innocent women because they were raped, right? The Bible commands it.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:01 PM

16 posts, read 13,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Why can't same-sex attraction just be viewed as a simple random attraction such as somebody liking macaroni over pasta; or preferring cookies over brownies; or thinking audi's are cooler than infiniti's?

Why do people demonize this random preference that people have like it's so important?

It's so strange that there is this universal hate of people with this preference in almost every religion? Like really, it's so trivial and random!

First of all that **** is deeper than,macoroni or pasta
I what if everybody like the same sex the world would end faster that it will naturally
Their never another baby only old and semi old.
And it is a preference among other things such as sin abnormal and some might say disgusting people don't want look at as preference because the world would be better without it

Old 01-11-2014, 07:51 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
The Bible is clear:

2 KINGS 6:29 says: "So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son."

We need to repent and change the law of man as so to allow for parents to BOIL, not fry, their children and eat them.

The Bible is clear.

Astorian31.
Fried children are VERY high in fat and calories. The boiled ones might not taste as good, but they are better for you.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Other than the religious reasons and impossible natural reproduction that have already been explained, I'm of the mindset that sexual orientation is on a continuum as follows.

Many people are completely straight, others are primarily straight but may have an occasional homosexual thought/fling, some people may prefer one way but regularly have sex with the opposite of the preference, some are completely bisexual and prefer either sex equally, others are primarily homosexual but may have a heterosexual relationship for social reasons or just to try it out, others are purely homosexual.

Life has likely always been this way. I would say that most people have had at least one homosexual fantasy in their lives. They may have never acted on it, but the thought was there. I'm sure there have been a lot of men fooling around hunting, fishing, on farms, in wars, in mines, etc, throughout history, as well as women fooling around in homes. The only difference, in my opinion, is that there was more stigma attached and much more was hidden. Due to limits in technology, all you had was hearsay, and little to nothing could be proven unless caught in the fact.

I grew up in a traditional, but not extremely religious, family and sexual orientation was something that just wasn't discussed - you were assumed straight and it wasn't comfortable kitchen table talk. Yet I remember being in middle school and finding one of my male classmates to be extremely attractive, and fantasized about him for years. I prefer women, and have had healthy relationships with women, but have occasionally been attracted to a man (maybe one seriously per year). I'm one of those people that lands on the continuum of "more straight, but occasionally gay." I've never mentioned any of this to my family and don't intend to because sexual orientation is way, way down the list of traits that define me. It's always been insignificant to what people know me for, and unless you are an activist, I feel that many people make too much ado over what should be essentially private business.

It's something that I'm comfortable with these days. I've seen A LOT of discrimination against people who fit gay stereotypes (even though they may not even be gay) here in this extremely backward and Baptist area, and it often leads to mental illness and, in a case of a long time friend, I believe it contributed to his suicide. As someone who has primarily self-identified as a political conservative for the last five years, I find it disgusting how the religious movement has partly defined conservatism as opposing homosexuality, even though conservatism typically implies minimal intervention by government and law into one's private affairs.

Even if I had no homosexual inclination, I couldn't support the local mainline given what I've seen. Moreover, the most virulent anti-homosexual activists are often WAY overcompensating for what goes on behind closed doors. The father of my best friend in high school was a Baptist pastor and I always thought he was homosexual, but he was extremely anti-gay in public. As fate would have it, he was in his early 50s and gets caught with a 16 year old boy. Because the guy was popular in the community, he never went to jail - his gorgeous wife never even divorced him. I don't think he's a "bad guy," but he has problems he needs to deal with. I fully believe the way he grew up and the expectations placed upon on him led to his "deviant" behaviors."

Bottom line is that I think the religious establishment needs to back off and allow private sexual business to be private business. It's fine to have your views and reach out to those who you feel are in need of help, but do not needlessly badger, out, or disrupt their lives. On the flip side, there are elements of the homosexual community that really want to shove this down the throats of traditional people who mind their own business and won't badger those who conduct their sexual business in private.

I think the legal system should acknowledge only civil unions for all couples that confer the legal and civil benefits of marriage today. If a couple wants a religious marriage, that should be performed by ministers who are free to act as they choose, and both straight and gay couples could "shop around" to find something that is agreeable. For the record, I'm for a liberalizing of most sex laws, including incest laws and even some statutory rape laws, especially for parties over 16 years of age. Most of all, can we just get this done and quit wasting our time on tangential issues when the economy is still in the toilet?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Fried children are VERY high in fat and calories. The boiled ones might not taste as good, but they are better for you.
Precisely. God is so omnipotent and benevolent that he knew his shoddy handywork (that be us) would be tempted by the juiciness and crispness of fried children, so he specifically stated in his holy nut-guide, err I mean book, that children should be boiled. He created us with enough defects as it is, he does not want obesity to be another one. He is okay with cannibalism, though, so that's another law we have to change

Old 01-11-2014, 09:45 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
The Bible is clear:

The Bible is clear.

Astorian31.

I fail to see the effectiveness of this argument. Firstly, can you demonstrate anything in 3000 years of history where cannibalism is a part of orthodox Judaism? You sound like another stupid neo-Nazi anti-semite. Secondly, why are you asserting this is in some way part of the Law of Moses in the Torah?

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 01-11-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
So, then, you have no moral objection to pretty much anything, including cannibalism.

I fail to see the effectiveness of this argument.
I think you missed the point. The Bible is a ridiculous source of morals or ethics unless you only pick and choose those select few you would like to take literally, and dismiss all the ones you don't like as either a product of the era or misinterpretation.

Last edited by Astorian31; 01-11-2014 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Firstly, can you demonstrate anything in 3000 years of history where cannibalism is a part of orthodox Judaism?

You sound like another stupid neo-Nazi anti-semite.

Secondly, why are you asserting this is in some way part of the Law of Moses in the Torah?
Where did I say it was? I am only quoting scripture, don't get mad at me and put words in my mouth. I never even mentioned Judiasm. It's not my fault your scripture is ridiculous. If a science text book said the Earth was flat, the book would immediately be discredited as junk by the science community. Don't preach your scripture if you can't stand by all of it.

How can I be a neo-Nazi if I'm a mestizo Latino? I have no wish to exterminate myself, or any other non Aryan race. I'm not anti-Semite, I don't hate Jews nor do I wish any harm to come upon them or any other race for that matter. What I am against are fairy tail beliefs being spun as truth, that includes all religions. When you result to insults in argument, you've already lost.

Where did I say this was the Law of Moses in the Torah? All I said, the Bible says this, and thereby condones it, therefore we must change our laws to agree with the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies