Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,798,305 times

Advertisements

There is nothing intrinically unconstitutional about an Executive Order. But if an EO is used for the wrong thing, then it CAN be unconstitutional.... as many of Obama's are.

Executive Orders are what a President is supposed to use to carry out something passed by Congress (and signed into law by the Prez, of course).

Classic example is, Congress passes something saying that a group of Federal buildings on a corner in DC will be painted brown. Obama signs it into law. Obama then issues an Exec Order to solicit three companies for bids on the painting work, issues another order to check the bidding companies' qualifications etc. Obama is issuing Exec Orders pursuant to something Congress passed into law.

If he's issuing Exec Orders to delay implementation of part of Obamacare for a year, that's the equivalent of issuing an EO to paint the buildings red instead of brown. It does NOT carry out what Congress passed. In fact, it's the act of a dictator with no Congressional oversight or adherence to procedures required by the Constitution, at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,944,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
There is nothing intrinically unconstitutional about an Executive Order. But if an EO is used for the wrong thing, then it CAN be unconstitutional.... as many of Obama's are.

Executive Orders are what a President is supposed to use to carry out something passed by Congress (and signed into law by the Prez, of course).

Classic example is, Congress passes something saying that a group of Federal buildings on a corner in DC will be painted brown. Obama signs it into law. Obama then issues an Exec Order to solicit three companies for bids on the painting work, issues another order to check the bidding companies' qualifications etc. Obama is issuing Exec Orders pursuant to something Congress passed into law.

If he's issuing Exec Orders to delay implementation of part of Obamacare for a year, that's the equivalent of issuing an EO to paint the buildings red instead of brown. It does NOT carry out what Congress passed. In fact, it's the act of a dictator with no Congressional oversight or adherence to procedures required by the Constitution, at all.
There are many that take this view. However, supposedly there is a process and balance of branches. EOs and signing statements seem to me to usurp all of that after the process has supposedly occurred.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:01 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,483,607 times
Quote:

You heard these liberal freaks. They are all chomping at the bit for a dictatorship. They are eager to be controlled and told how to live their lives by an Affirmative Action Community Organizer with no leadership skills.

Democrats got it all wrong, as usual. They are not "liberals" or "progressives." The are fascists. They want one person to dictate everything, with no checks or balances. In short, Democrats are not Americans, but rather the true enemy of all Americans.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,483,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
There are many that take this view. However, supposedly there is a process and balance of branches. EOs and signing statements seem to me to usurp all of that after the process has supposedly occurred.
Executive Orders are precisely that, orders from the Chief Executive to the rest of the Executive Branch. Executive Orders have absolutely no authority beyond the Executive Branch, even though Democrat Presidents like to think they do.

I will continue to purchase my firearms without a background check, and without government knowing anything about the transaction. The Dictator-In-Chief can bite me.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:08 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,946,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Executive Orders are precisely that, orders from the Chief Executive to the rest of the Executive Branch. Executive Orders have absolutely no authority beyond the Executive Branch, even though Democrat Presidents like to think they do.

I will continue to purchase my firearms without a background check, and without government knowing anything about the transaction. The Dictator-In-Chief can bite me.
I will do the same, but he can't bite me... I might catch something I don't want..

Old 01-03-2014, 04:13 PM

18,471 posts, read 7,113,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
well if thats the way you feel, don't be shocked when he signs executive orders.
Fine , then you and the rest of his zombie eyed followers can all move to a desert island someplace where you can proclaim him King ******* and kneel before him awaiting his next asinine, knee jerk proclamation.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,239,557 times
Quote:

I don't think you know how Executive Orders function, and which EOs that Obama has issued been ruled unconstitutional?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,715,233 times
The right to own what they do, shall not be infringed.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,616,411 times
Two terrible EOs that should be ruled unconstitutional. The president does not have the power to make law, which is what these two orders are doing. Executive orders are for carrying out the law, not legislating from the oval office.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,239,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The right to own what they do, shall not be infringed.
Okay....a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies